Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
Ok...so new in fact that I do not yet own a bike :-)

Just saying hello now that MXGirl230 pointed me to this forum.

I plan to do most of my riding around my home (Dexter area) but when I go camping a few times a year I am up in Mio near Bull Gap.

I will be up there over Mem-day weekend and plan to check out some of the trails near where we camp as well as try to stop in and see some people at the trail heads and get a feel for what people are riding there.

I am thinking about a dual-purpose 250cc bike so I hope some are there and I can chat a bit with riders.

Will

24mph,m/l

Rookie

BE CAREFUL ! I have taught several people to ride trail bikes, and the scariest are the ones who own a street bike. Since they already know how to clutch, shift, brake and twist the throttle, they often get way over their heads quickly. I'd rather teach a complete newbie. Take your Blue Cross card and some Motrin along.
Once you adapt to the dirt, you may find you no longer like riding pavement.

Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
Well I no longer have the CBR but when I did I was NOT one of the wheelie popping crowd. I had respect for the bike. I drag race a car now :-)

I plan to do 60% - 70% of my riding on dirt roads and pavement so the trail portion will be a treat any chance I get.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
The new WR 250 from Yamaha or the XT (if you are short legged) are great entry level dual purpose bikes. That WR has been updated this year to be a cross between the old TTR and the better performing WR. Very nice bike. Suzuki's DRZ line can also fit the bill if you like the yellow brand better.

GregB

Aug 22, 2005
Will, I began trail riding a few years ago on a TTR-250 and moved up to a WR 250 last year. The TTR is a good bike for dual sport and/or getting introduced to enduro riding. I don't know much about the new WR 250R, as described in the postings above.

I am giving thought to selling my old TTR 250, so if you might be interested in that bike...let me know. It's a 2001.

Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
The WR250R is one of the two bikes I am currently comparing. Problem is touching the ground :-)

I need to get the bike away from the others in the store lineup, IE, domino effect, and out into the lot. Then get someone to spot me while I hop on and see what happens.

The other bike is the Kawa KLX250S

Both are pretty entry level as far as power (cc) and not tooooo terribly expensive so if I don't like the power or don't use the bike as often....not a total waste of money.

Anyone going to be up in Mio over mem-day weekend and want to show me around some bikes? I will be hovering around the ORV parking lots to see what people are riding. Hovering in a non-creepy way I hope....

Will

Renthorin

Mar 31, 2008
Ok, had the sales guy pull it out into the lot and spot me.

I hopped on and was able to touch the ground on both sides, though on my tip toes. He said there is some amount of adjustment I can do that will lower it a bit and it should lower itself a little one I begin riding.

It won't be until this winter or next spring but I am pretty certain that is the bike I will get - Yamaha :-)

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Renthorin said:
It won't be until this winter or next spring but I am pretty certain that is the bike I will get - Yamaha :-)

Good choice. Rumor has it that Northwest Airlines and Yamaha North America 2 stk division are partnering up. :cool:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
With 2 MI races I think the distr.14 enduro chapter is in that partnership as well.... :yikes:

Top Bottom