dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I just bought the parts to do the top end on my 88 kdx 200. Everything cleaned up well and all was going great until I tried to put the cylinder over the piston. It is so tight I can't get the rings to slide into the cylinder. The piston has the correct clearance (.003) as far as I can tell with the measuring equipment I have here. I got the parts from the local dealer, He says the piston is the correct one. The new piston has a "B" written on the top in ink. I thought I remebered reading that the "B" meant it was the next size from standard. Am I dreaming? The piston part number is 13001-1256. I did two top ends on my 86 KDX without any trouble, the 88 is the same bike. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks
David

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
I checked and the part number and it is the correct one. I doing the work alone, is there a better way to slide the cylinder over the rings?

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Make sure you line up your rings correctly in the pins like in the picture:

Attachments

• pins.jpg
    pins.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 310

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Do an end gap measurement of your ring’s in the bore of the cylinder. That’ll tell you if you have the right ones.

Last edited:

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by dsndblm
I checked and the part number and it is the correct one. I doing the work alone, is there a better way to slide the cylinder over the rings?
First, check the ring end gap in the cylinder --just the rings with no piston. There's an item called a ring compressor that can be used that makes the job easier --or -- install the piston & rings into the cylilnder on your workbench, then align rod & pin holes & insert wrist pin & circlip. A clean rag tightly stuffed arount the rod holds it in place.

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Thanks for the info everyone. I have the rings postitioned as shown in the drawing, and checked the ring gap per my service manual, all is good. Has anyone tried putting the piston in the cylinder and then attaching it to the rod? Would doing it this way twist the piston and rings too much?

wallasaki

May 23, 2002
Newbie speaking from experience here: Make sure rings are installed w/ markings facing the top of the cylinder - its tough to get into cylinder w/ this scenerio.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: Has anyone tried putting the piston in the cylinder and then attaching it to the rod?

Most folks, probably.

Once you get it started, stick your fingers in the intake to guide the rings (ensure they are fully seated in the ring land) past the port edge the first time.

BTW, the crank IS stuffed with nice clean rags, right? Don't be messing with clips with the crank well open!! And don't forget to put the second clip in!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom