RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Just a heads up for everyone.

*** Check your linkage bolts from where your rear brake pedal connects to your master cylinder ***

At my race on Sunday, there is a 30-40 foot downhill double with a switchback right at the landing... Racing the first lap in about 6th place... feeling good about the ride... hit the downhill double, step on the rear brake and NOTHING !!! :scream:

I swear it almost felt like the bike accelerated.. I guess it's because I was expecting to feel the braking and when it wasn't there it messed with my head.

So now comes the turn.... There were about 2 or 3 bikes in the turn ahead of me and here I come :whiner: I begin to question which bike won't hurt too much, the Kawasaki, Honda...I always use my front brake but this was going to be a little much for only the front. I lean the bike way over to the left and had to take the inside line because all the bikes were on the outside of the turn (due to the speed of the turn most likely). I'm expecting to wash out and begin in the back of my mind to look for an area that won't hurt too much and kind of gave up the race in my mind. Well, I make it around the turn and came out in front of the bikes that were in the corner.

I couldn't believe I how fast you can actually go around a corner and not wipe-out. I MUST have impresses the crap out of those other riders ;) I just wish I could do that on purpose.

So now I'm in about 4th and, since surviving that corner begin to convince myself I could finish the race and still end up in the top 10 using just my front brake. So for the next 1/2 a lap I give it a shot and realized I'm a bigger idiot for thinking that, then I was for not checking that linkage before the race. :|

My point is, If you haven't honestly checked ALL the bolts/nuts on your bike lately... Next time out, spent 15-20 minutes before you ride and do it.

The life you save may be mine... :)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Or we might pass you through that corner we thought we weren’t going to make. ;)

Yeah must get around to fixing the r.brake on my road race bike. It works in the pits but is bottoming out so does diddlesquat. I think it’s been that way for months but I keep pressing on it cause it makes me feel better but I’ve kinda proved I never need it. Still if the front brakes fail. . .

On the dirt however I’d be lost without it.

Top Bottom