To start a ride sublime.

Holton's Brunswick Rd. will be the place,
Where the devil doesn't hide his face.
Come one, come all,
It's bound to be a ball.

Young Ted

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hmmm Im gonna be out to Little Manistee/Lincoln Hills Saturday about the same time. I dont know your plans but your welcome to ride with us if your ride plans fall thru.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Hmmm, sounds like a plan is brewing. Keep us informed, it's supposed to be a nice weekend!

Ward

Jan 23, 2006
YZMAN400 said:
Hmmm Im gonna be out to Little Manistee/Lincoln Hills Saturday about the same time. I dont know your plans but your welcome to ride with us if your ride plans fall thru.

Is this an open invite? ;) If so where are you guys meeting up at?

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Yea the more the merrier.

Gonna meet at 7 mile staging at 9:30am. I think we may have like 4 so far. your gonna need studded tires I think. I hear they got dumped on last week like a foot.

We are gonna try to hit the single track but if its too deep/hard we will be on the wider stuff.

Crap I just realized something. I am probably gonna be breaking trail in the single. Thats one heck of a workout. Oh well.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Darn! I just remembered I have a previous commitment Saturday morning with my wife.

If anyone is planning a ride on Sunday instead and doesn't mind me tagging along, I'd appreciate letting me know.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
HEY TED,
I'M INTERESTED IN MAYBE GOING SAT. THAT WOULD BE A GOOD 1st SPRING RIDE. WHAT ARE THE TRAIL CONDITIONS OVER THERE?? DO THEY STILL HAVE SNOW?? I'M NOT STUDDED. POWERS MOTOR SPORTS IS JUST UP THE ROAD AND I NEED TO VISIT, THEY OPEN AT 9:00AM, AND MEETING AT 10:00 WOULD WORK. LINDA HAS AN L.M.C. MEETING AND WANTS ME TO GO,BUT I'M NOT AN OFFICAL MEMBER AND RIDING SOUNDS BETTER.(SORRY MIKE&FRED) I'LL CALL POWERS TOMMOROW AND GET A WEATHER REPORT, AND WE WILL SEE.
SEE YA!!!
DAVE LEATHERS.

mjbike

Dec 1, 2003
I rode Horseshoe Lake last Sunday. 3-5" snow. Supposed to be 50 and raining next two days.
Holton should hopefully be wet but no snow by Sat.
Just my prediction.
Mike

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Cedar Creek which is just south of there was totaly snow covered last Saturday when I rode it. Holton usualy has more than that, But it has been warm and rainy all week so the snow may be down quite a bit by now.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Looks like I may be working this Saturday but you never can tell... I will keep you guys all posted about trail conditions anyway.. It is raining rightnow and is suppose to be coming down pretty good here pretty soon.. Get some warm spring rain on this snow and its bye bye white stuff and HELLO terra FIRMA YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAWWWWWW
Woodsyyyyyy :ride:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
We interup regular sleep patterns to bring you this SPECIAL report..

True to my word -here is a moment by moment account of the region.... FREEEEEEEEEEEEEKIN RAINING CATS AND DOGS WITH BOOMIN AND FLASHING LIGHTS IN THE SKY!!!! Snow in thee back yard is DISAPPEARING!!! If this keeps up all night everything white in the woods will either be thawed and gone or covered in mud (thanks right my skunk friends - ya best be covering those stripes...)... Riders - be it on the "secret stuff" or on "Young Teds 1st Annual Revenge Of The Winter Blahs" - prepare to do battle!!!!!!!!!
Woodsy :ride:
Now back to sleep ya bums :)

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
"regular sleep patterns" - Since when?

No reason for a change now or that I know of coming up. Snow, rain, mud, downed trees - no big deal. You say," battle", Woodsy, bring it on.

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
MAN YOU GUYS ARE REALLY FREAKING ME OUT. SOUNDS LIKE I'M GOING TO HAVE TO MOUNT MY DOZER BLADE ON THE FRONT OF MY HONDA TO PUSH THE CARNAGE OUT OF THE WAY. HEY MIKE&FRED I SCREWED UP, THE L.M.C. MEETING IS THE18th SO LETS RIDE!!! I SHOULD BE OUT WRENCHING ON THE BIKE INSTEAD OF WRITING THIS. HOPEFULLY SE YOU GUYS SATURDAY.
DAVE LEATHERS.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Well it appears that I will be in South Carolina picking up a car on Saturday... Still not for sure yet though cause my youngest dont get home till tommorrow..
Anyway,,,,,,,, ITS STILL RAINING HERE!!!! Woods are clear and READY for the carnage to begin there YT2!! It is also suppose to be clear and sunny on Saturday with temps in the 60s!!! It dont get know better then that!!!
Woodsy :ride:

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
It looks like I'll be able to :ride: this weekend, but only in the morning. So I'll be running studs since the last weather report I saw said it would be below freezing at first light and I don't want to slip on any frozen puddles.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Ted, are you still riding at Holton or are you going up to the little Manistee with Don? Im picking up my new bike tomorrow and want to try it out.

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Curtis - Check post #13. I'll be out of here in about 9 hours, headed for Brunswick Rd. If you want to try out the new bike, fine. INCA will leave a note as to when and what direction he's headed.

YT2

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Hey Ted, I'm Going To Be Awol For Tommorows Ride. I'm Whipped From Working This Week And Don't Have The Ambition To Go Out And Wrench On The Bike. I Haven't Touched It Since The Death Ride A Bunch Of Us Went On At Horseshoe In November. I Tore Off Throttle Side Bark Buster And Radiator Shroud. Enough Of The Excuses, Just Thought I'd Let Know I Won't Be Attending The Carnage, But I Expect A Full Report And Pictures On Monday. See You On The Trail Soon.
Dave Leathers.

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Ted I prbably wont get there until noon Im picking the bike up from Don Marsh in Kalkaska 1st. Ill be leaving in about 6hrs

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Special to Dave - Your asking for pictures prompted me to take a few. Like nine. A full report tomorrow is however, a no way situation. Reason being I'll be in Wisconsin for the day getting some work done - for a change. Should be able to get something up Tuesday. Running out of time now.

Young Ted

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Great ride on Sat. I got up at 3:00 am just so I could make it work. Had a blast, trail was fantastic - the company was even better. What a great way to start the riding season. Congrats on the new bike Curtis, you've got a winner! Looking forward to the pics Ted and thanks to Inca for the trail maitenance.

Trevor

3KDXXR2

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 3, 2002
Yeah we had a fun ride, the weather was perfect. I only hit 1 spot with snow were it got slick other than that it was just wet trail with good traction. Trevor it was good to meet you, and hang out/ bench race with you & the Trouble maker. Ted got me good with a couple of his jokes, I fell for them hook line and sinker. :bang: After riding we had dinner in Twin lakes at Russ's. Oh by the way I found out another one of Teds secets to longevity. Its Milk and possibly turkey sandwich. Fred, I think he would have gone for the Calm chowder but they were out
Curtis.

Last edited:

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Introduction

Going down the toll road early Saturday morning, I started figuring where Curtis might be. After taking starting points and times into account, I decided he was about an hour ahead of me, and let the matter go. In Indiana a white Chevy cargo van goes past me, then the brake lights go on. When I draw even, the other van takes off again. There was nothing familiar that I saw and passed it off as someone wanting to get a better look at who knows what.

Part one of three.
On pulling in to the Brunswick Rd. parking lot, there was a pickup truck already there and a single track heading out on the trail. While I was getting changed, another pickup with Alaska plates, a trailer and two bikes pulled in. Following a belief of Woodsy’s, I wandered over to see if these two riders were MTR connected. Rich and Brian were from the Grand Haven area, up for a casual ride. After answering some question about the trails and Pentons for them, they headed out.
A short while later I hear a bike coming through the woods. It pulls up to me and the rider says – “I’m Trevor”. My comeback is – “Medley”. He had made a change in plans and gotten an early start as he was coming back from riding the north loop CCW. No point in wasting a warm sunny day by not riding, so off we went after I put up a sign for Curtis. (Picture #1) There was very little snow or thawing puddles on the trail. Lack of studs was not a problem. The most snow was in a small clearing. Maybe 4 inches for about 100 feet. Trevor would stop here and there to let me catch up. At one of the stops he mentioned there were about 20 turkeys no the trail his first time around and now it was down to two. Keep this in mind as it isn’t over yet. At the west end of the connector trail he was talking to Rich and Brian when I pulled up. After a short visit, picture #2 and Trevor putting in a plug for MTR by telling them they would show up here, we went our separate ways. As promised Rich and Brian, here you are.

Young Ted

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 128
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 130

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Part two of three

It was time to get some action shots, so I went ahead and got set up. Trevor had to make a second run for me, as I missed on the first try. We switched places and that gives us pictures #3 and 4. The east side of this loop is probably the tightest part and that keeps it in good shape. Don’t recall any big downed trees or other bad spots. We made another stop at the junction to the south section by Ewing Rd. as I was marking the direction arrows as to what was that way. First thing we know another rider comes up behind us. In the course of tales and what have you it turns out he lives on Skeels Rd. at the north end, his name is Denny and also rides with Woodsy’s good friend from Chicago – “What did you say his name was?” Oh yes, Dan Smith. Like - ‘you can’t hide your lyin’ eyes’ – you can’t hide in the woods either. Picture #5. Denny leaves first and we follow shortly after. Perhaps a mile or so from the parking lot I hit a branch that pops the top straps on the headlight mask. Being this close, I just keep on going, as the bottom straps are OK. After stopping behind the van I see wood coming up between the tank and shroud. It got there by going between the shroud and radiator. The piece was about 1” in diameter and a foot long. Close and never saw it.

Young Ted

Attachments

• #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 129
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 123
  • #5.jpg
    #5.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 135
Top Bottom