IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I am so going to buy this bike. I rode it once and loved it so much I had to have it!

The Powers that be willing I will. I just want to know what and why about the machine I will have to tame. The owner has been absolutly meticulious about maitinance, but still has the original spacers for the rear wheel etc...

What do I need to work on?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
O-K to be specific, I am worried about the "Heim" joint. I am not familliar with the linkageless suspention. When to service and what to do at service time?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Replacing the heim joint is not a big deal. replace it when it starts to wear out. it shouldn't be sloppy. Grease and lube the usual stuff, pivots, headset, etc. Check the wheel bearings and so on. Change the fork oil at the recommended intervals and service the shock, The bikes don't really have any major major issues. Some people are fussy about jetting and some agonize over suspension. Some tortured and twisted souls fret over both and worry about how long the wheel spacers will last. Probably longer than a top end if you keep them clean.

Right now more guys are going over to orange than are going back so thats my 2 cents. Of course I might be a bit biased

Last edited:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Check out ERider's heim joint guard. It helps seal it off and protects the swingarm and shock from getting scarred from the abrasive mud-flap material. So far my heim joint has been no problem.

The major CON of the 250MXC is that you'll never want to get off of it, and your mouth will be permanently frozen in a weird grin position! Enjoy your new bike

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
All you ever wanted to know about the heim joint (and more). Definitely get the hardened wheel spacers from eRider or Enduro Engineering, and protect the fork seals with booties (or rubber fork boots if it's a '99 or earlier).

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Guy's,

Thanks, I am in constant contact with the seller and he has informed me on the mods that he has done to the swingarm and mud flap.

Katoomer, thanks big time for that link!

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
SRC is now making a cover for the heim joint. I'd get one of those as they are under $3.00. Pick up their fork booties at the same time.

Do not grease the lower or upper heim joint. That will ruin the teflon in it.

You'll like the bike. :)

Jtown

Nov 26, 2001
Check the end of the brake pedal. Make sure that there's not a piece of metal sticking out towards the inside that could put a hole in the case if you fall on the right side. Mine did and I had to file it off.
Keep an eye on the kickstarter and kickstand bolts. The both have a tendency of loosening. If the ground is soft, watch where you park the bike. There's a good chance that the kickstand bolt will break if the kickstand sinks far enough that the bike falls over.
If you ride much in muddy conditions, I suggest a solid rear brake rotor. Disc pads will last way longer than the 40-50 miles with the stock vented rotor in mud.
Other than those items, I've had no other problems with mine. It's a great bike.

mconnell

Dec 1, 2002
I have an '01 250 MXC and love it. The suspension is perfect for my weight (150 lbs) and riding preference (woods and cross country). Keep an eye on the top subframe bolts. I had one break, and I had to drill it out. I went up one tooth on the front because I wanted more top end for cross country riding. But, it still works very well in the woods with this gearing. I fiddled with the jetting a lot before I got it right. It rocks now, and I'll put it up against any 250 or 450 4-stroke. With my light weight, it's a holeshot machine!

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
May 5, 2002
I have owned a 98,99,250exc a 99-300exc.Ihave also owned 98 and 00 rm250 both set up for harescrambles.I now own a 01 mxc and it is my favorite machine.I strated with 98250exc from 92kdx the exc didn't have enough zip for me felt lethargic bought 98 rm250 liked the turning but missed the ktm suspension and ride.Bought 99 250exc kept it for 4mnths still felt sluggish out hole up hills in 1st.I bought 99 300exc. man what a machine I just don't have the discipline to hold back on throttle it wooped my a##.I went to 00rm250 loved the turning and braking thought it was the best till a friend let me use his 01 mxc250 when the rm was down.I have kept this mxc a year now and I would buy a new 03 if they made it but they don't,it is so precise and smooth the best woods bike I have ever owned.I am still getting buy a new bike fever rode 03 250sx this week great power to busy suspension for the woods stock.I am waiting to try one of my buddies 03 250exc.My advice but the mxc you will love it.

Gardener

Jul 28, 2000
An MXC has a transmission more like a MX bike with a high 1st & lower 5th than an EXC. EXC has a granny 1st for tight technical terrain and will haul the mail in 5th. Suspension valving front and rear 00 - 02 is identical M/E/XC but the 4S gets .42 fork springs where 2S gets .40s all else same - PDS 2 out back.

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
on the heim joint subject my lower bolt was rusting after six months
so i went ahead and greesed it with marine greese now my bike is a year old
and the heim joint is still tight with no play so if you keep it greesed the
not stick coating is not needed

KDXrider61

Nov 6, 2002
Irish...I know how you feel about the KTM's..I got a 200MXC now, and I absoutely love it. I hope we get to ride at TB again, that ride was the best.

My dad got a 02 250MXC and is loving it as well, the bikes are so agile and adjustable, a few clicks with compression and rebound and he was all set up, where he normally has to put heavy springs in. (by the way, this is Lee.)

miwebb

Nov 27, 2001
Just so everyone knows, KTM no longer makes a 250 mxc. You either must buy a 250 exc or take a 250sx and install a larger tank, 18" rear wheel, etc.
Ignore this if you were looking for a used 250 mxc, as they are plentiful.

Top Bottom