Pro taper bars for my cr250 question!

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
Ok im just wondering if i went and bought the 1 1/8 pro taper bars, will they fit on my bike stock or would i have to buy the clamps?

Malinois

Jun 8, 2004
If your bike has the stock clamps (7/8) you would need to either buy an oversized top clamp or you can pick up some oversized bar mounts. I know pro Taper makes a set for around 40-50 bucks. Hope that helps

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Give Service Honda a call, they make the bar mounts that you need.. no new top clamp required and retain the rubber mount. 219.932.3588

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
Ok thanks, well do you think its worth it to spend 62 on the bars then 50 for the clamps? Or should i just get the 7/8

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Oversized bars are worth it.

If they want $50 for new clamps, don't buy them. Check out www.motosport.com and see what they sell them for. Or check on e-Bay since they're on there all the time for less money. I wouldn't pay more than $25 for them.

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
Ok is this wut i need to make the bars work?

http://www.motosport.com/product.jsp?path=-1|31989|37204|102761&id=208070

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Not, those are for mounting handguards on oversize bars.
There are adaptors, which use the exisitng bar mount to allow oversize bar for $25 or so, raises the bars about 3/4 of an inch. Not the preferred way to go. On bikes with rubber mounts, they move a LOT.

There are bar mounts as mentioned before that will be in the 40-50 range, these are the complete bar mount that connect directly to the top clamp. Well worth the difference.

MTK, I'd love to see some for $25?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Scabs? What, is this a union newsletter now?

As for taking a chance, I see no risk whatsoever. They're the same parts that other places are selling for $50.

Or are you claiming that the Renthal TwinWalls on e-Bay for $89.99 are somehow different from the ones at a Motosport Outlet for $110 or the local dealer for $140?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I thought we were talking about bar mounts?

Twinwalls at motosportoutlet.com are 99.00, not 110.00.

Click: Twinwalls

Those $89 bars have free shipping? If not, how much is it? 'Bout $10 ? Same day shipping? Returns?

When it comes to buying stuff for my bike (pretty much anything actually), I'm always willing to spend a couple extra bucks to deal with a place I KNOW stocks, takes returns and will be there tomorrow. Example, brand new pair (2nd ride) of Thor pants from MSO, seam coming apart. No problem, they are being replaced, no hassle, shipping them at their cost.

And BTW, mso is NOT an advertiser or sponsor of this site.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Okiewan said:
I see scabs on e-gay for $39 all the time. I don't think I'll take a chance with something that holds my handlebars on.

We were talking about bar mounts, when you posted the comment above.

MSO must have dropped the prices on TwinWalls because they were more than that before. They're one of my first choices if I'm retail shopping, but I also buy a good bit of stuff on e-Bay. Lots of dealers clear out stock that way and there are some good deals to be had. The cheaper I can get the stuff, the more stuff I can buy. ;)

+30

Aug 2, 2005
oversize are generally stronger most riders will agree. but I have heard the 7/8 bars absorb vibration a little better than the oversize bars do, at least thats what I read about the renthals. I use the twinwalls, dumped the bike many many times, no bending, where I may have bought 4+ pairs of standard 7/8ths possibly. am I wrong or did MC ride 7/8ths way longer after other pros went oversized.?

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
transmission of vibration is relative to not just the diameter and thickness of the bars, but also the specific alloy used, and it's state of heat treatment. One must consider the resonant frequency of the whole assembly, and how it interacts with the acoustic signature of your bike (which is engine speed dependant).

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Okiewan said:
I'm still wondering if the bars on **** actually cost less than from MSO... I assume you can get any bend you want? Maybe a link would be good to the twinwalls would be good.

When I find cheap sets on e-Bay, I buy them myself. As such, I won't be posting links. ;)

Yes, they're not all cheaper than MSO, but I'd also swear that MSO just lowered their prices on them. Besides, as with any shopping, you've got to do your homework.

Last edited:

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Getting back to bar mounts for less than $50, find e-Bay item 4591760596.

It's a set of Pit Posse oversized bar mounts. $22.95 opening bid and $29.95 "BuyItNow" price, plus $4.95 Priority Mail shipping.

Top Bottom