Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Stopped by my grocery store and was parousing the magazine rack, (I only read Maxim for the articles! HONEST)

Came across the "Premier issue" of REV magazine, touted as a magazine for the "Real world of Off-road motorcycling"

Picked up a copy and it's put out by the people who do A-T-Vworld or some such.

Here is my take, for a first issue it seemed a little light on content but it seems pretty focused on dirt riding. There is a two page article on a female FMX rider (pretty cool) but the MX content was minimal.

The issue covers dual sporting a DRZ400E and an XR650L and gives a comparison. They don't start with $3k in upgrades before kicking the motor over like some magazines, but they also don't comment on the considerable weight of the XRL either. So take it for what it's worth.

They have some neat trail reports on areas across the states (Hatfield/McCoy for example)

There is a comparison of 85cc mini's done by 12-13 year olds.

There is a 250 class trail bike comparison and they include the XR250, TTR 250, WR 250, DRZ250 and the KTM 250 EXC. They admit the bikes are all made for different purposes and rate them as such. (i.e the XR is rated #1 as a trail bike, the WR as the racer etc... not earth shattering but truthful)

A good article on riding in sand.

They didn't seem to be "hard hitting" in any area, overall it was pretty vanilla. But they featured real world bikes,not the unobtanium stuff you see in DR and DB. They actually ride KDX's and XR's in the pictures like a lot of us do.

I liked the fact they focused on the average guy and woods riding.

Take a look.

Rod

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I thought it was 'honest' enough to start a subscription...I've droped DR & DB. RacerX is worth the $$. Since I ride enduro's I'll be getting TrailRider soon even though it focuses on the east coast scene.

I think REV came right out and claimed it wasn't focused on MX content...that's good. I think we have enough mags focused on that aspect of the sport.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
I picked up a copy at Wal-Mart (the second best store on earth next to my favorite bike shop) so you SHOULD be able to get it there.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I got a subscrition card for it in American Motorcyclist (I think that's where it came from) and I'm a little alarmed at the "4 issues per year" line of thinking. THe price is right though.

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
Originally posted by smb_racing
I'm a little alarmed at the "4 issues per year" line of thinking

Me too, but I'm hoping that since we will only see the magazine quarterly, they will have the time to give us some real content.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I agree, it's very good. 4 times a year at $16 is a bit steep but I might bite and hope it gets to be a monthly thing. Heck I already get American Motorcyclist, Trials Comp., RacerX (only the cover this month :ugg:), TransWorld MX, and some other interest magazines what's another?

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Use to be one called 'Four Stroke Dirt Bikes', I don't think it's published anymore. I still have an old copy floating around somewhere.

Matt

Rodzilla

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 21, 1999
I looked and there is no direct website.

But, you can e-mail the editor Glenn Hansen at ghansen@affinitygroup.com

The address is:

REV magazine
Ehlert Publishing Group
6420 Sycamore Lane, Suite 100
Maple Grove, MN. 55369

Subscription cost is $15.97 for US
Canadians add $4
International add $8

Top Bottom