Really, really dumb question--don't laugh

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Ok so I'm blonde, and also I haven't been riding since I was 2. Those are my excuses for not knowing this.

What is the connection between Loretta Lynn and motocross? Is there a website? Did Loretta ride bikes? Are the country singer and motocross even related, or is there another Loretta Lynn?

Again, please don't laugh, and TIA for the info.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, thanks for the link, but I didn't see anything about the background of the series or Loretta's involvement in racing. Did I just miss it?

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
In 1982 Loretta opened her ranch to the motocross world. At her ranch, legends have been born, history made and hearts broken.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Her husband built the track on their land.... that's all I know. Loretta is not the MX fan, or wasn't then anyway.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Her husband was a big motocross fan. There's also some sort of connection with the Coombs family. Might have something to do with the fact that both Loretta and the Coombs are from West Virginia... but that's just speculation on my part.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
RacerX had a story about this. Or maybe it was in DC's "Reason for Being" column. It goes something like this:

The late Big Dave Coombs and his sons (Davey and Tim) were driving their motor home back from Ponca City. Big Dave was thinking about what a crappy time it was. What with the long drive from WV to Ok and back. They may have spent the night at Loretta Lynn's, but anyway, Big Dave being a race promotor himself, thought that he could do a much better job of putting on an amateur national. And why not make it a fun family vacation, instead of an MX only event in a dry desolate location. Big Dave is the one who approached Lorreta Lynn and her Husband about having a race at the dude ranch.

I probably got the details a little mixed up, but I'm in sort of a hurry this AM. I'll check my pile of RacerX magazines and see if I can find the issue with the Lorreta Lynn article.

Later.

W

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
VD is correct. Also, Lorreta herself is a very cool lady. She wanders around the pits and talks to the racers just like one of the fans.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Another aspect of this story. Somebody in Lorretta's family is related by marriage to someone in the Coombs family. I'm not sure, but I think this occurred after Big Dave started the National MX. There was a guy who had some ties to the Ranch named something Griffo (James I think) I can't remember if he was related to, by marriage, to Jeff Russell (Former National Enduro Champion and Head GNCC guy) who's married to Davey & Tim's Sister. (That would make Jeff Russell, Davey and Tim Coombs' brother in-law) This is very sketchy, and maybe the guy wasn't related to Lorretta's Family, maybe he just worked for the family at the ranch, anyway I remember speaking to this guy back in '92 when I was at the ranch for a Mid-South Hare Scramble. I'm sorry that I can't remember the details better. It did stick in my mind that there was some relations of some sort there. Maybe they're all related in a West Virginia Kind of way. ;)

I took note becuase I too wondered how Lorretta got into MX, and then HS, GNCC, ISDE qualifiers and trail rides.

That's clear as mud. :) Glad I could help.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Timr
Maybe they're all related in a West Virginia Kind of way.
Are you implying the family tree does not fork?

Sort of like the British Monarchy?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
(For some reason, I can hear "Dueling Banjos" playing in the background . . .) :confused:

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
XRpredator, have you been watching Dileverence again? ;) That movie was not a good portrail of how WV. really is............well, maybe if you go too far off the beaten path. Just be aware that there maybe Jethro out there somewhere. :scream:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
My mamma married her brother, but it didnt effect me none! Were 'purebreds' 'round these parts! :confused:
Actually, I am convinced that 'Deliverance' was a true account of a canoe trip on the Big South Fork!
He's gotta perty mouth, don't he. :)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Thanks for the info. I may send out some emails for more info.

It seems to me that once upon a time my dad and I were watching a Blackwater video and they mentioned Loretta being there to watch or help score or something. I didn't know who Loretta was then so it didn't mean anything. Or maybe they mentioned her name for something else, I disremember.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
HE HE HE I`m sorry FC I couldn`t resist. I didn`t know the story behind either, but I did know the event was held at her ranch. :)

Steve

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I think you'll find that Butcher Holler is in Kentucky, not WestbygawdVirginny. :)

Top Bottom