RacinJason44

Nov 17, 2009
Well, first post at DRN, I guess I am supposed to stop here first.

I have a 1998 RM125 I picked up about a year ago. I took it out the other day and for some reason it wouldn't go into 5th or 6th gear. I had just changed the oil, I use the recommended 10w40, and had not had any problems with the trans before hand. Instead of going into 5th it would hit a false neutral. Now I can't get it out of neutral. I read that some people recommended type F ATF for this bike, so I tried that this evening. I started it up and let it run for a bit, and that's when I couldn't get it out of neutral, after I changed to ATF. Before that it was going into 1st and 2nd fine. Any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Welcome to DRN Jason.

You may want to post this in the Two-Stroke forum. More people will see it.

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
possible cause shifting

Try inspecting the ratcheting mechanism located behind or under the clutch, inspect the oil draining out of the engine. is it clean or is there particulate in it? Look for any thing broken in the shift mech.
I was able to repair a Husaberg at the colorado gold rush 500 that had the same symptoms. One of the articulating pins located on the end of the shifting drum, a paul on the end of an arm or link interacts with these pins to do gear selection, had busted in half & was laying in the case right below were it belongs. No other damage had occurred.
Luckily, my friend Mr. Matt Sweeney ( a scca rally racer) had his support truck there & in it we found a drill bit that was the right size ! We ground it to the right length, installed it with loctite & staked it with a center punch to ensure it stayed put. The guys bike broke on day 2 of a 5 day ride, on day 3 we fixed it to the guys amazement of how simple the repair was. He was happy as a clam & finished the rest of the ride.
I was rewarded with free food & beer at dinner for the rest of the week. :ride:
IT WAS A FINE WEEK! Good Luck, Best regards, Porkchop ;)

Top Bottom