super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Did anyone read the racerX? Mcgrath 22 on the list!!!!! No way. Thats an outrage. He beat out Johny O, no way. Johny O is one of the best 125ers ever. The same mag has the 1986 MXDN's where the O'Show ran down and beat the 500 World Champ Thorpe, on a a 125. Just for that ride alone he should be higher up on the list. Oh well maybe I'll wright a letter, it's still a great mag.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
Maybe they rated Mcgrath # 22 because he did not have anyone to race against.
Just like now - RC has no one to race against. The modern racers are a bunch of spoiled kids!
Bring back the hurricane! He gave it his all.

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
RC has no one to race with because he is the best motocrosser in history ( or will be noted as such when his career is over) There are plenty of very talented riders that are just as good as many who came before. It is just that RC like MC before him has raised the bar quickly and way above the heads of the others.

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
If they are comparing ourdool motocross racers, then mcgrath does rank lower. he won 1 outdoor championship and I believe he did it just to prove to everyone that he could. He does not like to race outdoors and doesn't chase any outdoor series and hasn't for several years. Hence#22.
Yeah, there are alot of spoiled kids out there racing now...but I still see some "old guys" out there giving it their all and still getting beat by the kids. Carmicheal flies outdoors and there is nothing about him I would call spoiled. Do I like him..I don't know him. Am I happy that he switched teams..no but I don't have the entire scoop. Am I impressed with his ability to ride a dirt bike fast...hell yes.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
Like I said - today's racers are a bunch of spoiled kids!

The only current riders in the top 15 are McGrath, RC and the Rock. We got three current stars and McGrath is on the way out. That leaves only 2 guys in the 250 class who have any class.

There are only 10 current in the top 50.............what's up with that?

Last edited:

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Bring back the hurricane! He gave it his all.

Hey thermal I'm old school too. I loved Bobs win or die trying style. I hated the MX scene in most of the 90's but I think things have come back. The guys are training hard and riding all out. I have seen alot of the great old school racers ride, I even got to take a riding school where the Hurricane and Tichnor were the instructors at Englishtown :) . No one I have ever seen ride, charges harder and wants to win as much as RC. The kid is awsome.
Jonhy O's ride at the MXDN's is in my book one of the greatest ride of all time. I was hoping to stir up more MC fans. I was even surprised to see him that low on the list.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Old School? I prefer to remember the days when Marty Smith handed Hannah his @ss. :) I was fortunate enough to have a dad that was into MX back in the early 70's... Mid Ohio MX, Trans AMA, Lexington, Ohio. Got to ride that track on my clapped-out KE-100. Broke a footpeg off there, dad stuck an axe handle between the frame and the cases to stand on. Good time Mister.

Totally agree agree about RC. Nobody wants it more than he does, he attacks as if he's willing to die for the title, no doubt.And! If he keeps it up for a while, he'll qualify to wipe MC's... uh. Nevermind. j/k. All anyone has to do to be the "King" is win 8 Titles.

Comparing old school to today's riders is the same thing boxing fans go thru... "Ali would whip Tyson bad"... Sorry guys, but untill all of these riders in the SAME ATMOSPHERE with identical pressures, same equipment, same money, (the list is too long to type) there really is no way to say so-and-so is better than someone else. Makes for a fun discussion, but really all we can go by is titles. To say that MC had it easy during his 7 titles is absolutle stupidity. He was a step ahead of everyone as RC is now. Someone always comes along and elevates a sport to the next level, those are the last two in MX. IMHO, Bubba is the next.

It's too hard to agree on who's the fastest, or the best... I mean look at 'rat... he found a way to proclaim that Brown won somehow against Stewart who won the overall. It's all about who we like, who we think represents and who we want to win. Pssst... that's what makes it fun to be a fan.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
All anyone has to do to be the "King" is win 8 Titles.

So by this time next year you will be calling RC the new KING and Brown the two time Champ. :) Some times you make it too easy for me. :p

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Ive followed MX for a long time too, since the early/mid seventies when I was a young boy. Hannah and Decoster etc. Back when men raced motocross, not young boys (they were the only ones who could afford a bike). However, I do not let nostalgia cloud my vision. I still find it hard to fathom how many disrespect RC. I remember watching Glen Helen last year and his bike's arse end swapping as he went flat out down Mt Glen Helen aiming for a small lip on a berm. Every lap the same, on the edge. Strength, guts and big kahoonas. Same for Mike Brown, the way he ran down anyone who got on his line, just like Bob Hannah, arrogant and angry, hard and tough. Either one would be fast in any era of MX history.

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
I just got my July X in the mail ast night and read the article. It's hard to argue with their ratings. I saw Bob race a lot of times back then and I have not seen anybody since untill RC that has that much fire in their belly for winning. I often wonder what would have been had Hannah not broken his leg when he did. I would have swapped RJ and Broc, but only because RJ was more of an animal on the bike. Broc was like a surgeon on the bike and a great rider to study and learn from. The "Flyin Freckle" was a super tough minded competitor that overcame his stature much like Ricky has today. Ricky is almost a combination Jeff Ward/Bob Hannah, he has both their qualities all wrapped up in one package. There was someone not on the list that I think should be mentioned, Magoo! He didn't win any titles here but he did sweep the Motocross and Trophy Des Nations motos ( no one else ever did) and he won the U.S. GP. He was a spectacular rider with one throttle setting, WFO! Oh, hey Okie, Marty may have handed Hannah his ass once or twice but I think the balance of butt kickings fell heavily in favor of Buckwheat!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
motomike137 uttered this universal truth:
Oh, hey Okie, Marty may have handed Hannah his ass once or twice but I think the balance of butt kickings fell heavily in favor of Buckwheat!
By golly, I think you're right! :cool:

The best battle was Hannah/Howerton. I don't think there were two men who despised each other more, ever! And they rode their asses off!

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
just call me stupid

Originally posted by Okiewan
To say that MC had it easy during his 7 titles is absolutle stupidity.

Then who in the top 50 did he beat? Dowd...Lusk...Henry...Kevin..Lamson..Rock....Emig.....That's it.

I say he had it easy!

Last edited:

motomike137

Nov 21, 2001
Predator, I too witnessed a bunch of those Howerton/Hannah battles and by todays standards those guys would be jailed! Those guys meant business. Now we get Frenchman playing pattycake and everybody gets all worked up about it. Okie, I have a buddy who worshipped Marty back in the day (as did I untill Hannah showed up) and I will never forget going to Red Bud with him in 76 for the 125 National. He hadn't heard about Bob yet and Hannah had a 3 digit number so he paid no attention to him in practice. I told him to keep an I on that new Yamaha rider and he was like "yeah right, who is he again?". Bob rode by him on the big monza turn uphill and took off and my buddy was stunned! I also saw them at Midland MI that year where Hannah lost to Rokon Don Kudalski!

Byrd Man

Aug 24, 2000
Where would one find good video footage of the Hurricane during his heyday. I have only seen clips and would love to see an entire race. I also saw him race in the Atl SX during his last year of racing before retirement.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Hannah/Howerton anyone remember Saddleback 1981.....talk about rubbing plastic and and not so much a t-bone more of a Hannah centrepunch on Howerton over the berm.

Top Bottom