BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Justql, Craig_Enid, and Lorin talked me into goin' (not that difficult). We arrived at 5:30 Saturday afternoon with enough time to setup camp and sign in. I rode the C Vet class and lined up with Justql on row 40. Craig_Enid was on row 39 and Lorin was on row 37. This was a Qualifier format so I didn't have to do any time keeping (woohoo). Other than the rude awakening at 6:00 from a four stroke alarm clock, it was a perfect way to start a race.
We suited up and were ready for a great ride. Three loops, 16.5 miles, 17.5 miles and a 20 mile to finish. There were two test sections per loop and they picked the nastist sections of Muenster to do them in. The first loop went well, some difficult sections but not real bad. The second loop was an alteration of the first. Some of the trail was the same but they moved the first test section and it was gnarly. Half way thru this section I went down, had a low front tire and it kept washing out in the gravely turns. I had to fight it for another 10 miles and another test section. The last part of the loop was river bottom sand. The low tire caused no problem here and I made up some lost time.
Back at the staging area I aired up the tire and drank some more fluids and then drained some fluid. Then off to the start. This loop was completely different. There was a long sandy section at the first of the test sections and then the bobsled run. I did real well, until, a rather nasty uphill I stalled. I stalled again and again. Finally I got back moving and things were getting back to a good rythem. I took another small fall in a rut and killed the motor. After getting up and started the fatigue hit me. The last test section was the coupe de gras.
This section started as a giant rut about 12 feet deep and twisted and turned down hill for about 150 yards. Now we were in the creek. Sloppy, slippery, rocky, rooty, low limbed trail from hell. I got held up by a slower rider for a bit and then back up the hill. When I got to the river bottom, I was exhausted and just couldn't quite hold the throttle open in the sand whoops. I still made pretty good time but I looked like a porpoise for a quarter of a mile.
This was a great ride and I think I finished 6th and Justql was 2nd, at least that was the standings at the time of our departure.
Great ride.:)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
how did lorin and craig_enid do? sounds like a pretty cool trip. maybe i should have gone too. where was tx246? i guess you didn't get the rain down there that we got. are you guys doing the cross country race next weekend?

and the question of the day---did justql choose loafers or boots?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
how did lorin and craig_enid do?

I think Lorin got 8th but I'm not sure about Craig_enid's finish. Craig_enid was riding with sore ribs and wasn't planning on racing but did. Lorin took one bad spill but came out alright. Lorin was staying to see the final results. Justql, well, he wore his boots this time.:p

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I wore boots. It was a fun ride. Entering the test sections 10 seconds apart meant you were catching the guys ahead of you quickly. I rode a smart race, just trying to keep moving all the time. They ran us through some tough sections, ridable but you had to choose your line carefully or you'd get yourself in trouble. I only fell once, an open easy, sandy corner. It happened to be in a test section.
The one time bswift started a test section in front of me left me spitting out dirt, lots of roost. I was yelling "HEY, HEY, HEY,PPST,PUH, AHH, ACK.
Any way, I eventually got around him when he fell. That was right after bswift and I had went around craig_enid. craig went wide in a corner to let bswift and me by on the inside. Problem was that bswift wasn't ready for craig to stop, causing him to almost plow into craig, I in turn almost bred the mamba with my GG. We looked like the three stooges. Sad thing was this was all in a test section, good thing was nobody else saw it.:D
As far as Lorin, I had thought boy if I ever catch him in a test section i'll yell something cute as I go by, like, "move that semi", " get the tank of the trail". I did catch him in one test section. He moved o ver very politely and quickly. All I could think of at the time was , "thanks". Jeez, perfect opportunity and I chocked.:confused:

Last edited:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by justql
As far as Lorin, I had thought boy if I ever catch him in a test section i'll yell something cute as I go by, like, "move that semi", " get the tank of the trail". I did catch him in one test section. He moved o ver very politely and quickly. All I could think of at the time was , "thanks". Jeez, perfect opportunity and I chocked.:confused:

you didn't choke and you know it. you did the right thing.

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
We did miss ya mx547, it was a good ride. The trails were really rocky in spots. I was concerned that your MX bike might've gotten beat up. I did talk to tx246 before I headed down. He opted to sit this one out, saying he didn't want to slow us down. HA, the way I was plowing through the sand my wife could've stayed caught up to me.. On the third and final loop I evenually was doing ok. I was so tired I'd just twist the throttle and hang on. I gave up trying to steer the thing. If it stayed out of the trees I just kept it pinned.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
If it stayed out of the trees I just kept it pinned.

Hey thats what I do in the woods!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Hey thats what I do in the woods!

Except for those Ceder tree YZ magnets.:p

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I think that I managed to get 8th on this race. Not too good, but I was happy just to finish this one. I did have one bad wreck (Thanks again for stopping, Brian) that rang my bell a bit. I tired out quickly on this ride, and just need more saddle time. Justin, I do have your 2nd place trophy and will give that to you in a few weeks. Until then, it will be on the dash of my vehicle, and I am not to be blamed if someone actually thinks it is mine. I did check out your results, and if you had ridden the "B" class, you would have been midpack! I was glad to hook up with you guys and ride. Until next time, Lorin. I think that since this season is over, I may try to get some mx'ing in. Jay???

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Lorin
I think that since this season is over, I may try to get some mx'ing in. Jay???

oh yeah, he's coming around.:)

my next scheduled race is nov. 25th at hickory ridge-a great 500 track (unless i decide to go to the dunes instead). i am tentatively planning on riding practice at cooperland next saturday (the 10th), then justql's farm ride (the 17th & 18th).

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Lorin-How did your picture turn out? I never look at it. Mine looked good. I was in attack position, on the gas, everything perfect but one thing,...I was going off of the trail :( Stupid log.:mad:

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
Lorin, where did you wreck? Glad to hear you aren't hurt.
I got a rear flat half way between the 1st and 2nd checks on the second loop. I ended up ditching the bike off a hill at some point because the silly thing wouldn't stop! Other than that I had a great time. The sand was a blast!!!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
. I ended up ditching the bike off a hill at some point because the silly thing would

I think I saw your bike, didn't see anyone around so I kept going.:p I liked the sand sections but I got so tired at the end that I couldn't hold it open. There was a guy on a KDX that past me in the woods right before the river bottom. This guy still had some energy left and I let him go around. When I hit the sand, I saw him pitching and diving. I took a long outside line and flew by. He didn't catch me until I was at the Porta Privy by the start line. I think that was the only reason I was able to go so fast at the last.:scream:

rockchucker

Nov 17, 1999
#94 - YZF250, started on the same row as Lorin. Several people passed me on that crash. It took two of us to get the bike off the hill as it was upside down... didn't get the name of the guy who helped me out but if you're reading this "THANKS!!" That was a nasty downhill! One other guy wadded it as well, believe he was XR mounted, but he got off better than I did. Was it just me or was that second test/2nd loop a little tight?? I kept telling myself that riding it with a flat really sucked but began to think it would've sucked with or without the flat.

I was grateful of the sand as it was the only area where I could make up time. Too bad it wasn't a test.

Sandchucker? Maybe. More like "Barkeater" after that crash. :think

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Stupid log.:mad:

LOL, typical Red River Dirt Riders move. They always stack up a couple logs before the picture spot so people can get a little air. I'm sure my dad could tell you a story or two about that :) , but they're too long winded to type.

Taraker, dude Xtremeland is this weekend. Muenster aint till December.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Say, does any of you RRDRiders know.... was that the infamous 'Bill's Woods' in the second loop? It seemed pretty tight and gnarly to me....
I ended up with 60 minutes through the tests, last I saw I was 4th on the BJEC C Senior standings, probably dropped a couple of more slots before they finished hanging all the scores.
I'm also a C Senior on the TSCEC, but that classification was combined with the BJEC 'B' Seniors.
I probably only beat the DNFs in that standing.;)

Memories:
-Blasting through the many shallow river crossings
-mooching (lantern mantles, valve stem, duct tape, firewood, ride there and back, chairs....everyone is SO nice...)
-nasty creek that I accidentally got through in good time (for me)
-waking up after a quick nap on the way home, notice being passed by a vehicle, glance at Justin's speedometer....('Are we really going 90?!')
-great job with the logistics by RRDRiders
-Saturday night, big moon rising through the trees, Lorin's periodic campfire conflagration
-BSwift running along I-35 with my bedroll...bedrolls don't 'ride' well at 90mph..
-not being able to do the dishes at home because of sore ribs, but can ride and finish a race:think
-riding last loop standing due to hamstring cramps...realize I'm making good time...vow to get more familiar with standing up and racing...yes, I'm a 'rump rider'....
-WFO across the pastures
-puckering at the drop-offs

See y'all there next year!

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Lorin
I did check out your results, and if you had ridden the "B" class, you would have been midpack!

i think perhaps this should be moved to the flame forum. it looks like somebody is doing a little cherry picking.:debil:

justql

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Great report Criag. LMAO. I too wonder if that was Bill's woods. As far as Lorin's B class stuff........:think read the rules.:cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
BSwift running along I-35 with my bedroll

I did suggest that we unload a bike to go get the bedroll. That embankment looked pretty sweet:p . Remind me to take some suger for the next race. Might need to sweetin' up someones four stroke alarm clock.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
If the trail would've gone through the heart of Bill's Woods, you wouldn't have lived to tell us about it!:)

Top Bottom