So I Just Bought My First Dirtbike

DarbySS

Dec 11, 2006
A 2005 Honda CRF250R. I'm very excited, and cant wait to hit the trails and track.

Since I know very little about dirtbikes, and am new to this sport, I decided to read the owner's manual from cover to cover.

I must say, that the maintence is a little overwhelming, compared to the street bike and waverunner I've owned in the past. I'm pretty mechanical, and I knew these things were high maintenence, but it seems like you can completely ruin the motor, very very easily.

Is that just Honda being overly cautious, or is it really that easy to ruin the machine?

I am going tonight to buy oil, trans oil, air filters, oil filters, coolant and chain lube etc. Since it is used, I want to do a complete systems check and refresh all the fluids and filters. I only know what the seller told me about it's history.

Any advice on taking care of these bad boys?

Much thanks. Super excited in Texas!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I wouldn't do a complete tear down on a less than 2 year old 4 stroke, unless it had been ridden hard by the previous owner, and if he had been lax on the maintenance.

Change the fluids out, and go over the bike with an eagle eye.. If you see anything that indicates that there may be something wrong, investigate.

If everything looks in order, and doesn't indicate something that the seller didn't tell you, then ride and listen.. If you don't know what to listen for, find someone who you can trust that knows 4 strokes, and let them ride it to see if there are any issues you might not hear or feel.

If it passes that test, I'd say leave it alone and ride!!

If a 4 Stroke is properly maintained, and not hammered on, they can last a long time.

If you let every punk on the block beat the crap out of it and never do basic maintenace, it's gonna be a headache.

Make your maintenance routine a part of your ride. I am never done with my ride until the bike is clean and looked over. Makes it much nicer for the next ride, everything that is broken get's fixed and all I need to do is load up and go.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
The maintenance schedule posted recommended by Honda is a little excessive. I would follow the manuals service intervals for the chassis. That includes swing arm bearings and wheel bearings. I even pick the seals out of the wheel bearings and repack them with grease periodically. These are parts whose lives will be prolong by regular and frequent maintenance, saving you money. The engine stuff can be fudged a little, especially if you're a begginer rider. Honda says 7.5 hours for the piston. Most of us run 20-30 hours on rings and replace the piston every 3rd or 4th set of rings. If the piston is in spec, there is no sense in replacing it.

Oh, wait, this is a 4-stroke. Ok, follow the manual's maintenance intervals for the chassis and for the valves. The piston and rings in that bike are probably good for 40+ hours, under the seat of a begginer.

RM2Fiddey

Jan 10, 2007
After ur exitement of riding stops for about an hour lol I would tear it down and replace the rings and also check the compression just to make sure your bike is top notch

Top Bottom