KDXer

Oct 28, 1999
This is the first time in many years of riding that I have encountered a 'unsolvable' problem. I bought my 99 KDX secondhand about 6 months ago in very good overall condition. This past weekend I needed to replace the brake pads. NOW, one of the allen cap bolts that is keeping the brake pads in place is stripped. Not stripped in the thread, but the head of the bolt itself. So, I tried to use a Easy out tool to extract the bolt, but it is so tight that I even broke this tool off (All this after hours of scheming). Am I in for a new brake calliper. Is it possible to strip the whole lot and only get the part holding the brake pads ? Damn, I didn't need this right now !

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Take it down to a machine/engeering shop. Yes, it'll cost you a bit probably, but it'll be cheaper than a new caliper.
We had the same problem with the front caliper a couple of months back & took it to an engineer who got it sorted out (it took a while).
Good luck and I know how you feel :(
Michelle
p.s. don't do what I did & just order the bolts with spares - it hurts (NZ$140 for 6 bolts, oucho).

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Michelle is on it. A decent machine shop is valuable to know.

You can get aftermarket external hex head bolts at a reasonable price form I think WFO. Mine are lasting quite well but you need a thin wall socket (or Koken T bar) on some callipers. Don’t forget to apply a bit of anti-seize grease to the threads.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
1st try:

my allen bolts also were stripped. I used a new pair of needle nose vice grips and grabbed the head of the allen bolt good'in tight, then with a hammer gently tapped on the vice grip handle @ the top. the bolt came right out. now for the pin's that a different storie :scream:

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
you might be able to grab the pins in between the brake pads with
needle nose vice grips

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Back in '98 I had the pleasure of watching former 8x Nat'l Enduro Champ Dick Burleson and former ISDE multi-time gold medalist Mark Hyde (how's that for name dropping) remove a stripped allen head brake pin bolt on my old XR. First they drilled the allen bolt just a bit and hammered a T-6 or T-7 torx bit into the hole. Carefully applying heat from a propane torch they were able to remove the stripped bolt in less than five minutes and install a new hex head brake pin bolt.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
ya I tried that:::

quote: agitt73 you might be able to grab the pins in between the brake pads with
needle nose vice grips
ya you can grab it great, but was still to tight. I'll break out the O/A torch and put a little heat on it.

quote: WoodsRider First they drilled the allen bolt just a bit and hammered a T-6 or T-7 torx bit into the hole.
I'll give that a try!! sound like it would work great :)

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
SOUNDS LIKE MARYLYN 70 HAS A PROBLEM WITH
SEENS HOW I WONT LET HIM RAPE ME ON MY BIKE FOR SALE

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
WoodsRider said:
Back in '98 I had the pleasure of watching former 8x Nat'l Enduro Champ Dick Burleson and former ISDE multi-time gold medalist Mark Hyde (how's that for name dropping) remove a stripped allen head brake pin bolt on my old XR. First they drilled the allen bolt just a bit and hammered a T-6 or T-7 torx bit into the hole. Carefully applying heat from a propane torch they were able to remove the stripped bolt in less than five minutes and install a new hex head brake pin bolt.

THANKS MAN! Out of all methods, this one finally worked for me.

FYI: I used a 1/8" drillbit, and a Torx T20 bit hammered in...(plus my usual aerosol P-Blaster, $10 propane torch and a $15 Harbor Freight impact gun)...

Top Bottom