JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I must be dreaming. One of my friends ofered to trade a 2000 KTM 380MXC for my baby-poop green MGB convertible. He came over, looked at the car, drove it around, and agreed to a trade.

Straight up.

Even.

Should I be suspicious? I know the guy pretty well, and I've ridden the bike on several occasions.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Personally, why would you want to keep the MGB? Dang ol' Brits never seemed to get the wiring straight . . . ;)

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Pred, the B has a host of wiring problems. (Of course.) He knows all about the car's glitches, but he's all over a trade. I know the 380 pretty well, too. I rode it last month. All of his friends are getting married and stuff, and he has no one to ride with. I'm gonna jump on the deal. I just can't believe it's happening.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Some people have all the luck :think: Good job, but are you sure the MGB is not worth more than the MXC? I believe those MGB's are hard to come by, but I could be wrong. I just saw one one ebay with a 'buy it now' for $4500. The drawback with the trade would be the MXC will depreciate and the MGB will probably appreciate. But sometimes you just have to say, 'what the f#$%', its a new ride!

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I bought the MG back in November for $1000. I probably have $2500 in it as of now. The car is not bad, but it's not my cup of meat. I guess I'm spoiled. I sold my 968 Cabrio last July, and the MG is somewhat. . .lacking in comparison. The numbers work. A little research on Cycle Trader's site shows that similar 380 MXC's go for $3200-$4000.

The MG doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
To help ease your pain let me suggest this:
You trade your car for your friends bike.
Then trade me the bike for my 84 CR500
Then everyone is happy

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
JP -

Go for it, man!

BTW, you guys got some nasty tight woods down there! And rain too. :eek:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Thanks for the offers, guys, :think: but now that I've managed to unscrew myself, I think I'll just maintain the status quo.

Rooster, you sound like you've enjoyed a Sunday afternoon ride with Lemming at Clanton. :)

chumbucket

Apr 5, 2001
To find the answer to your question first drive south until your car runs out of gas, then get out of your car and get in a fight with the first person you see. Then drive back home send all your money to me then and only then you will know the answer to your question.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Rooster, you sound like you've enjoyed a Sunday afternoon ride with Lemming at Clanton.

I wish! I spent the whole visit on a slip deck in the rain and lightning. :( We slipped two structures, one Flour Mill 180' tall, the grain storage 150' tall. No time for riding. Whew, am I tired. Time to go riding. :)

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
We've had some pretty freaky weather lately. . .even for Alabama. Saturday the high temp was 92 degrees. This week has been cool and dry, with temps around 70. Last night it was 48 degrees.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. ;)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Dude, make the trade! I have a feeling there are far less wiring nightmares to be had with the Austrian mount than that freaky little British rig!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Trade it man. I had a 78 MGB and it gave me more problems than I could handle. You can still wear the scarf and funny hat when you ride the bike. :D

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
Yeah JP, I would do the trade, (as long as bike is paid off, Im sure it is!)
Even if for some reason you dont like the bike, you can always sell or trade it in for an 03, right?
I always wondered what it would be like to ride that 2smoke 380? compared toe the 250F anyhow, thats a difference in style thats for sure.
-------------------
BTW, I agree with the majority on here. I have heard that the MG is like throwing money out the window, always work to do, breaking down, expensive parts....Good luck!!!

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Would that make you Orange Julius?

This deal is done, right? I mean if you don't dump that rolling pile of lucas electrics you will regret it.
If you keep the MGB, it will disolve into a pile of rust aproximatly 1 week after it is too late to make the deal. Of coarse if you do trade it all of the problems will disapear & twice a week you will see the new owner driving around with some premium trim.

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
It's a done deal. All I have to do is button up some loose ends, and I'm home and dry.

I had a Midget when I was 20. Seems like I would have learned from that experience. It overheated every 7 miles, and eventually the transmission scattered itself all over the pavement. This car isn't that bad, but I never could get motivated to finish it. Too much effort, not enough reward.

I guess I'll NEVER get to wear my tweed jacket with the leather elbow patches. :whiner:

LOL FJ! Guaranteed!

Last edited:

NeedSpeed

Feb 16, 2001
Ahhhh, MG's, I've had the pleasure of owning two Midgets....
Tooooo Many stories, that always get a laugh when I tell them now, but when it was happening, quite different.....Ex...losing the brakes...Front Wheel falling off and passing me on the street...won't start unless it sits for an hour...and being that I'm 6'2 and used to have long hair, it was always interesting with the top up :scream:
Anyway, GO For the BIKE.......

J

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I had a Midget when I was 20. Seems like I would have learned from that experience. It overheated every 7 miles, and eventually the "transmission" scattered itself all over the pavement.

I believe they prefer the term "little people". And for heaven's sake! What on earth were you doing to her? I hope it was a her! :scream:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
After I put her back together, she left me for a guy who poses for trophies.

Last I heard, she had joined the Pro Bowler's Tour.

Top Bottom