rebuilt clutch not engaging when first started, okay after a riding for a while

opihiman911

Aug 9, 2003
I just recently rebuilt the cluch on my '92 KDX200 using an EBC rebuild kit. Everything when together fine, followed instructions, soaked the plated overning in gear oil, smoothed a couple minor notches in the clutch basket, installed new springs, torqued, loosened and retorqued all the bolts. Put all together and filled with the recommended 10w-40 mobile oil. Took it out for a test ride and it worked perfectly. Rode it hard for a good 4-5 hours, clutch worked great in all conditions, wide open, tight trails, feathering, power shifts, downshifts. A little tighter and stiffer than my 12 year old OEM clutch, but worked great. Got home drained the oil, looked clean, no filings or cork contaminated, refilled, and put it away in the garage.

Yesterday I went to start it up, pull in the clutch, put it in first, and it died. Did this several time and still died. Got going downhill and popped it into second gear and I could ride no problem, but couldn't shift using the clutch or stop. After a couple minutes and power shifting, the clutch seemed to "free up" and start working normal. Rode it a couple hours no problem.

Same thing happened today. I even let the bike sit and idle for 10 minute to warm up, but it still wouldn't engage. Rode it for 5 minute using power shifts, then the clutch stated to works normal.

Anyone out there know what my problem is and how to fix it?? TIA

Aloha,
Opihiman

Top Bottom