wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
My kids' 2004 PW50 is running poorly, and I hope one of you can help me understand why.

The bike was running great this morning. When we took a break the kids washed the mud off of the bike, but when they tried to ride it later in the day, it ran very poorly. The bike will start and idle fine, and when the throttle is cracked slightly the engine responds as you would expect. But once the throttle gets past 1/8th or so, the engine just bogs and the rpms do not increase.

I thought the kids may have sprayed water in the muffler, so I took off the spark arrestor and muffler and cranked the bike (cylinder head exhausting directly to atmosphere); no change in performance. (I also saw no water coming out of the pipes.) I took off the air filter and it looked fine. I cranked it with the air filter off but there was no change in performance.

Choke lever does affect the way the engine runs but doesn't correct the problem. The exhaust restrictor plate has been removed but I haven't touched the carburetor. I can see the throttle slide moving inside the carb as the throttle is opened. There is fuel in the tank ( ;) ) and the bike starts consistently, but it simply bogs when you crank the throttle. It does this even when the throttle restrictor screw is removed.

The bike has never done this before. Before I take it to the dealer, does anyone have tips for me to check next?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Blow out the handlebar kill switch with compressed air. I have had water in that switch cause the symptoms you describe.

Mark

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
wanaride said:
But once the throttle gets past 1/8th or so, the engine just bogs and the rpms do not increase.
QUOTE]

wanaride.

Sounds lke you may have water in the carb. Drain the float bowl and look for water in the gas.

ironram

Jun 3, 2005
i bought the same bike last week the other day i washed it and had the same problem behind the front number plate there is a wire harness pull apart and blow it out and there is a couple by the carb you have to take the seat off there is 2 bolts behind the back wheel that hold the mud flap on take those out and the seat comes off pull those harnesses apart and blow the water out off them gaurnteed to work be sure to blow out both sides of each connector the side with the wires running in and the connection side good luck

twoslow

May 15, 2006
Sounds like wet wiring breaking down,cured same problem for me,Yamaha needs to use sealed connectinns after all they charge a freeking arm and a leg for the bloody bikes.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
twoslow said:
Sounds like wet wiring breaking down,cured same problem for me,Yamaha needs to use sealed connectinns after all they charge a freeking arm and a leg for the bloody bikes.

Sounds like your problem has been narrowed down to one thing. I agree on the connectors! :think:

Jun 21, 2006
i am also having big problems with my 1983 pw50. Its similiar, as when i crank the throttle(that is after i kick it over about 30 times to get it started) it bogs when i give it gas. The spark plug seems fine, and the wiring seems alright, but i cant figure out why it does this. also sometimes my little brother will be riding it and it will just bog when he gives it gas and it will stall. can anyone help?

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
wanaride said:
The bike will start and idle fine, and when the throttle is cracked slightly the engine responds as you would expect. But once the throttle gets past 1/8th or so, the engine just bogs and the rpms do not increase.

Please don't be insulted, but I have to bring it up - make sure you remember to move the stupid start/run switch to the run position after starting or it will behave the same way. Sorry, just trying to help.

Good luck.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom