Steve_R6

Feb 20, 2002
Ok, here's the deal guys. I started riding dirt when I was 13, had an RT100 till 16 and always rode a friends CR125, then the all important 4 wheeled vehicle came and the dirtbike had to go. But, I got my motorcycle endorsement and rode cruisers till 18, then I bought my first crotch rocket (CBR600 followed by a Yamaha R6) and am trying to sell it as of now to buy another dirtbike. I rode my friends YZ250F this past weekend and liked it alot, it had enough power to scare me a little because I haven't been on dirt in so long. But I can't shake the feeling that I'll get bored with it and wish I'd bought the 250 two stroke after a month or two. I'm going to try racing this beast but I'm also going to be doing a fair amount of trail riding with my buddies. My main concern is that the 2 stroke 250 will be too much for me to handle and I'll never be able to be competitive (even in C class) with it. I want to be able to at least keep up with the pack. lol The bike also needs to be good mannered in the woods because I'll spend alot of time there too. AHHHHHH!!!!! The stress!!! :ugg: If you were me what would you get?

colem

Mod Ban
Sep 29, 2002
From what you've said it sounds like a 250f would be better. As long as you get a 2003 model starting it shouldn't be a problem.

rooster1713

Oct 24, 2002
hey steve, I'm facing the same dilemma as you and have done alot of posting on here regarding it. Like you, I owned a dirt bike when I was younger and have a good amount of street experience. From what I've heard, a 250F is the way to go. motorcycledaily just reviewed the 03 250F and say it is the best bike made. Its a really thorough review and will probably help with your decision. I hear that the 250 2 strokes and 450 4 strokes can be a handful, too. Supposedly its really easy to ride and hence is more fun and makes you go faster. Good luck and post a review on here if you get one!

mark :thumb:

Last edited:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Steve: I will go out on the limb here and predict that you will be bored with the 250F in a very short time!! If you had and enjoyed a crotch rocket you will not be happy with the 250f - not enough bike!! Remember that those were made to be competition with the 125's - they are very simular in nature to 125's in performance! Read abouthem and you will fiind that their design is one of high rev horseys that are fun but not necessarily the right tool for woods work! The WR250F is the better woods bike once the mods have been done because of the wide ratio tranny! I had a 2002 WR250 and I got bored with it in less then the month you mentioned!! I sold it and went back to 2 strokes!!
On the other hand, the YZ250 2 smoker has been and still is an AWESOME bike with incredible controlable umph... It pulls real nicely off the bottom with a super mid hit that will definitely fight off those "I am bored with this bike and I have only had it a month" feelings!!
Now to really put a spin on the ol "which bike should I buy" syndrome. Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy nothing until you have a chance to ride them each a little!! I have been spending alot of time riding with a huge group of guys (club members) and have taken the time at all outings to trade bikes with the others to get a taste of the variety of bikes out there. I will tell you from experience that you CANNOT believe everything you read or are told!! The proof is in the ride buddy!!! In the last summer I have ridden a DRZ, VOR, Husky, KTM520/200/300, YZF400/426, YZ250, XR400/650r, CRF450, Gas Gas and I can tell you that the CRF is by far the most magical machine there is available!!!
Now I shall elaborate on it in comparison with the WR/YZF. The CRF sits lower (much easier to ride in the woods), weighs less, comes with a VERY wide power band (read the latest Dirt Rider mag and look carefully at the power curve), comes with a guarantee that you will not get bored (well not really but if you do you're in trouble cause you have no where left to go so you might as well quit bikin and go back to playing marbles)!!!!!!!!
With out a doubt, if I were in your shoes (hey you asked) there would be a CRF in my garage!!!
Oh by the way, you ride a CRF and have the ability, the pack WILL be behind you (that YZ250 will be on your back side though LOL)!!
Later
Woodsy

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
I can atest to the power of the YZ250 2 stroke. I have the '02, and man the bike is unreal! Front wheel is up in any gear, any time you want. From bottom to top, the bike pulls and pulls....It eats deep sandy berms for breakfast...My only complaint is the suspension...Kinda stiff...Needless to say the suspension is being sent out this winter...

One question you need to answer is what kind of riding style do you have? Do you want instant horsepower, or a smoother, more tractable power? Well, that's two questions, huh?? :confused:

OK, for what it's worth, I'm thinking of switching from the 250 2 stroke to the YZ450F....4 stroke is the wave of the future...Might as well hop on and get a head start on everyone else! :ugg:

Steve_R6

Feb 20, 2002
I did ride my friends 250F around for a few hours the other weekend and liked it alot, seemed very easy to get reaquainted on. I was suprised at its lack of low end for a four stroke though. Not to say it's not quick because it is I found that out. :yeehaw: But if I was getting used to it that easy and was starting to do dumb **** on it already it to me signifies I'd be bored with it in a very short period of time. I think i'm leaning towards the YZ250, most likely a 2001. My other concern with the 2 smoke is the top end, how often and how much of a pain in the ass is it to change? I'm guessing it's good for 20-30 hours if you're racing, longer if I keep it mostly on the trails. Everything I've read about the 250 2 stroke says it's got plenty of power but it comes on smooth and tractable, anyone want to attest to that? That's what I'm worried about tis that I won't have tractable power from it.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
steve -

do yourself a favor and don't limit your choices to 2 bikes. both the bikes you're talking about are great (never rode the 250f myself) but look around. there's lots of great bikes and not all of them are blue.

as for whether you ought to get a 2 or 4 stroke 250, thats like asking whether you should get a porsche or a VW: they're both fun, they're both hip, but there is literally nothing to compare performance wise between them. having said that, i never rode a YZ 250 i didn't love.

again, do not limit yourself this early in the process. shop green, red, and what the hell, orange and yellow too. there are just too many good bikes out there.

jeremiah

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
I have an '01YZ250 and I'll guarantee that you will not get bored with it. :eek: It has INSTANT throttle response but hooks up extremely well but I have revalved the suspension. It can be a handfull in the tight woods but it is all in your throttle and clutch control. When I first got the bike in Feb.'02, I had a hard time staying on the front of the seat. :scream: Now I have learned to keep my fingers on the clutch and pull it in a little when it starts to get away from me. This has kept me from introducing my face to a few trees. ;) Since you have ridden sportbikes, I believe you are a thrill seeker. You'll get all the thrills you can handle on the 01YZ250.

Shift-MX

Feb 10, 2002
Does a 250 have alot more low end then a 125? Like if i were to be riding in REALLY tight woods trails would i need to clutch it alot to keep the power up? Im also decidng between a 250 and a 250f.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Originally posted by Shift-MX
Does a 250 have alot more low end then a 125? Like if i were to be riding in REALLY tight woods trails would i need to clutch it alot to keep the power up? Im also decidng between a 250 and a 250f.
I ride in really tight woods and the stock gearing was WAY to high so I had to keep the clutch in to keep from going to fast. I re-geared to 13/52 and can tractor up anything, so no, you don't have to feather the clutch to keep the power up, but to stay in control, 'cause it's a bit jumpy but I have no problem with that. The only time I've needed to use the clutch to get power up has been when I'm climbing a hill in 3rd when I should be in 1st or 2nd and my feet are off the pegs(poor technique) so I can't shift.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
i believe that woodsy said the he (steve) might get bored with the 4 stroke 250. anyone who finds a YZ250 (2 strk) boring might want to consider a different sport, with a bit more danger and excitement,like cobra juggling.

jeremiah

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Right on the money Beer!!!!
Woodsy
And you said it best
"as for whether you ought to get a 2 or 4 stroke 250, thats like asking whether you should get a porsche or a VW: they're both fun, they're both hip, but there is literally nothing to compare performance wise between them. having said that, i never rode a YZ 250 i didn't love."
Of course that is unless we are comparing the infamous CRF450 to that YZ250 - then things get interesting!!! I have to admit though that the YZ is probably the wisest choice because of the amount of time it has been in production but the Honda is WAY AWESOME - read the latest comparison between the 2 in Dirt Rider - WHAT A TEST - and then go ride a CRF and come back and tell us what your honest opinion is.

Steve_R6

Feb 20, 2002
I think I'm leaning more and more towards trying to find a 2001 YZ250. :aj: And to clear it up I'm well aware that the 250F and 250 are dramatically different, I just didn't want to end up with something so powerful that it's not tractable is all. But you YZ owners out there have sold me, you guys sure seem to love your bikes. :cool: Granted I'll probably be slower for a good while more than with the F but I won't have to buy a new bike down the road. Unless I buy the thumper CRF to go alongside it. :thumb: Thanks for all the input guys, I'll let you know how it works out. Gonna have to wait till I sell the R6 though. Know anyone looking for a 2001 Yamaha R6 mint condition with lots of goodies?? :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I just pulled some HP numbers from the FMF site from some dyno runs to give you an idea. The bikes are a stock '02 CRF 450, a stock '01 YZ 250, and a stock '01 YZ250F. One thing that is kinda strange is I have seen dyno's of the '03 250F peaking at 34 HP. And I thought the CRF made well over 50 HP. Anyways... here are the numbers.

RPMs...CRF HP...YZ 250 HP...YZ 250F HP
11,000....35............--.............29
12,000....--............--.............27
13,000....--............--.............25

Steve_R6

Feb 20, 2002
Very interesting, thanks for postin that it actually anwsers a good deal of my questions about power delivery. I sure am gonna mis having a high revving four stroke if I go the YZ250 route. Redline on the R6 is 15,500 with right around 100 horse. :)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Yea Nikki thanks - one more thing, could you share with me the web address for FMF?

Top Bottom