acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Does anyone know if 2-stroke bikes with the right dual-sport gear can be registered for street use in NY? Im just wondering because in 2 (more like 1 year since my birthday is in 3 weeks) years I'll be 16 and I can ride on the street then.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I got my '01 KE100 registered, but that came street legal from the factory. I have looked it up before and im pretty sure you can, with proper mirrors, signals, etc. Im not exactly positive on how to do it though. Where in NY are you from?

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Pyro, I live on Long Island. I want to register my CR250 as a dual sport after I all the gear for it because I wont have enough money for the Yzf-R1 I want when I turn 16.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
acanz said:
because I wont have enough money for the Yzf-R1 I want when I turn 16.

You want an R1 for your first street bike at 16? Buddy, not having enough money for that bike is fate working on your side.

acanz

Damn Yankees
Dec 7, 2004
Casper250 said:
You want an R1 for your first street bike at 16? Buddy, not having enough money for that bike is fate working on your side.

Thats basically the same thing my dad said. Do you think some like the R6 would be better?

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
How about a nice Ninja250? I know a couple of guys that are around 20 yrs old that have them. Save the R6 idea until you get REAL good. I would call your local DMV about the CR and find out local laws and such. I live in upstate NY, right between Albany and Binghamton, so the regulations might be different.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
It is very difficult to register any bike where the VIN is tagged as "off road vehicle only" in New York state. Even if you go to the trouble to dual sport it out and add all the dot legal stuff, the DMV normally refuses to consider it.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
acanz said:
Thats basically the same thing my dad said. Do you think some like the R6 would be better?
:yikes:

Get a Ninja 250 and save your life, at the most I would say get the EX 500. It will still go a 120mph, but it gives you a better shot of living than a R6. You just have to understand the power these things make, it is sick. I rode street bikes for almost 12 years before giving up and doing it in the dirt. The performance 600 are just to much for a new rider under the age of 25. That is my .02cents. Some people may ask why 25 is the magic number. It isn't. But I remember how dumb I was from the age of 16-26ish. I should be dead if anyone should. Get a sensible bike. If you want a list I could produce one.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I agree with Ty. A new street rider does not need a superfast bike to learn on for the street. I think 25 is the magic number because thats about the point where common sense becomes the main brain factor, not stupidity. Thinking back to when I was a teen driver, I wonder how I made it this far at times. Insurance companies also consider a 25yr. old not as much as a risk factor. Then combine marriage & kids and you are deemed a more responsible driver. At least on paper ;) I told my son his arse will not be on a street bike until he is at least 21.

Sam27

Oct 3, 2004
Acanz, take a look at the 250 street bikes like Rebels and Ninjas. All of these bikes are plenty fast. Your biggest challenge will be driving defensively enough to keep from getting run over. (You will be INVISIBLE to a lot of drivers.) One of my son's friends was killed by an SUV on Monday, while legally riding his Ninja 250 about 2 miles from our house. The SUV was stopped at a stop sign, yielded for another SUV on the main road, then pulled right out in front of Ty.

I don't want to see anything posted about you on here next August except happy birthday wishes! :laugh:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom