So the KDX is officially dropped by Kawasaki. What are you going to do?

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
KDX is being kept for spare bikes for friends (or me) to ride.

2006 CRF250X is in the garage. :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
COMBEN said:
kmccune: When you rode the CRF-250X did it 'feel' heavier to you and top heavy, wasn't a 450 per chance ;)

It was the 450, but I don't think, that I said anything about riding one in the post. Are you calling me out? :nener: ;)
The 250 feels heavier to me as well, but that is sitting on the dealer floor so riding feel may be different.

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
hulagun said:
I own a KDX but eventually I'll go diesel (er I mean 4 stroke). Four strokes are cleaner and they just get better and better power wise. Gotta keep the air as clean as we can, if motorcycling wants to survive we gotta at least be open to new ideas and technologies. (Like being cleaner than the dirtbike haters yuppie cars and hippie vans). Anyway the KDX being dropped could be a sign that Kawasaki believes the future is in 4 strokes.

Im sorry but what you just said angers me :pissed: . Who cares if 4-strokes are cleaner and your statement that they have better power is just your opinion. I happen to believe 2strokes have the best power and 4strokes are more for old fat men. The whole 'keeping the air clean' is absurd. we ride dirt bikes. once or twice a week tops and we ride what? 2 3 4 hours or more? WE DONT have an impact. It is absurd to say that we must switch to 4strokes because we need to keep the air clean. And you know what? who friggin cares what kawasaki thinks! If kawasaki started leaning towards new electric bikes because they keep the air clean would you buy one of those? Of course kawasaki thinks 4strokes are the future, why would they spend millions of dollars on the new mx 4strokes, refuse to import the 125 to the us, make the 07 250 BNG, and drop the most popular off-road bike they ever made? Yea, I think kawi is liking the 4stroke thing. I for one am royally pissed at kawasaki. :pissed: I dont think I will ever go green again. they show no intrest in the consumer. From now on its all orange. They actually make a bike thats fits my needs and then some. and also they go out of their way to make that model legal! I dont want a 4stroke and I will never buy one as long as ktm keeps churning out 2strokes that are WAY better than any 4stroke. (my opinion of course) But anyways ,buy what you want! Buy what you have fun on the most. and for me and most people having fun is riding a 2stroke. :ride:

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
a GasGas will probably be my next bike if the price goes down a bit. The dealer i got to alot sells them and they are very nice bikes. They come stock fully decked out. They have an fmf pipe Ohlin's suspension and many other quality parts. But thats the reason the price is soo high.

767Capt

Jul 24, 2006
New guy here. We've got a fleet of CRF's, including a 250X. My favorite bike though, is the '97 KDX220 I recently bought. Fun, light, fast, SIMPLE. The 250X quit on our last trip, and now it's in the shop getting a new cylinder, piston, valves, crankshaft, etc. $2000... We're a family of trail/desert riders. No racing, don't bump it off the rev limiter. The CRF250's require a lot of work. Far more than a "trail bike" should. Certainly not my idea of Honda reliability. When it gets rebuilt, it's up for sale and we'll get another KDX. Probably two more, I like it that much...

Ed

Ud Luz

Jan 4, 2002
kdxtodd said:
4strokes are more for old fat men.
Spoken by someone that has never ridden a Husky TE510.

On topic though, the KTM 200 xc-w is a great replacement for the KDX200 although it's rather expensive.

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
kmccune said:
It was the 450, but I don't think, that I said anything about riding one in the post. Are you calling me out? :nener: ;)
The 250 feels heavier to me as well, but that is sitting on the dealer floor so riding feel may be different.

Whoops, not sure what "calling me out means"....is that the same as "did you spill my pint?" :whoa:
.............there I go again, I incorrectly assumed the +30lb and higher c/g figures was from riding experience not a reliable source or heresay...I applogise unconditionally.
I also mistakingly understood there was only 10lbs in it nowadays twixt 2T and 4T I'm such a silly ar*e, sorry....
Please be assured that I will be writing to Herr Helmut Grubber chief of KTM Austria marketing regarding their '07 brochure, and Hirohito Ichiiring San of Honda Japan sales pertaining to the '06 brochure and will use this thread as proof of the errors that can effect such publications

.....anyway what am I doing sticking up for 4 strokes I 'want' a GAS GAS 2 stroke :fft: but I'm KEEPING my 220R :cool:

cheers for now

QLD_KDX

Aug 18, 2005
BRush said:
I have not been around in awhile. So the KDX is officially done? Nothing for the 07 line up? That's a shame. If you are a 2 stroke guy, it looks like its an MX bike or nothing if you want to stay green. Too bad Kawasaki never built the woods bike I always wished they would: KX125 chassis, with a woods-tuned suspension and a KDX 200 motor. So what are you woods riders going to do? Keep the KDXs alive forever? While I still have my trusty 96 KDX, my main ride these days is an 05 KTM 300EXC. At least you can still get a decent 2T Woods bike from KTM or Gas Gas (one good thing about the KTM world is that there are a LOT of riders there who got into riding on a KDX and still have a soft spot in their hearts for it).

I'm with you BRush...although I had to sell my trusty '96 200 to buy a trusty '00 KTM300, I still have fond memories of the KDX and still trawl this forum :)

It IS a shame kawasaki haven't got the vision that KTM have (and GG as well). We in Australia don't have the same issues with 2t as the USA (yet) and in an interview with the KTM CEO in a local dirtbike mag the other year, KTM stated their commitment to 2t development - the 2 stroke in Australia will never die while KTM is around!!

Andrew

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
COMBEN said:
is that the same as "did you spill my pint?"

:yikes: :)

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
ooooer, TM's and KDX sales

KDXruss said:
Please correct if I'm wrong but I belive what kmccune is trying to say is he'll come round' and ''knock you up'' :) :cool:

oooooer! I best carry a cork around with me in case we meet on the trail :yikes:

Also, I seem to seeing a few more TM's @ UK hare and hounds, they sure look pretty and blue seems very 'in' this summer...hey this 'tyre kicking' for a new bike is great fun!
I see that GASGAS have introduced a cheaper EC-200 called the 'Hobby' to appeal to the KDX type market, not sure if you guys have this in the US, it has no name but decent brakes, 'fixed' but capable suspension and a few down grades such a non O ring chain and other easy changed sillyness and got a good review in TBM (trail bike monthly)

Seriously, it would be great if someone knew, for sure, the actual amount of KDX-200/220 sold worldwide, or US or UK maybe....we couldn't cuss Kawasaki if they just aren't selling enough KDX's to justify the expense of another product line and their undeniable user friendly qualities appeal to only a select and dare I say, discerning few?
We are all fans of the KDX, or we wouldn't be here would we (?) so it's possible that the real demand isn't there, hence the demise, but our hearts think different because, we are so fond of our KDX's
.....can a bike have soul? If so, I think my lil' 'flying kaw' has it in spades, just like the family dog, reliable, friendly, never bites back and great company....got to go I'm filling up now!

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
If you dont mind going 4 stroke , then you will be pleased to know that Kawasaki is launching a 450 enduro bike next year , there is rumours that it may be called a KDX 450 .

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
KDXruss said:
Please correct if I'm wrong but I belive what kmccune is trying to say is he'll come round' and ''knock you up'' :) :cool:

That would be "knock you down" and nope, spilling my pint would be fare worse :nod:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
KDX CRAZY said:
... a KDX 450 .

I know someone who has one. It's been sitting in his garage since 1986.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Lukekelly said:
You know there making a kdx 450 Right guys?
Scoop? Is this a scoop? Fill us in please!

Lukekelly

Apr 16, 2006
Jeff fredette

BRush said:
That's why I still have my KDX. It's still fun to ride. Plus I can take the KTM down for maintenance without having it cut into my weekend ride schedule.

Anyone heard what Jeff Fredette will be racing for '07?

I went to the world enduro and found out what fredette was racing (this minute) a kxf 450, I'd still see him racing a kdx because as I heard there will be a kdx 450 :nod: :) (In the works now) Out by end of 07' I think

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
KDX CRAZY said:
If you dont mind going 4 stroke , then you will be pleased to know that Kawasaki is launching a 450 enduro bike next year , there is rumours that it may be called a KDX 450 .

As long as it's not a warmed over DRZ-400.

COMBEN said:
Seriously, it would be great if someone knew, for sure, the actual amount of KDX-200/220 sold worldwide, or US or UK maybe....we couldn't cuss Kawasaki if they just aren't selling enough KDX's to justify the expense of another product line and their undeniable user friendly qualities appeal to only a select and dare I say, discerning few?
We are all fans of the KDX, or we wouldn't be here would we (?) so it's possible that the real demand isn't there, hence the demise, but our hearts think different because, we are so fond of our KDX's

I think the demand for a purpose-built 2T woods bike is there. KTM and GasGas are doing just fine in that market. If the KDX sales have fallen off, it's because Kawasaki refused to invest in product development and the 1995 platform (the last non-BNG KDX redesign) has become more and more dated, and the gap between the KDX and the aforementioned eurobikes has gotten larger and larger.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I think the demand for a purpose-built 2T woods bike is there. KTM and GasGas
Seriously though, those companies should be looking for a niche... either of them could be bought and dumped 100 times over by any the big 4.

But, it's great that there is someone out there small enough to keep developing a bike that a LOT of people still want. Were it not for companies like that, the 2-T would be gone already.

Top Bottom