Ok, ok...I'm cancelling MXA

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Well I would give it a go...but I can already hear the Hi-Torque lawyers knocking at my door because of my secret spy photo.:)

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Rich can you fill me in abit about Jody? I know there are some let say "issues" with the guy, but I am clueless when it comes to MXA staff (or is that a good thing:confused: )

pvb

Apr 20, 2001
I hope Damon Bradshaw reads this after being crucified by MXA. It's about time Jody WEASEL (there's a profound meaning there) got a little of what he dishes out.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
but I am clueless when it comes to MXA staff

Pretty much sums up the folks your asking about.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by CanadianRidr
Rich can you fill me in abit about Jody?

As with most things in life it's best to form your own opinion. My opinion is just that MY OPINION :D

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich
As with most things in life it's best to form your own opinion. My opinion is just that MY OPINION :D
And that is why I have the respect that I do for the man... He has no problem telling you what he thinks, but has enough confidence in himself and respect for others to want you to form your own opinion. Rare to have in today's society... But Richy is not your average dude either. He may not write a magazine, though he could, but what this guy adds to the sport in a week is more than the entire crew at MXA will ever add. If you saw the guy at DW01 you know what I mean, he was all over the place... Flagging events, fixing bikes, pulling motors... why? because the dude just loves the sport so much he wants everyone to have a good time. His time is given with out regard to himself rather he knows who he is helping or not. Get on the bad side of him or his pals and guess what... you have lost one of the best resources dirt biking has ever known (at least in my time), and more than that you have lost THE best resource of humanity in any sport IMO.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Re: CRF450R

Originally posted by Tolson
Don't knock the triple offset change until you try it.

And as for the crappy California dirt that was a joke.

Not a single person that rides for MXA works for Yamaha despite what you guys think. My Dad (Alan Olson) is Dubach's mechanic, but he does it because he loves it.

I didn't mean to backpedal on the test if that's the way it sounded. The bike doesn't turn. Changing the triple clamp offset and the springs helped resolve the problem. End of story.

I hope the Cannondale succeeds with their four-stroke and resolves the teething problems. Maybe at that point they'll let us test another bike.

Now I'm off trying to figure out exactly what barometric pressure is and why it might affect my (product plug) Renthal soft half waffle grips.

Sincerely,

Tim Olson
Motocross Action

I don't subscribe to MXA, and I ALWAYS take anything that Jody says with 2 grains of salt.

Tim:
I gotta hand it to you for sticking around with all of these flames lapping at your backside - it can get pretty hot in here.

That being said - Perhaps you can find a way to filter out the un-warranted hotter remarks and take the essence of the complaints being lodged here and make MXA a better publication.

I, for one, tend to agree with some of the comments regarding journalistic integrity (or lack there of) based on the issues of MXA I have purchased in the past. Notice that I said in the past... I can't remember the last time I picked up an MXA to even thumb through, much less to buy.

Sincerely,
jeffd

Last edited:

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Not that an average rider's opinion on the actual bike originally referred to matters here, but...

I rode one last weekend, and (check my writing style, familiar?)

it had WAY more throttle response than I thought it would
it felt lighter than I thought it would on the straights
it felt heavier than I thought it would in the corners
it had less compression braking than I thought it would
suspension worked better than I thought it would--better than my 2001 CR250
power was smooth and seamless
brakes were typical Honda-top notch
handling was exactly like I expected--not as good as a two stroke...but then, I'm a two stroke guy anyway.

Would I buy one? No. Did I have fun riding it? Sure. Was it hard to start after I killed it and twisted the throttle like a bone head? Of course.

As a side note, these bikes are not quite as annoying to listen to when you are the one twisting the throttle.

Last edited:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
No repsonse yet... nothing, zip, nada. Must be heavily involved in that silencer plug shoot-out.:scream:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
LOL I can't wait to find out which one works better!!
The rubber plug one or the billet plug ? Hmmmm
My guess is the shinier one, you know how simple minds are intrigued by shiny things:confused:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by motometal

I rode one last weekend

i looked at one today. not to buy, just checking it out. i think that silencer did come off an oil tanker.:eek:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
One More Time

Tim,
Since you chose to wimp out last time and not debate the few basic questions I asked back in Sept. Here is one more chances to redeem youself.

Regards,
Sawblade

Re: CRF450R vs. YZ426

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Tolson
Root of the problem since 1973.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tim,
Why not be the root of the solution? This statement demonstrates the overall negativity that MXA has portrayed for years. Pull Jodys head out of Kalifornia. There's a much larger world of MX other then then movieland!

Print factual information that your readership can relate to outside of Kalifornia. Hell, print what you posted here about the CR450F when you write up the test story, you may find it refreshing! Hint, what I would spend my money on (To bad you didn't put this in the article).

If you guys ran your business the same as you did 15 or 20 years ago in the "real" world, pun intended. You wouldn't have a job. I know I wouldn't. I don't run my business the same as I did a year ago. It's called keeping ahead of the curve. You need to look at the surveys you conduct each year in your magazine, and on your web site when you have contest. Does it really matter if I have a BMX bike? Survey's can tell a lot, but only if you ask better questions. Many of these questions are turning 15 years old. Do your really know your customer? How is your readership compared to last year? Is your business growing?

MX has changed a lot in the last 20 years. MXA has not. I'm not talking about changing your principals on some types of advertisements. I'm more concerned with factual information in test of bikes and products.

To say the least your bike test format is very long in the tooth. Question One: How fast is it? Question Two: Hows the suspension? Etc. Please come up with a different format!

One last comment. How come Jody Weisel doesn't post on DRN? Are you doing his dirty work as the song says? Or is he the lurking type?

Sincerely,

Sawblade

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Re: One More Time

Originally posted by Sawblade

To say the least your bike test format is very long in the tooth. Question One: How fast is it? Question Two: Hows the suspension? Etc. Please come up with a different format!

[/B]

Oh come on, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't hear what type of power I was dealing with, bruupp, braappp, buurrrpp, bada-bing, bada-boom, pphhhttt or just plain old fuzzy fart (which is one of the 7 types of way to expel gas) :scream:

I know, now I'm just being mean:debil:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I gotta hand it to you for sticking around with all of these flames lapping at your backside - it can get pretty hot in here.

Disagree.
Again, he is NOT adressing the questions. End of story.

It would be awe-inspiring, however, if an ASS avatar (tattood with MXA nonetheless :D ) were applied--yet he showed up frequently to debate the attributes of the varioius silencer plugs....;)

THEN, I would respect him.:debil:

Joe Turner

Jan 1, 2001
tolson - in a fight its usually a bad idea to lead with your head

i haven't seen a beating like that since someone stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Great, I just spit chocolate chip cookies ALL over my monitor-thanks sooo much Joe! LMAO

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ivan - Stop sniffing glue at work. Weird things come out of your keyboard when you do :scream:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
OR

Maybe the Internet sites just don't give a damn about stepping on their crusty old yellow toes because it will soon enough that the magazines will be trying to buy advertising on them? Sure there will always be a market for them but, where do you get the most daily news from a newspaper off your front step or the Internet? The day is near that we'll be able to affordibly take an electronic WEB browser in the can with us. Then we won't have to wait to see 3 and 4 month old information while ya' pinch one off.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I must admit I picked up six copies of MXA today.

Then turned them upside down behind the Better Homes & Garden and Green Living magazines.:p

Then I went to the front desk and asked if they carried Racer X, Transworld MX, and Cycle News. The girl said no but if the demand was there they would. I explained to her that if they did there was a very good chance every issue would go early in the display cycle because they were the magazines "we" were looking for. She asked specifically about MXA since it always seemed to have several left on the shelf each month. I went and grabbed one, took it to her and showed her all the ads and little content then told her it wan't something I would be buying. Seemed to make an impression on her as she was the manager.:)

Now just imagine if everybody in this thread did the same.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by nephron

Disagree.
Again, he is NOT adressing the questions. End of story.

It would be awe-inspiring, however, if an ASS avatar (tattood with MXA nonetheless :D ) were applied--yet he showed up frequently to debate the attributes of the varioius silencer plugs....;)

THEN, I would respect him.:debil:

Dang - can't you see I was trollin'??:scream:

Seriously, tolson does appear to be rather content with the arse whippin' goin on in here. Otherwise we might be hearing a little bit more of his side. :think

Then again, it isn't too wise to bring a knife to a gun fight, and there are plenty of loaded guns in here just waiting to go off on tolson!

My only point was that if you want to lodge a constructive complaint then do so, however, if the message is too bloody hot it will surely go undelivered.

-jeffd

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Not that this is truly related to this thread, but why is it that the only time Tim posts anything on our site is when their is a Flame thread about MXA? If he has something to say, why doesn't he post in a forum just like everyone else? Does he simply like getting flamed?

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by spanky250
Not that this is truly related to this thread, but why is it that the only time Tim posts anything on our site is when their is a Flame thread about MXA? If he has something to say, why doesn't he post in a forum just like everyone else? Does he simply like getting flamed?
Could be one of two reasons.
  1. Deep down he really likes us and he wishes he could be one of the gang.
  2. Him and Grody get tanked up and post on DRN and laugh their nuts off.
    [/list=1]By the way, reason number two is what got me hooked on DRN, Only I wasn't with Jody, or anyone else for that matter. But Super Hunky stopped answering my email so I got lonely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom