Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
My 2003 KTM 300 EXC seems to be making some un-natural noises. It doesn't run different or badly, just noisily during some RPM ranges. Wondering if anyone has had the same experience.

Talking with a friend that I let ride it suggested that it might be the tension on the powervalve. Any hints or suggestions? I would really appreciate it.

Randy

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
What kind of noises, at what RPM ranges? My Dad's '02 300 makes a variety of noises itself, as did his 380...
I can really hear the chain making noise on his 300. Make sure that it isn't hitting the "guide" or guard up near the front sprocket. Also, his guide on the swingarm was bent and causing the chain to rub there.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
It's definitely engine noise. I am sorry I didn't specify exactly that it was engine noise. I guess when I mentioned the possibility of the powervalve making noise I made a mistake and assumed everyone new I was talking about engine noise.

The noise is not evident at idle, it begins to occur as the RPMs increase from about 1/4-1/2 throttle to about 3/4 throttle. Still wondering about the powervalve issue and if anyone has had experience with the powervalve tension causing strange noises as it seems the noises occur possibly during the opening and closing of it.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey moto,

my '01 does this, sort of a clattering sound as the pv opens & closes. no biggie. betcha derin's bike does it too.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Lawman,

Darin and I were the ones discussing it and he was the one that came up with the powervalve theory. His doesn't clatter as loudly as mine was the whole issue.

Bfaster

Aug 26, 2002
If the powervalve on my bike is making that noise, it would only be at the beginning of the ride. Nice job of getting me to chime in John! :)

Randy's is as noisy as my son's KX when you have it apart and operate it manually. It sounds like it is opening very fast. I know it can be adjusted, I just dont remember the details.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
John,
We are in the process of training my two older ones to ride the woods. They have no fear when it opens up, but the trees give them fits. The 13 year old attempted a hill that I wasnt planning on climbing. :uh: Before motohead gives me Cr*p, it took me three tries before doing it twice. :yeehaw: Let me know if you got a training area in Memphis, I will make a weekend trip.

Darin

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
darin,

just trying to add a little levity to the proceedings!

we have some pretty good riding up here, incl. a private place (other than it is blazing hot). let me know when you can make it (after i get my bike back together), & we'll do a ride!

randy, i don't know what the noise is, if it hasn't always done it. the 300's p.v. seems pretty rackety to me, brand new. i have my engine out of the frame for the annual freshening-up, i'll see what the p.v. looks like.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
John,

Thanks for the info, and I would be interested in hearing what you find out. I didn't notice it at the White Rock Enduro, but have every ride since then. Maybe it is just particularly noisy. :ugg:

If you take Darin riding, make sure the hills aren't too big that his kids don't embarass him. His son made farther up one tiny little hill than he did this weekend. ;)

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
randy,

what, he couldn't get the power valve to open? can't get up a hill in louisiana? the biggest hill there is the overpass over the interstate!

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
I knew this was coming. We need to go do a big boy ride. Maybe you guys need to show up at the Hare scramble. We can see how big the hills are. :flame:

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
4 ft, hunh? what is that, the 2d highest point in louisiana? look who suddenly wants to get back on the topic! randy, remind me to tell you about the time in an enduro when i came upon darin stuck on a bump about 1ft hi, couldn't get his bike started. at least he's consistent!

i dunno about riding with you guys, anyway, you've got newer bikes than mine! hmmm, maybe i need a new 1.....then we could hear the noises made by a brand new 1....hmmmm

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by D Lafleur
You are hijacking your own thread! Arent you interested in why your bike is making obscene noises? :moon:

Pardon the interruption. Please continue with any suggestions you may have on why my bike is so noisy. Please direct hill climbing suggestions to "Wardy's Riding Techniques"

Thank you. That is all.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Maybe we should move the hill climbing fiascos to a new forum. We could call it the "Darin's no riding Techniques" . By the way John S. arm is broken. He is now an official member of ADR. For those that don't understand, you have to ride out on your own to be considered "hard" enough. He will be out for six weeks. :| He is bummed.

Top Bottom