MXBrian

Damn Yankees
Feb 12, 2005
I thought that I had a loose steering head, and needed to service the bearings anyway, so I just finished doing the job. Discovered something interesting, though: my steering head wasn't loose, but there's play in both of my forks between the lower and upper. If I grab the lower in one hand (fork extended) then grab the upper in the other I can rock the bottom of the lower (where the axle goes through) pretty much in any direction just a little bit. Feels just like a loose head, except the play's between the sliders.

I also disassembled my fork while doing the head (second time) and everything looked good, although I didn't pull the main seals or separate the inners from the outers, so I didn't get a look at those bushings (I assume theres a bushing at the top of the lower and the bottom of the upper.

Is this slight play normal?

Thanks,

Brian

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
From what your describing it sounds like worn out bushings, but that is just seems very quick to have that go on an 05. How often do you ride.

Erik

MXBrian

Damn Yankees
Feb 12, 2005
05 YZ125 forks

Exactly. I race once a week (although I do 3 classes -- 6 motos) but as I'm just a novice my motos are very short. I get out to practice maybe on average once or twice during the work week, but I live in New England so the bike was not ridden November through March and I only got it in late September. In short, I definitely have not ridden it enough or hard enough to wear the slider bushings out I wouldn't think. Hell, I've only worn through two sets of tires.

As an aside, I've changed my for oil twice now, and both times it looked fine -- wasn't overly dirty or contaminated. I guess what I'll do, if I don't get any more feedback on the forum, is head up to my shop, throw a new 125 or 250 up on a stand, and see if they new forks have the same play.

Thanks,
Brian

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom