YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Ok, I just traded in my old 2-stroke for a newer ktm 4 (thanks Cal)... My question is not how to change the oil and filters, but why they decided to make it so complicated...

Why does my ktm need 2 oil filters (not cheap if you buy oem) AND 2 screens?? Why not just have a standard oil filter like every street bike I've owned for the last 12 years of my riding career?? What makes this ktm so hard on oil that it needs so many levels of filtration??

- B

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
While I'm ranting, what is up with the factory reccomended valve adjustments every 15 freaking hours?? My street bike can go 26k before its first adjustment... Granted, it is an I-4, but even ducatis can go 6k between adjustments...

- B

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Oh, and don't get me wrong... I LOVE this bike... It is so easy to start for a 4-stroke, and has torque out the butt... Other than my dumb ass flipping it over in a creek and flooding it w/ muddy water at sunday's race, it has ran absolutely perfect!

- B

KatoomMan450

Apr 14, 2005
I am also wondering this same question as I just purchased a 05 450exc. I understand that this is a totally different beast then my xr600 and it is going to require more maintence. I was also wondering what oil everyone is using? The manual sais to use 10w-50 but most of the oils I've found are 20w-50? Is this ok. And also is everyone changing there oil filters every oil change? Thanks alot guys.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I've "heard" that once the motor is broken in, you can get away with changing the filter every 2nd or even 3rd oil change... I'm a bit worried about the screens as everyone has told me how easy the one is to strip... Which brings me back to my point... Why all the madness in the 1st place??

- B

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
Another question...

I use Pro Honda oils 10/40 in my cbr1000rr... It says that it is approved for ALL Honda 4-stroke engines... Will this be fine for my katoom?? I figure if it is good enough for the crf450r, then it would be fine for my 400sx....

- B

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Last year I bought a new left over 03 525sx, when new they need their valves adjusted at 3 an then at 10 hours then check them every 15. When new I always changed the filters when i changed the oil, but I have since switched to every other time. My front/bottom screen bolt has stripped out, I just haven't removed it since. I figure the magnetic drane plug, the other screen and filters will pick up anything it misses. And if it is a total failure some where it ain't going to make a difference. Adjusting these valves is very easy compared to a CRF450. Here is a good sight with tons of info.
http://www.ktmtalk.com/

sloopy

Feb 16, 2004
i have a 04 450 exc and i use harley davidson v rod oil its the same grade that ktm calls for and it is only 4 dollars a quart instead of the ten dollars for other stuff. also i only change my filters every other time. when you clean the screens just be carefull.

Top Bottom