woodcarter

Dec 3, 2008
help!!!!

I have just replaced the throttle cable in my sons PW-50. Everything seemed to be going well until I fired the bike up. The bike seems to be running close to full throttle. Even though there is slack in the cable at the twist grip, I went as far as disconnecting the cable from the twist grip and the reults were the same. I purchased the cable from my local Yamaha dealership although it is not genuine Yamaha (MotionPro) parts. This part included all three cables oil pump card and twist grip. Is it normal to have to adjust something when replacing the throttle cable? :coocoo:

woodcarter

Dec 3, 2008
Are you talking about the slide in the carb? If so, I was only able to put in one way. Any other way and it wouldn't slide down far enough to put the screw in the cap.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Ok. Sounds like, for some reaon, the slide isn't lowering all the way. When you disconnect the cable at the grip does the housing slide easily on the cable?

woodcarter

Dec 3, 2008
With the cable disconnected the slide easily fell all the way down to the bottom, had to fish it out! Once I hooked up the cable I put the slide back into position. I suppose there is a chance that the slide isn't falling down all the way. I do know if it isn't lined up in the correct position the cap will not fit back on the carb properly. Sounds like I need to pull the top back of the carb and try to reposition the slide. The way the cable hooks through the slide it does put kind of a funky bend in the spring potentially causing the slide to bind. Any other thoughts?

woodcarter

Dec 3, 2008
SInce I really didn't answer your question.....The cable does slide easily. There is actually a little bit of slack in the cable before I feel any resistance.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Make sure the needle is dropping into the main jet. Sometimes it can get hung up on the way in.

woodcarter

Dec 3, 2008
Thanks for the tip! I pulled the top off and the slide appeared to be in the correct position. Now it seems the bike will idle ok (a little fast) with the choke on but will not idle at all with the choke off. Bike starts good, seems to run ok with choke off just won't idle. Is there an adjustment on the idle?

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
There should be. Usually a screw in the body of the carb, on the side, near the bottom of where the slide would be inside. It wedges the slide upward as you turn the screw in.

Top Bottom