smooth sail

Dec 10, 2001
I have purchased and installed the EBC oversize rotor (280mm). Man what a monster that thing is compared to stock! Here is the question/problem. With the KX routing the brake line under the fork, the stock brake line is rather tight- too tight for my taste, and I feel that it could become a safety issue. The caliper is moved much further away from the stock position, and because of it location, it has taken nearly all the slack out of the line. A Fastline braided line for the 97-2000 KX's looks long enough,(approx 20mm more) and still routes the factory way, however the stock line clamp on the KX has a step in it that captures the stock line and holds it firm, the Fastline is a single diameter at the bottom. When tightened, I think it will crush the Fastline hose. Routing CR style is not an option for me. This bike already has an affection for fork guards, cracking the mounting holes regularly. I can only imagine what will happen when the top guide is removed, and a brake line is flexing the top. Any suggestions or comments? Yamaha and Suzy riders- are the brake hose clamps at the bottom of the forks stepped or one diameter? Thanks!
Smooth

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I put the oversized Am-Pro rotor on mine, I didn't find a problem with the line length. I've removed the guides on my fork guards, and mounted part of the guide onto the left guard (the part that the brake line runs through), it works great. I've never had a problem with breaking fork guards. When I replace my front brake line (soon), I'm going to route it CR-style, I'm finding that the fork guards can handle it.

Anyone know why Kawasaki puts such small fork guards on? I'd love to adapt some CR or RM guards on instead. Anyone tried this?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I fitted a Cr guard over a KX std one-it was major hassle and didnt look very nice.It did allow me to route the hose Cr style.The best way would be to find some CR fork legs(only the bottom cast part) but this is seriously overdoing it.

Mack Reed

Oct 24, 2001
I mounted the CR route on my KX using the stock fork guards. I got a line from AM pro racing or Pro Am racing. Not sure about the name. The line came with a aluminium mounting block. I had to cut the left fork guide where the cable and guard go through. I have not had any problems with the guards breaking. I will take a picture and send it in if any of you would like to see how it looks. Mack.

smooth sail

Dec 10, 2001
Mack,
I'd like to see those pics when you can. I have done some research over the last two days. The Yamaha brake line retainer (p/n 90465-16258 ,2000-up YZ) is one diameter through its length. 8.00 for both halves at the Yamaha dealer. The mount holes line up perfectly with the Kawasaki forks. I had two nuts mig welded on the back of one of the halves, KX style for mounting, and have a 97-2000 Fastline coming UPS ( all Fastlines on sale at www.gopartsdirect.com). I think this is going to work fine- I'll let y'all know if anyone is interested. i can't wait to get this thing finished- Gorr porting, Jeremy sprung, EBC braked-woo hoo! Also, dont bother getting caliper/master cylinder crush washers from Kawasaki. They are 2.75 each here at the local dealer. A Raybestos washer from the auto parts store works fine for .59 cents.
Smooth
P.S. I looked seriously at a Husqvarna fork guard. They have a really slick way of retaining the brake line also. The measurements look very close to the stock KX guard, and they appear to be plenty stiff.You know, someone could make a bunch of money making small adapters for each model of bike- KX,RM,YZ, to adapt the CR guard and brake hose retainer to the different fork legs.:confused:

Last edited:

Mack Reed

Oct 24, 2001
Cam and Smooth
I put the pic on the DNR picture area. Just go in and look up my pics.They are under Mack Reed.

Cam
I emailed you but could not get the pic to attach.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom