Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
I was wondering if anyone here has any information about Husky's new e-start 450? I go to husqvarnausa and husqvarna.it but naturally that is all Husky PR. Any real world insight would be great. Maybe there are some Euro riders here who have had a chance to ride one. Then again, Europe is getting the 400.

I am worried a 400 might not have enough power and that a 520, 501, 570 or 650 might have too much. That might mean a new 450 is ideal.

I know the bike has done well in Europe in competition, but we all know you can't judge a stock bike by the results of a world class racer on a factory bike.

Anyone??

Greg M

yz 200 guy

Aug 28, 2000
What kind of riding do you do or plan to do with a new Husky 4T? There might be more here than just displacement issues between the 400 and the 450. One is their MX bike and the other is enduro oriented.

How big and tall are you and how fast? Do you want to race it? Having not ridden or even seen the new Huskys, the only advice that comes to mind is to think about the KTM RFS's. Have you ever ridden their 400EXC? That is a nice bike that you can ride rather than pull the trigger from corner to corner. Since WA is not Iowa, think about where you ride (big hills, tight woods, fast fire roads, etc.) as you ponder the bigger 450 vs. the 400.

Bottom line, you should ride the bike before you buy it. That's what I'm doing with my new Gas Gas this winter. Find a dealer that lets you take it round the parking lot at least.

Isn't this a fun problem to ponder - buying a new bike is one of life's special moments.

Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
Yes it is a pleasant dilemma trying to figure out which bike to buy.

The other issues with a 400 is cost. I have ridden a DRZ400 and I don't know if a KTM or other European 400 will be that much faster than the DRZ. I end up paying a premium for a Euro bike but I get no more performance out of it if you know what I mean.

That is why I am leaning towards a Husky 450 or Husaberg 470. Yes I am certain a KTM 400 has plenty of real world power, but I haven't lived in the real world since I was a little kid!!!

Greg M

yz 200 guy

Aug 28, 2000
I haven't ridden the Suzuki, but I know it is wider, softer and heavier than the KTM. This could be good for some riders - it depends on what riding you want to do, how big or tall you are, and what kind of dealer support you have.

When picking a bike, it is time to be honest with yourself. Actually, that is a good thing to do throughout life. It is also a good time to start mooching rides on these bikes. Their is no better way to pick than to ride a bike first.

The Suzuki is also proven, and you can get parts for them easily. The new Husky should be fine, but carries more risk in both those categories. Husaberg? Better have a good, knowledgable dealer nearby...

X-Wrongway

May 11, 2001
The main disadvantage I see to buying a new Husky is the resale value. The KTM's hold their value great. The 2T huskys drop like a stone. If the 4t are anything like the 2t you're gonna get killed on resale. It's unfortunate since they look like great bikes. I may wait a year and try and pick one up for cheap next year.

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
Husky is a tried/true product-not to be purchased with "resale value" in-mind. If you are looking to up-grade every year, then spend less for a Jap-bike. Husqvarna won't let you down.

As far as cc's? Not quite as important as the afore mentioned considerations considering ride style/terrain, etc. Good luck!

Aloooha!
TrailTramp
98'Husky
87'Husky
74'Husky

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Originally posted by yz 200 guy
What kind of riding do you do or plan to do with a new Husky 4T? There might be more here than just displacement issues between the 400 and the 450. One is their MX bike and the other is enduro oriented.

Actually in the US both MX and Enduro are suppose to be 450cc.

Greg M

Jun 25, 1999
That is correct, both of the US models will be 450's. As of right now, my dealer claims the kickstarter and mounting equipment will be included with the bike, but not installed. I believe he quoted me $6,599 as the MSRP for the enduro. That seems basically in-line with other bikes on the market.

I went to a KTM dealer after work and fondled a KTM RFS 400 and 520. They are nice bikes but this place wants, and gets, $585 for freight and assembly on these bikes. That means $8,000 out the door including sales tax. I would have a tough time coughing up $8,000 for a 400 when the 520 is only a couple hundred bucks more.

In fact, this is the basis of my dilemma. I don't know that any European 400 will be that much faster than a DRZ which sells for over $1,000 less. At least if I buy a 450 or 470, I have something to show for my money. I may not need the extra power, and I know that excess power can be a hindrance (former 610 owner) but just a little too much is okay isn't it. ;)

I roder a DRZ and was pretty impressed with two exceptions. It was real heavy and the power was too smooth. No snap at all. Yes a louder muffler would wake the bike up, but I hate noise. The Euros typically have a much better balance between noise and hp. I think Yamaha and Honda are the worst. Does anyone ride an XR or WR and leave the exhaust totally stock? I have never seen one.

Decisions, decisions.

Greg M

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Greg
I understand your dilemma. First off, the reason to buy the euro strokers over the DRZ is simple - suspension. If it comes down to money, get a 2-stroke. I am also contemplating my next steed, looking at the pro's and con's of each model and comparing it against price. I have ridden the exc520 quite a bit and really like it. I've been trying to get a test ride on a new 'berg for comparison purposes. I had a '92 fe501 and loved it. Like you, I would like to hear some info on the new Husky 400/450, but based on previous experience with Husky products I have no reason to doubt that it is excellent (Husky tends to race what they sell). An even better yet is the fact that you can order a set of "shiver" factory forks for the Husky's. I have also talked at length with DRN member weimedog about VOR, he is very pleased with his experience on them.

yz 200 guy

Aug 28, 2000
Greg,
Give Drew Smith at WER a call. Trail Rider had an article about some of the tricks he has used on DRZ's to get them more competitive. Suspension mods, porting, cams, alloy tanks, relocating some of the electrical parts to reduce mud buildup, etc. I know he might be on the other corner of the country from you, but he is a DRZ expert.

Maybe they even have a hot-rodded DRZ that they would sell. It never hurts to ask, my brother has Larry Roseler's KLX365 sitting in his garage because he asked...and the price wasn't too bad for all the tricks this beast has.

Ride (don't fondle!) a KTM 400, it is quite the bike IMHO. Fairly quiet, good ergos, plush suspenders and easy to ride.

yz 200 guy

ToddHawaii

Apr 3, 2000
GregM...I had an opportunity to ride a Yoshimura prepped DRZ400 last month. It belonged to the owner of a Suzuki dealership. The bike was slim, and turned effortlessly. The power is incredibly torquey - not wanting to be reved. The weight wasn't "that" noticeable on the track, or the woods. Not a bad bike with all the mods. But, for about the same price - and a whole lot less work - I would choose a stock KTM400EXC.

Now, I haven't yet had the opportunity to see the new Euro 4-strokes - TM, GasGas, and Husqvarna, but sounds like there will be some really neat rides to choose from.

Aloooha:)
TrailTramp
98'Husky
87'Husky
74'Husky

Top Bottom