Piston frozen on rear brake caliper

shanet1975

Dec 24, 2007
Anyone have any ideas on how to unfreeze a frozen rear break caliper piston? Seems to be all the way bottomed out, but am not 100% sure. It won't budge in or out....Tried wd 40 and tried hacking it with a hammer. No good....I'm hoping I don't need anew caliper. Cheapest I can fin them new is 179. Ebay has them used for cheaper, but it'd be nice to just use this one.
Thanks...

confusedtech

Jul 26, 2006
First see if you can get any parts for it(seals) then take it off the frame and take the pads out and pump the pedel to see if you can blow it out.Then clean it up and put new seals in.I just did a 83 goldwing rear brake that way.

shanet1975

Dec 24, 2007
I have the caliper off the bike now and the piston is locked into place. I tried lubricating it and using my compressor in where the brake fluid goes, but it won't budge.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
See if you can get a pair of vise grips on the edge of it.. If you can, put the caliper in a vice and try twisting the piston in the caliper.. then try blowing it out with the compressor.

shanet1975

Dec 24, 2007
Got it. Used an allen wrench through the brake fluid hole. Pushed it right out. Put it all back together and voila, breaks. Now all I have to do is tighten my kickstart which I can't figure out how to do and replace my front brake lever and it's 100%. Ordering the Clymer book hopefully tonight. Should show me how to tighten that down...

Top Bottom