RM clutch upgrading with newer RM parts

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
Buying factory parts for a Suzuki can be a headache.
Every year they change there part numbers either fixing a problem, upgrading a part or what ever.

My question is can I upgrade my 2000 RM125 with newer clutch's and plates?

If I look up aftermarket clutch's for my RM they show the same kit for all 125 RM's 1993 thru 2004, which tells me the those years parts should be the same size and interchangable.
But...
If I look at Suzuki's microfiche it shows 2000, 2001 and 2002 thru 2004 used different part numbers for clutches and plates.
I guessing Suzuki made a better clutch set as the years went on until 2002 where they have made no changes since. I have noticed that the 2002 and up parts now have different outer drive plates then the inter plates.
I'm wishing to go thru my clutch set up upgrading with new billet basket and factory clutch's.

Does anyone know if the 2002 and up OEMs will fit well with my 2000 RM?
What was made better as the years changed?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not sure about what changed but your correct about the aftermarket stuff being the same for multiple years. We had some issues here with plate breakage on two different 03's that my son and his buddy race. Based on that we opted away from stock for new plates. I went with a Barnett kit and haven't been real pleased with the clutch action, although it has worked. The other boy went with a kit from DP and it's been real good and clutch action is the same as stock.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
I was in the parts game for a while back in the 80's (Suz and Yam). Suzuki does indeed run a lot of supercessions(not always upgrades, sometimes the supercession will be a vendor change).

The microfiche will show the current number as of the time the 'fiche was produced. If you order a part with a number from, say, the '99 microfiche, and they have superseded the part three times since then you will get the most current supercession when you order the part.

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
reelrazor
I work at a bike shop and I know what you mean by supercedded but Ive found suzuki doesnt roll the part as Honda and Yamaha does. Suzuki might even 9 times out of 10 show the part as discontiniued and leave it up to you to do the research on finding if there is another match.
I work at Yamaha of Troy and we are most into Honda and Yamaha at the shop, we still carry suzuki but thats what we raced awhile ago and we arent quite up on Suzuki anymore. There is a dedicated Suzuki shop up the road 30 minutes or so I was going to hit up with the question but our local guys I have asked questions before dont seem to give the good advise I have gotten from this forum.
:)

Chili
Ive heard about the Suzuki OEM clutch stuff being a weak part of the drivetrain but lately they have seemed to pull it together which is why I was hoping the newer stuff would work and be a better replacement. From what I have read lately there baskets are still a weak link but I will be going with the billet style clearing up this problem.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Basket is definately a problem. We milled our baskets when we were replacing those broken plates. If we end up keeping the bike for another season we are likely going to need an inner and an outer basket. I had read all sorts of stuff about Suzuki clutches but until we broke a few plates (in one real bad mud race) we really had no complaints about clutch action. I really haven't been thrilled with the action since we put in the Barnett kit so we will likely go back to oem plates for the next clutch with a Hinson or Vortex outer basket and a new oem inner basket.

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
Chili
I have spoke to a few peaple about after market clutch's and have always been told OEM is the best.
The one person we have at the shop thats the nation champ with sport ATV's says that the OEM clucth's is the only way to go. Been told that they had tried Barnett and fired them the first day out.
I have been thru my drivetrain replacing the springs, clutchs (aftermarket) and cable but its just not as good of an action even when it was new compared to a used 2 year old YZ Im riding.

Im hoping going back to OEM and the billet basket will fix this. If the newer RM OEM's are of better quality then the 2000 OEMs and will fit it would be nice to know.

What year is your RM Chili?

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Ruffman,

That was the 80's that I was in Suz parts, but still, when you were actually placing the order with American Suzuki via Compuserve you would punch in the number, the puny modem of the day would hum and you would get "receiving communication" and " # xxxxx-xxxxx is not valid, use # xxxxx-xxxxx-a", you would punch that in and get "# xxxxx-xxxxx-a is not valid, use xxxxx-xxxxx-b"...and so on until you were at the current part#(all with no monitor, just a telex printer). Yeah, it helped to do the super research in the book! Our parts manager used to biotch at us to not leave it to him, and when I got "promoted" to entering stock orders I learned to bitch as well as that crap could easily triple your time "online"(which was, I recall, 37 cents a minute) .

But, basically if you wanted a certain part, you HAD to go through the number bumping one way or the other. You COULD call up to Am Suz to request a previous part as sometimes they were rumored or confirmed to be superior to the current supercession.

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
reelrazor
That would be a good idea, calling Suzuki
I'll give them a ring today and see if I get lucky enough to talk to someone that knows what changes were made from 2000 to 2001 to 02-04 parts. Like I was saying I do know that the outer plates are now different then the inter plates which started in 2002 and still carry the same part number thru 2004. With Suzuki using the same part 3 years in a row that just might mean something (they got it right or someones making them priced cheap)

Im half tempted to go with Yamaha but being a mainly Yamaha shop (and Ive been a Suzuki fan) I wanted to stick with something different.

+ Ive heard even with the new YZ having an aluminum frame the 2005 zuki still could end up bike of the year, again.

Quincidently, the 2005 Suzuki was still downed for its clutch feel and a upgrade basket was still considered a must.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Im not so sure the 04 clutch is a problem-ive heard of a few inner plates break but mines been 100% reliable-no grabbing, no notching.Mags tend to bring the same stuff up each year for something to write about-dont trust them much IMO.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
The bikes I'm referring to are my son and his buddies 03's RM125's. I ride an 02 RM250. We had no clutch issues before breaking two plates but that was in extreme circumstances (brutal mud race) but given that his buddy who is a bit of a clutch abuser had shattered a few plates prior to this we opted away from OEM. My 250 has a Vortex outer basket and oem plates and I am pleased with the clutch.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
I have found that the needle bearings that the basket spins on are overlooked waaaayy too often. I have had customers say "I just put a clutch in it, and it hardly lasted/slips/needs constant adjustment/broke plates" and have pulled the basket and found marks on the back edge of the clutch gear where it has rubbed the case.

Far as I am concerned they should be included in clutch kits and replaced every time the clutch is apart.

ruffman

Apr 10, 2002
This is the reason I ask you guys on the forums. Great responces.
99% of the time I ask opinions from the local track guys I get garbage answers.
Its amazing the issues that are brought up on this forum that the local guys have no clue about.
Half the people localy still think a 4 stroke bikes lasts as long and require little maintence as if it were still a old ATV motor running the thing.
Guess thats why are B class riders go to other tracks and get schooled by C class riders
Thanks for your guys input. Im learning alot about my clutch system that I did not know before

Top Bottom