77pe

Aug 4, 2010
Hey guys,
I have a 1977 suzuki pe250 that I was re sealing the clutch cover on,so I finished sealing it up and Put it all back together,I went to go take for a ride, put it in first gear and it rode fine until I tried to shift into second gear, when I pushed up the shifter the bike just went into neutral, no matter how hard I pushed the shifter up it will not go into second or any other gear but first,any help would be appreciated, thanks

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
Sounds like your shift lever may be positioned too high, and hitting on the frame or bottom of the engine when you are trying to pull it up. That's an easy fix.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Some how, the shifter shaft has become out of proper relation to the shifter drum. The trans has to be in neutral, the shift drum star has to be in the middle to align with the shift shafts middle also, they have dots or index marks to align in the middle. The outer clutch cover holds the shaft in place, some also have a piece of plastic on the shift lever side to stop it from disengaging. Vintage Bob

77pe

Aug 4, 2010
Idont think that my shift lever is hitting anything because it's moving the full amount of travel it should be it's just not engaging anything except for first, vintage bob how would one go about fixing the problem with the shift shaft coming out of alignment with the drum?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
There is a spot on the inside of the case that holds it in? There is a plastic tube that slides over the shift shaft and before the shifter goes on? You can not have more than a thick hair of in and out play, it will become disengaged and out of sequence again. Falling over on the shifter or a crash, or someone forgot all the parts? I like to use a piece of pvc pipe, like 1/2 pipe", cut it square and it will hold the shaft into position, as long as the shifter stays tight. You are just filling the gap. Once the clutch cover is in place, most models will not move back and forth, and some do.

77pe

Aug 4, 2010
Thank you vintage bob,just out of curiosity, on a completely unrelated note i was doing some thinking yesterday and I was wondering if a motor from an rm250 would be a straight swap into a pe250 or would I have to do some fabrication to make it fit?

Top Bottom