Piglet/Boar Enduro Weekend at Clear Creek

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Affording a 3-day weekend allowed myself and others to gather at one of central California’s coast premiere events. I was to arrive earlier in the day but with a misunderstanding of wsmc831’s comments thought he was only to attend Sunday’s event. Turns out he did in fact show with a friend and had a day’s worth of riding, which I found out while wandering thru the event’s organizer’s camp – the latter were out working the course.

About that time a handsome fellow approached us, asking about the camping and campsites. He happened to have a DRN hat, of which when I questioned its source he mentioned it being a gift from his girlfriend, off of an internet site she frequents. His name is Buddy, and Firelilly (Mini) the giver of the hat. After introducing myself, we decided to wander back towards the entrance and establish a stake, a wagon circle for the DRNers at the camping overflow area.

One of the organizers came to check on the situation, seemingly upset, asking who had let us into the area prematurely. And seeing we knew nothing of it he went off rambling to himself as if to solve the mystery.

As Buddy and I were setting up, his new trailer-toy hauler and my tent, none other than the tall logger from the north, our own Paul Bunyan, NVRFNSH, pulls in his quad cab, long-bed diesel, 4WD with the mobile Hilton in tow. Now he is not intending to but readily displays his confidence in maneuvering his giddy up like a seasoned 18-wheeler truck driver; nonetheless I came away impressed, and haven’t seen like man-handling of machinery since coming off of the farm.

Others wandered in on their minutes, some after dark (sp?): Jonala; later his brother; Justine and Karna (did I get it right?), Getometca. There were others later and next day, but I was too busy helping the club with the events to have the time to introduce my ever-so-humble self.

Having the hunger of a man on the road my fixings for the evening was taking shape on the camp stove: a formed burger (natural beef!) between slices of (dare I say these days) French bread. It’s funny how something so bland can be scrumptious in the wild. I took my hand-held dinner over to Jonala as he was firing up his grill. We chatted as he turned his thinly sliced and marinated meat, while efficiently heated some canned string beans with the residual heat.

Later that evening Getometca puts together a multi-course meal for all to enjoy – what a champ. As the crowd dwindles, Farmer John comes in NVR’s trailer as I’m about to leave, but gives us some entertaining stories of his adventures and exploits. I’m on the edge of my seat the whole time, but at midnight we call it a – uh – night.

It was downright cold outside, and NVR was kind enough to offer up some square footage if I was so inclined, but decided to “rough it” in my tent, but told him not to be surprised if I wiggle in for some warmth if need be. Turns out I was plenty warm in my zero-degree bag once my toes and hands caught up with the rest of my body.

In the morning I poked my head out of the tent to see a winter wonderland on the thin. I say thin ‘cuz there’s this frost over everything. Being from the colder part of the state I gave it a measuring-stick approach to the temperature by blowing out a lung’s worth. It went 2 feet. That translates into 25 degrees F. And I was told later it was as low as 23! I haven’t lost it.

Since I wasn’t riding the piglet but rather volunteered to assist the promoting club, those of us doing so were asked to arrive at nine-o’clock to receive our assignments. Jonala and NVR were to be at an observation check at 11, me at check #5. As we returned back to camp, the others were busy about their ways, getting ready for the enduro. And once they were off, we let out a sigh of relief, a-la empty nesters. Those who arrived in the morning were Ggoja, Mcassle, Deano and Fred.

As it turned out I was assigned to work the same check with wsmc831. He drove up to the spot, and I followed. It was at the base of a long, whooped-out downhill just after a stream crossing and before the gas stop. My assignment was to log in all of the rider numbers vs. their arrival minute.

After some 30-minutes of diddle-daddling, the first wave came thru, then another and so on until our own cam in. the first was Mcassle, defending his last year’s takings of the 4 stroke C honors. He was pleased with his progress so far and appreciated the encouragement. Then (not in this order?) Ggoja came on thru and burned my check; sorry guy, but those things happened – besides, it’s part of the learning process. I missed Deano and Fred somehow. Justine and Karna were a team on it, and Getometca had eyes of determination. It’s sure amusing how we show ourselves through our facial expressions.

Following the closing of the check, Mark, a club member, led me up past the gas stop to pull arrows, stakes, and wrong-way postings. After 40 some odd minutes of this he realizes we were into another section and those assigned did not do their job, but we were doing it for them. As the late afternoon was coming upon us, he calls it quits.

Later a familiar member, The Eel, had scoped upon our camp. He had joined up Jonala and NVR at their observation check. We agreed to meet up for the volunteer’s BBQ. It was dark by then, and I used a flashlight to do my traveling between the campsites. Notwithstanding, we were able to use some fine cabernet with our BBQ roast, beans and red potato side. We called it an early night at 9:30 seeing tomorrow’s key time would be an early 8am.

I ended up not getting all the sleep I needed, and struggled to start the loaner bike in the chill of the morning, after dusting off the white frost. Eventually it started and I manned the spark arrester poker, while the Ranger barked off the RPM for the sound test vs. bike models. We had one spark arrester-less fail, and three bikes too loud, above 96 db.

I was to return at noon to join another check team, but they had already left before the pre-determined meeting time. Instead I checked yesterday’s results and they are as follows (sorry to the rest of you not listed here – I do not know your last names): Deano, Fred, Ggoja: 1st, 2nd, and 8th Vet C. (Jake: not bad for you first try!) Mcassle: first C 4-stroke. I then hung around the finish and handed out finisher pins. It came as a surprise to Jonala and The Eel when I slid there’s underneath their glove, but became concerned when NVR, well, never came thru the finish. I was relieved to find him back at camp, having succumbed to armpump.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
I was glad I made the decision to drive down Sunday for Wild Boar. Fellow Drn's were out in force and it was cool to see some familiar faces at the gas stop. Natalie grills a mean piece of chicken. Timekeepers did a great job with course layout, marking and staffing. The enduro was just right for my skill level. Challenging, but was able to go slow and steady and not hour out ;)  The singletrack brush trails were abundant, with side hill, downhill, and fun hill climbs thrown into the mix also. Got to see a lot of Clear Creek trails I have never ridden before. Really had fun on the Cow trail/Santa Rita express :aj: Looking forward to WB '04.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Great right up placelast. Thank you for the concern on Sunday. Getmetoca is the most awesome pit chick anybody could ask for - thanks Natalie. I figured people were wondering what the heck happened to me. I cramped up at appx mile 20 and made it to check 6 cow trail/bottom of the high skill area w/o houring out. At that point I knew I was done for and there was no way I could ride another 40 miles without seriously hurting myself. I took several breaks - some intentional some not so intentional - between Chk 6 & Chk 7 and ending up gathering up some out of gas stragglers.

All I can say is 'I suck and hope to finish at the Sawmill in April.'

Brian

Last edited:

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by NVR FNSH
All I can is I suck and hope to finish at the Sawmill in April.
Brian

I don't know about that, I couldn't keep up with you guys. The only way I caught back up is when Ret.Senior and the minute 51 crew sent us up the wrong hill. :confused:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Jonala

I don't know about that, I couldn't keep up with you guys. The only way I caught back up is when Ret.Senior and the minute 51 crew sent us up the wrong hill. :confused:

I was doing so well at that point - too bad it was mile 2 :whiner: As I was climbing that hill I was thinking to my self "what a bunch of pansies - this hill ain't so bad"

Congratulations on the finish.

Brian

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
An exceptional weekend...

I left around 5:30 Saturday morning and arrived in Clear Creek about 10 am. Now I-5 is boring but Jonala's directions were perfect and once I got off the 5 the drive eventually became scenic right around Coalinga. Beautiful emerald green fields, lots of cows and horses, open space, and the fresh smell of loam in the air (no, I don't mean cows!).

I parked at Oak Flat and the first person I ran into was AKCPlumb, who was nice enough to introduce himself. It was good timing too since I had wanted to get out there on Saturday and it turned out Plumb's son Charlie was about to leave to work a Piglet observation check. So I joined up with Charlie and it further turns out that NVRFinish and Jonala were already on Charlie's check crew. It was cool to meet those guys right away and we had a few good laughs at the check - asking for license and registration and telling the little kids riding that they were kicking their Dads' butts and whatnot. Good time.

After sweep came through we headed back down to camp and not long after Charlie roped me into riding back out double so we could bring back a downed rider's bike. Well I figure what the heck so we take off riding double on his KTM 250. Charlie sure made it interesting ... he didn't go too fast but he didn't exactly go slow either. We were hitting whoops and I was flying up off the back of the seat and then crashing down as the bike bottomed. My feet were dragging through water bars and scraping the tops of numerous mud ruts. We must have looked like clowns. The topper is when he asks me if I want to take a shortcut.... I say yes and the next thing I know we're hillclimbing, riding double, up a rather large sand hill. And we almost made it but got stuck a short way from the top. He was able to get the bike the rest of the way up and I scrambled up the remainder on foot. And off we went again ...

It was eerie when we arrived where the downed bike was 'cause there's a chopper with it's blades slowly spinning there, just sitting up on a ridge about 40' feet above us. Turned out the rider had broken her collarbone and had to be lifted out. It's pretty sobering to see a concerned parent hovering over his daughter, who is secured to a stretcher, and surrounded by medics in the middle of nowhere. 7 or 8 guys eventually carried her on the stretcher up a loose incline to get her to the chopper. I hopped on her XR 250 and rode it out. It was a little spooky.

Back at Oak Flat I took a breather and then decided to find PlaceLast. I found him at the 1st staging area and also found Farmer John, his sister-in-law, and Kalitude. Had a few good chats with each. PlaceLast mentioned that the Timekeeper's were cooking up dinner for volunteers so I headed back to camp and he showed up shortly thereafter. Tried programming my computer for the Boar but had some trouble ... decided to let it go until the morning. We had an amazing dinner around the campfire - huge slabs of tasty steak, pasta, rolls, potatoes and beans. John also had some good cabernet so we knocked that back with the meal. I've never eaten so well in the woods, except maybe when Thumbs busts out the Tri-tip ... or when TTRGuy is cooking !!! :)

I hit the sack around 10 PM. Even though it got pretty cold, I actually slept well in my tent. Glad I did. The Wild Boar that morning would demand all the energy I had.

To be continued .... a bit later - I'm tired of writing right now.

;)

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Eel,
I didn't give you directions, must of been John (placelast). I did recommend the 300 vs the 125. There were several times I wish I had a 300.

It was nice meeting you. I hope you enjoyed riding around Clear Creek, the manicured trails, the lush vegetation, the beautiful vista's. You did take it all in during your tour? :p

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Another fun-filled weekend with my DRN homies!  I sucked in the Piglet, so my ride report focus will be on the positive social aspects of the weekend and much less on my riding.

2:00 PM Friday, I'm in a two vehicle caravan with Karna and Justin, heading toward Clear Creek.  We get to the newly sectioned off meadow that will serve as overflow camping and there's Buddy waving us in.  NVR FNSH has the Taj Mahal parked at the top of what will become the NorCal Spode circle of campers and tenters with yellow caution tape tied to strategically spaced shovel handles to mark our territory.  Firelily has just purchased a new toy hauler and I really want to check it out so I run over to see it before unloading.  I see a stove and oven and a shower and creature comforts and I'm glad Firelilly has such a nice new rig - she deserves it!

I finally meet Placelast, my favorite ride report guy!  What a great and interesting guy!  Placelast, I hope we see more of you at future rides!  Kali and Kevin are there with Nellie and so is Jonala with Buzz.  I get my bike and gear unloaded, then set up my impromtu kitchen on the tailgate of my truck.  Its dark by the time I get dinner ready for the group.  It sure was nice to have 4 or 5 hungry men with flashlights and lanterns lighting my every culinary move.  Thanks guys!

I wanted to ride up to check in and get my minute and all that good stuff.  Having a headlight was in my favor this time as it was dark-thirty by the time I left to go.  I got minute 26 with Firelilly and Buddy, Kali and Kevin and I all on the same row.  While I was up at Oak Slope I got to see ScottYZ250 who FINALLY brought his wife Shara to the event.  What a great gal Scott!  Bring her more often, will ya?  On the way back to camp, NVR FNSH wowed me with fireroad nac-nacs and no handers...:worship: This must have been my gratuity for the use of my headlight, as he had none.

Saturday morning and key time is 10:00 am which allows for a nice, leisurely wake up and preparation for the Piglet.  Check air in tires (Thanks, Justin), tape time card and number to bike, wipe frost off seat, make breakfast for NorCal spodes, give dogs their treats, install jart chart (thanks again, Justin), make second pot of coffee, set wristwatch to correct key time (thanks once again, Justin).  Time to put my gear on and stretch a bit.  Karna and Justin and I ride down to sound check and pass.  Time to head down to the starting line.  Karna and Justin are on an earlier minute, so I hook up with Kali and Kevin and Firelilly and Buddy.  We sit off to the side while earlier minutes take off.  Mike Pascarella stops by me to say hi, he's riding with his 10 year old son Joey (More on Joey later).  Good to see him.

Okay time to go! Minute 26 takes off, Kali and her new timekeeping skills in the lead.  After a few miles we're all running a little hot, so we pull over.  I remember how slow I am and decide to go ahead, knowing that my speed will somehow yin and yang with the time.  Ooops!  Into the first check 1 minute early.  Guess my yin was a little faster today than usual.  About a mile later, we're all on a double track trail.  I'm negotiating a medium sized rock in the trail just as Buddy makes a move to pass me and KA-POW!!  we knock bars and both of us go down hard.  I raise my head and Buddy's bike is yards ahead of me but Buddy must have gone over the creek embankment.  My left shoulder feels overextended and I have the feeling severe road rash on the left side of my body is in order.  Buddy struggles up the side of the embankment to make sure I'm okay.  Buddy's shoulder is also messed up, but he's a tough guy (We call him Buddy Soprano around the campfires)  I get to my feet, wave on Kali and Kevin who have stopped to assess the carnage.  Buddy is worried about both me and my bike but the bike starts and I'm okay, nothing broken as far as I can tell.  Time to get going.

The rutted downhills were a bit disconcerting, the single track twisty stuff (next to potential fall-over-cliff extravaganza's) were freaky. But, thanks to my lowered gearing, I made it up EVERY SINGLE hill I encountered - this was truly an accomplishment.  Secondly, the really freaky rutted downhills did not faze me and although I took them slow, I got down them with no trouble. 

By mile 20 my shoulder and arm started to swell up and give me some trouble.  I was unable to control my steering on steeper downhills when my left side protested.  A couple of washouts later, I decided I should get to first gas and assess my need to go on.  I get through more check points and see that I'm going so dang slow I fear I'm close to houring out.  Farmer John is at another check point and assures me that I have a reset coming up and I'm doing fine.  "It gets easier after this check; Enjoy yourself!" says Farmer John.   I'm just so happy to see his comforting familiar face, I believe the rest of the way to gas is going to be cake.  Not so.  Okay, it was pastoral in a meandering, meadowed, kind of way for a little while, but then came some more single track stuff and whooped out uphills-dang!  Why is my left arm throbbing so bad??  I gingerly touch my left tricep and notice that is all bulged out like a water balloon.  My elbow guard acting like the perfect tournequet to my swelling arm.

I get to first gas, wore out and hurting.  I decide to call it a day and cut my losses.  I turn in my time sheet and head back to camp.  Once there, Mick and  Jennifer and Pierre get me some ice for my arm, which is now turning blue.  The bulging fluid filled tricep is kind of gross and Kevin has flashbacks of an elderly, sleeveless school teacher.  He tells me not to write on any chalk boards for a while :confused: Mini has this amazing Japanese medicine patch for just such things and slaps one on my arm.  The pain starts to subsist and so does the swelling.  

We all hit the sack a little earlier that night since those riding the Boar have a much earlier key time.  Sunday morning arrives and its a flurry of activity for the guys riding (Justin, Mick, Fremontguy, NVR FNSH, Jonala, RetSenior and others)  We head to the gas stop to cheer them on and give them encouragement.

Little Joey Pascarella comes in with his dad at the second gas stop and he is completely wore out.  I am simply amazed that this 10 year old boy has the guts and the skill and the strenghth to get through 60+ miles of an enduro that is clearly kicking some grown men's asses.  He's down only 17 minutes, but he's completely exhausted.  He can barely get himself off his bike so I help him complete the task.  I just want to scoop this little guy up and hug him and squeeze him, he's so brave!  Someone puts a wet hankerchief around his neck and I hold him up by the shoulders and walk him to some shade.  Someone gets him a Capri sun and he starts to perk up a bit.  I tell him that I took a class for beginners last summer from his Dad and Dave Wood and that his dad had shown us all this big, steep embankment that "his son Joey" had conquered and how proud everyone was of him.  I knew he was feeling a lot better when he told me what trail he had passed me on at the December Training Wheels enduro at Forrest Hill :|   Joey decides he wants to finish the last loop of the Boar and he gets back on his bike.  I am just in awe of this kid.

I wait for Brian to get back from loop two and find out he's out there helping downed riders and guys out of gas.  Always the good samaritan :thumb: Time to get back to camp and load up and head out.  Another great weekend had by all!

Last edited:

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
In case I didn't say thanks to Karna, Mini, Kali and Natalie at the first and second gas stops. THANKS it was nice of all of you being there patching up our battered egos, and bodies. :thumb:

If you all weren't there I would of sulked off to sign in and signed out. I was beat, hurtin, and :whiner:

I was more than a little out of sorts by the time I got back to camp. Realized when I got home, I was very dehydrated.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Well Jonala, then thanks for the advice on the 300 ! You were more than right ... I can imagine what it would have been like if I had ridden the 125. Major congratulations to you on finishing ....

Dirt Bike Dave - thanks for great directions !

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by Jonala
If you all weren't there I would of sulked off to sign in and signed out. I was beat, hurtin, and :whiner:

Uh, weren't you telling me to get my arse in gear at the first gas? You looked awfully darn happy & content at first gas. Must of been second gas that had you beat. I wouldn't know - I didn't make it there with the guys on my minute :worship:

I also owe a big thanks to Natalie & Karna for being the pit chicks extrodinaire. Can the two of you make sure to be the topics of the pre-race dinner conversation in the trailers at the Sawmill?

Brian

CERAChris

May 22, 2002
I haven't seen a detailed report on the Wild Boar, so here goes.....

I was on minute 51, the first C row. Although I'm a B rider, I replaced Unkle Moose who had a hand injury. Other guys on the minute included RetSenior, another CERA member Bruce, and some guy on a KLX. Jonala and another DRNer were back on 52. The first 3 miles were 12 mph and mostly road, so I took my time to the 2.9. We had few minutes to rest there, and I reminded the others not to follow me on the course split at 3.8. When I took the A/B course, I was in front of the C class. After a couple of miles of twisty, brushy single-track at 24 mph I merged back in with minute 54. I had some work to do as the course got tight again, with the occasional canyon climb. I got past minutes 53 and 52, then met my minute as they were riding down a hill towards me. Apparently they missed a turn, I took advantage and got out front again, although RetSenior was all over me. We saw the photoguy out there near a gully, which could cause real problems if you showed off too much. I dropped 7 points at Check 1, and noticed the speed average didn't go down - back to work!

The next section had single track mixed in with some wider trails, I couldn't quite maintain the average, and dropped 11 more at the next check around 10 miles out. After that it was an easy cruise downhill to the first gas stop at 12.2 miles. Very good turnout of DRNers (Piglet refugees) at the gas stop, including GETMETOCA, Kali, and others.

We climbed a hill out of gas, and rode some fun sidehill trails. At 17 mph, I was using my Checkmate to ride possibles. RetSenior, a confirmed hare scrambles guy, didn't quite get why I would stop every so often to peer around a corner. Just before one possible I stopped on a sidehill trail before a sweeping right hander going up a big hillclimb. The KLX guy passed me, rode around the corner and just stopped. I figured he was staring down the check crew. We had about 30 seconds to kill, so I was very surprised when RetSenior slipped past me - he rode right up to the KLX guy! I found out later that Ret had put a hard pass on the guy, and was apologizing. When it was time, I pulled around the corner to indeed find the check crew - manned by KTMZak - I think they only saw the KLX guy, since Ret, Bruce, and I all zeroed the check. After this, whenever I got behind, I would just wave RetSenior by - he goes a lot faster than I thought on that 520.

The next section had a mix of single track and open hill areas, and the speed average increased again to 24. I just missed the flip at the check-in and was a minute late. After this we really went to work. Tight, rocky, brushy single-track uphills, with whooped-out single track in between, continued for several miles. The speed average went up to 27, and I just kept getting later. Serious arm pump started kicking in, despite custom suspension and a steering damper, the rocks were bouncing me all over the place. I finally hit the check-out, 14 minutes behind schedule. Luckily AKCPlumb had put a 15 minute free time right after the check, so I had about 37 seconds to rest, eat some PowerBar, and drain half my CamelBak. Unfortunately, my PowerBar had escaped from its package, and in the heat After that we entered the 'High Skill Area'. This was a tight, steep downhill with a big drop-off on the right hand side. It was a check-free zone, and there was a reset at the top. I advised my minute 51 timekeeping students that we would take our break at the bottom of the hill before the next possible. I enjoyed this trail, although I was pretty tired for being 'only' 40 miles out. We all got down the hill without trouble and hit the check-in on time.

After this was a fun special test on the ridge-tops of the east end of Clear Creek, where you could see the peaks of the Sierras in the distance. The open trails allowed me to get up on the pegs more, and I got my second wind. I dropped 7 at the check-out, but realized it was just a few more miles to the second gas and a 25-minute break. After more BSing at the gas stop, I left a few minutes early to get to the next possible. Bruce was right behind me, but we couldn't find RetSenior in the crowd. The trails took us uphill at 19 mph, then we rode along typical Clear Creek sidehill trails for a few miles. At this point, I was barely able to maintain the average, but did slide in to Check 8 with a few seconds to spare. After that it was another test, this one featured mostly fun open trails, with several whooo - ooo - oooops. These were the brutal, peaked ones that Clear Creek is infamous for. I fell behind, but still felt good and stayed on the gas. The check-out was around mile 71, and I dropped another 5 points.

There was no reset or free time after the last special test, but the speed average did go down to 19 mph until the finish. Initially we were on some roads, and I made up a little time. At this point Ret Senior caught up and passed me for the final time. I tried to stay with him, but then had a run-in with a play rider. This guy passed me and totally dusted me out. No big deal, but then I see him stopped on the side of the road so I go by him. A couple minutes later, he passes me again, roosting me again. I place a curse on him and his family, but I figure at least he's gone. No such luck. He takes a wrong turn, and merges back on-course right in front of me, nearly taking me out. At this point, I start to believe that there was an evil plan to keep me from finishing the course. I was hoping it would be all roads to the finish, but the Timekeepers had other ideas. We creeped down some tight brushy trails, and even sampled some of the really rocky manzanita trail that had killed me in previous Wild Boars. We would always merge back onto the road, then alternate going down trails on each side. I lost some more time, and was happy to see what I thought was the last check around 80 miles out. The course then went down the same trails we had started the event on. I didn't have much energy left, and didn't think it would matter how long it took me to get to the bottom at camp. Wrong! There was AKCPlumb and crew at the bottom with another Emergency check. Damn! Another 8 points for the scorecard.

Kudos to AKCPlumb and the Timekeepers. Previous Wild Boars had been totally brutal, usually houring out half the Bs and Cs. This was still a tough, physical event, but was very "finishable". I was never more than 15 minutes late, and well-spaced free time and resets kept me (and pretty much everybody else) in the game. I ended up 9th out of 22 in my initial event in the B Senior class, and enjoyed the event. The weather was great, and most of the trails were damp. I even got a good picture from the photo people - cool!

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
The Boar this year was a lot of fun. Kudos to the Timekeepers for making an event that was fun for everyone.

My Story

I was on the best minute I have ever drawn, so there was no excuse making for me this ride. I was on minute 27, the second minute of "B" riders out. WSMC831 was also on my minute. Introductions were made. The other fella on my minute was riding a YZ250. He looked familiar, so I asked him if he hadn't been riding a KTM 400SX in the Quicksilver. He said yes, but he couldn't get it started when it stalled on the course, so he bought the YZ. I'm riding a 400SX by the way. I comiserated with him since I have had a lot of problems starting my bike in races. Anyway that done, our minute came up and we started our bikes, me last to get it started of course, and I took up the rear as we progressed up the single track. The course dropped on to a road, and our lead rider didn't see the arrows pointing up the hill and he kept going on the road. WSMC831 and I kept on the course with me somehow getting in the lead before the first special test section, a tight single track through the manzanita. I killed my bike one time in the section, but it started second kick, and I got to the check one minute thirty seconds late. 'Not a bad start I thought. The two riders on my minute caught up to me after the first check and we cruised along to a rocky, twisty uphill. Once again, my bike died, but this time it decided not to start. WSMC831 went by me as well as a couple other riders on later minutes. Finally, it started and I got to the second check six minutes late. (Ed. note: Yeah, I know. The "E" button solves the starting problem.)

The course was uneventful to the first gas check. I zeroed the next check, then I began to think of my Quicksilver experience, and started to ride hot thinking the Timekeepers had some diabolical section in store. Whoops, I burned the next check by a minute. Then they had the special test section where I lost 11 points, still cursing myself for a strategic error. Dropped a couple more points at the next check and on to the next gas stop. All on my minute were bunched up on the "high skill" area. I could see where a person running behind could get in trouble there, but we were on time, so we relaxed and cruised Did a bit of styling for the camera man on the hill just before the gas stop.

Oh, at the first gas stop I talked to Kevin and Kali who said they had a terrific ride the day before at the Piglet. They looked spiffy in their clean riding gear.

The last few checks to the end, I must have made an error on my computer. I kept showing that I was on my minute, or at most, just behind by a minute. But at each of thel last three checks, I dropped six or seven points. Rats!

In all, I really enjoyed this event. I am in the club which puts on the Sawmill. I hope we can give the riders a equally entertaining event. I am sorry that I wasn't able to find and talk to others from DRN: RetSenior, Jonala, UnkleMoose, NVR Fnsh, et al.

Thanks Timekeepers for a great event. And, thanks KTMZak for pointing out to me that I burned that check. :o

Last edited:

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by CERAChris
whenever I got behind, I would just wave RetSenior by - he goes a lot faster than I thought on that 520

Chris,

What you may not know is that RetSenior cheated! :flame: He didn't carry any water or tools. That 520 has a special two position throttle assembly. IDLE or RUN. The brakes are cosmetic not functional. :scream:

Ret Senior let me have a 5 minute head start out of GAS #2. He passed me half way the the whooped out hill in 4 th gear, rolling along on the rear wheel, while waving bye bye to me.

At gas #2 I saw him walk over to the creek, pat his hands into the water, to give himself a quick shower. He was then completely refreshed and ready to go. I went through 80 oz of Gatorade and water. Even with drinking all 80 oz I was still dehydrated. How does he do it? :worship:

Congratulations to all. :yeehaw:

When I get a 525 watch out! :laugh:

Last edited:

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by Bigbird
Thanks Timekeepers for a great event. And, thanks KTMZak for pointing out to me that I burned that check. :o

Great write ups. I seem to remember that check right after 1st gas. The only one I had a chance to zero........No, burned it by a minute and the kind gentleman was jumping and shouting 71 to the other guy writing it down(I was #72) :confused:

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
placelast...didn't get to meet you tell you were leaving Sunday. Maybe we will get to ride together soon enough.

fremontguy...didn't see much of you. You must of been riding all the time.

Jonala...your ride reports are always a great read and your opinion of me cracks me up.

NVR FNSH...thanks for the dressing room and sorry I didn't get to see more of you.

GETMETOCA...thanks for all the help when I was in a hurry to get to the start on time. And thanks for the help at 1st gas. And thanks for the help at 2nd gas. And thanks for the help at camp when finished. It might of been all your help that got me to the finish with food and drinks at gas. I forgot my fanny pack and canteens at home so no food or water for me on the trails. Good thing I keep enough stores on me at all times.

Kevin & Kali...thanks for the help with pre race stuff and gas stop stuff. Kali if I would of just listened to you and left gas when you said I would of had a lot better score. Thanks for getting me out when you did anyway. I just wanted to socialize some more.

CERAChris...great ride report. It was my pleasure to ride with you and Bruce. Thanks for the time keeping. My score and trophy is a credit to your lead.

Bigbird...I missed you. I didn't arrive till about the time your minute was leaving. Good ride!

Timekeepers...Great Great job. Perfect in every way to me. Tough enough to make me want to quit several time but I toughed it out and now I feel it almost 3 days later.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Boar and Piglet results are both up on the D 36 website. Look under "RESULTS".

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Bigbird, Jeff and I had a great time on your minute, it really makes it fun when we're around people just having a good time. Fortunately Jeff got lost just enough times for me to squeek out a win in bvet which is way more than I should expect. I think riding on the second b row and not getting mixed up with bottlenecks really helped.
You'll see us at Sawmill, our entries are going in today.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Jonala - it's weird how I can barely remember anything about the scenery after a race. It just goes by in a blur, a relatively slow blur in my case, but a blur nonetheless.

So where are the rest of the ride reports ? C'mon .... give us some more reports !!!!!

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
wsmc831, I too enjoyed riding with you two. Having two very good riders with which to pace, helped me as well. I hope you have fun at the Sawmill. Look for me, I'll be somewhere in the melee.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Eel,
The reason I can retain details of scenery is because I'm afraid of either impaling on a tree, bush, fence, or taking flight off one of the goat paths that wind around Clear Creek. I have a long history of visitng ER's all over CA. So in my advance age I've slowed way down. It's easier making to work this way. :(

I find it hard to believe that you ride by scenery slowing, you were matching Charlie jump, for jump, and speed going up to our check point. :thumb:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Charlie was going way easy on us ... he rides A 250 and I've seen a few of his past placings .... I'm not even in the same universe as him.

I'm glad you ride smart ... best way to go.

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I second wsmc's sentiment and everybody's reports about a great course. This was the best Boar I've ever ridden and best Clear Creek course on record. Thanks to the Time Keepers and all DRN members. See you in a few weeks.

Top Bottom