Superduty

Feb 18, 2002
I bought my YZ 250 when I lived in CO, bike was setup for 5,000 foot and above elevations. I live in CA now and do most of my riding around 3,000 feet. The bike seems to run hot when I ride trails, but took it to Sand Mountain Nevada last year and overheated badly (was a hot day and had no paddle) Took it to Dumont Dunes this past weekend this time with a paddle ran much better, but still wanted to spit coolant. Any ideas for me?

Superduty

Feb 18, 2002
Gee, thanks for the smart ass reply. I'm not a motorcycle guru like youo must be, that's why I came to this forum to learn. :moon:
Now can someone with some intelectual skills answer the question for me, is this what's causing my overheating?

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
It wasn't meant to be a smart ass reply. Just a light hearted one :D. I would start with the jetting just for the fact that you know that the bike is set up for 5000 feet. If your bike was set up for higher elevation then the jetting was leaned out a bit. This is likely the cause of your overheating problem at the lower elevation and under heavy load. It would be a good idea to contact a Yamaha dealer and find out what your stock jetting is supposed to be and start from there. That way you can compare stock to what you have now and make adjustments accordingly.

You could do a search here and you should find tons of jetting info.

There could be other reasons for over heating too, like an air leak at the reed block or base gasket, low coolant level in the radiator, bent radiator fins which will effect air flow. You should start with the basics first though. Just my opinion.;)

Superduty

Feb 18, 2002
Thanks, I apologize. That's the bad thing with the internet, it's hard to tell when people are joking. I will give the jetting a try.

Top Bottom