darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I'm in the process of doing a top end on an 02 KX250. I purchased it in March and I have 20-25 hours of riding and Cross country racing on it. When I took the cylinder off I noticed there is a vertical scratch on the front of the cylinder wall, about 1 inch long. The scratch is just deep enough to feel. There is evidence of blow-by on the front of the piston, just below the rings, and a little on the side of the piston in front of the pin hole. The back of the piston is clean. The rings don't show any damage or clues as to how this may have happened.
I have heard and read conflicting information on how this should be handled. Some say ball hone it and go. Some say scotchbrite it and go. Some say it MUST be re-plated.
I'm not really sure what to do. I know I don't want to try to hone out the scratch, and that replating will be the only way to fix it correctly. But what I'd like to do is run the bike for the rest of the season, after I replace the piston and rings, and then have it replated when I do my next top end later this year.
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
If I were you, I would have the cylinder replated by someone like US Chrome. If you keep this bike for a while, you're definately going to want to have it replated because Kawasaki's plating sucks! They are changing their plating process in 2003 to combat this.

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I agree that it will need to be replated, I'm just trying to figure out if i should do it now or if I can get by with a light hone and a new piston and rings for now.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
You could get away with honing it if the scratch is not very deep but I don't recommend this use at your own risk. You really should get it replated.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Dont try to hone a Kwak cylinder-i would run it as it is till the season end-after all you didnt know it was damaged till you took the top end off.I dismantled a brand new KX125 in 94 and it had some scoring on the cylinder from people kicking it over as it was a shop display bike.It ran fine.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom