DPW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2000
I'm getting ready to put my bike in the Cycle Trader and local paper this weekend. I'm looking for some advice on "to do's" and "not to do's" in selling a bike. Mainly the test ride, being the paranoid type that I am I think everyone is going to steal the bike. What's the best way to let the prospective buyer see the bike and test ride it ? I've heard to many horror stories of stolen bikes.

Thanks for your help

Treestomper

Sep 16, 2001
Well so far when selling bikes i have had people that were very good people and did not have a problem with them riding my bike. But you have to remember you have there car they came there with. Also you could ask for their driver's license.

Jh85

May 17, 2001
I remember hearing someone that got mugged after selling his bike. I would definitely try to sell it at work or in parking lot by your local track/trails.

Maybe a little collateral for the test ride, ID, car keys, etc.

You break it you buy it :D

tekin11

May 27, 2002
DPW I probably sound paranoid when I say this, but be careful. I have heard of people coming over to check out a bike for sale just to look around to see where you keep it, or to see if you lock you garage.

It might not be a bad idea to meet potential buyers at a public place, an ideal place would be a local track. Buyer can try it out, but can't get away with any monkey business.

Try to have a couple of friends around and keep you eyes open when showing the bike to potential buyers

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I mean most people you do have to trust. We can't always play the "what if" game but that doesn't mean you can't be prepared. Usually they show up in a vehicle, so gracefully take note of the plate number. Talk to him, make sure he knows something about bikes, make sure he has ridden before if not walk him throught it very slowly and tell him not to switch gears. When I sold my bike the kid wasn't very good on a bike, he could ride it just not fast. His dad wanted to know that all the gears were good so I took it for a ride, wheelied it, went through all 6 gears, slammed on the breaks etc...
Also if they have a friend with them, keep an eye on them. I would not go as far as asking for keys, maybe just photo id. If they have a VERY crappy car, make sure you check them out because in that case they won't even care if you have the keys.

I mean usually you can tell if the guy is a good guy, unless he is a good actor. Or he is a professional theif :(

But usually it's hard to go wrong, lots of the time it's a father son combo.

Anyother questions just shoot :cool:

Milquetoast

Uhhh...
Oct 30, 2001
I wouldn't worry so much on a dirtbike, but selling a streetbike is much more scary. If the guy got there in a truck or car or whatever for a dirtbike, just make sure that you are sitting there on their vehicle as collateral. I do truly feel that the VAST majority of people aren't there to take you, they just want a reasonable deal like you do.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
As stated... meet them in a public place, do NOT give them your home address. Tell them that once they buy the bike, if they ride it and are not satisfied on their test ride, you'll give them their money back.

Zoomer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 17, 2000
if they ride it and are not satisfied on their test ride, you'll give them their money back

Minus funds for any damaged incurred in the test ride :cool:

I once had a guy wheelie one of my open bikes over backwards on me, and came back and said thanks,to much power and left. 3 of them, 1 of me. :eek: Lessoned learned. No money, no test ride

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It's always a gamble when selling something like that. Not meeting at your home is a good idea, bring it to your work if that's possible, that way the buyer doesn't think something's funny either. They are just as leary as you if they are good buyers. A test ride is a tough one but make sure they drive up in something, not just walk from around the corner (yes, it has happened!) Having someone there with you is also good, keeping an eye on things and getting info on the car they came in and so on...

Be up front about if it gets damaged during a test ride, they pay for it. If they don't like it, it isn't worth it. And now when it comes to money, cash is always perfect but if they want to give you a cashier's check, take them and the check to the bank and cash it with them. If that isn't possible, make it that way! There are way too many fake checks running around and if they don't like it, again, it isn't worth it, really.

If a buyer doesn't want to give up his/her info, walk away, there are plenty other buyers out there. Don't feel bad about asking for info, tell them it protects both the buyer AND the seller. And finally, send in your release of liablility after the sale, if your state has one. It makes sure that you are released from any liability after the sale, and make a copy of it. Good luck

Elk

jwabram

Spammer
May 17, 2002
I'm finally getting my first dirt bike this Sunday!!! What I chose to do as a buyer is deal with someone that was a DRN member. Maybe this a false sense of security, but it does make me feel better.

What he chose to do as a seller is have us meet halfway at a MX park. He wasn't picky about how I paid him, but I decided a cashier's check was a show of faith on my part. As far as my testride, he's got another bike and we're going to ride together at the park. I think it's a perfect way to go about it. I look at it not only as a business deal, but I chance to meet another rider and hopefully make a new friend.

Just my 2 cents...good luck!

DPW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2000
Thanks for all the advice guys, it defiantly helped. I'm meeting my first prospective buyer Saturday evening. I'll post how it goes. :aj:

Top Bottom