Splitting a healthy bottom end, what should I replace?

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
Some c-clips broke on me, so I'm splitting the bottom end to look for parts of the broken clips just so that they don't ruin my welded and replated cylinder and new piston. While I'm down there, what should I replace? Everything was working good as far as I could see.

Both crank bearings and seals, of course all gaskets needed for the job, inspect the electrical stuff on the left side for good connections and all, I'm gonna put a new clutch in, it could use it, what else?
What stuff for the water pump would be good to replace? Seals and stuff, I'm not sure how the water pump is put together and everything off the top of my head, I have a manual though.
A friend in doing the work for me, I just have to get all the parts and all.

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
If you had a C-clip break theres possibility that gears could be messed up. Check ALL the bearings if theres pieces of metal in there then chances are there is at least one bearing that is messed up especially if your bike is a 96 then you should prolly replace all the tranny bearings. Your crankcase adn your transmission are seperate so you dont have to worry about your new plating or crank. Check the condition of your clutch basket, the plates where grooves in it. Your water pump shaft and seal may need to be replaced because the seal wheres a groove in it.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
No, I think he meant a C-clip that holds the piston pin broke. Therefore no tranny issues. I would think unless you were very hard on the tranny, the tranny bearings are fine. After splitting the cases, spin all tranny bearings and replace any that have any roughness. Also, take a good look at the gear dogs and make sure the shift forks are ok. I would definitely change the crank bearings and seals. Also check to see the crank itself is in good shape.

SoFlo

Jul 31, 2005
darringer said:
No, I think he meant a C-clip that holds the piston pin broke. Therefore no tranny issues. I would think unless you were very hard on the tranny, the tranny bearings are fine. After splitting the cases, spin all tranny bearings and replace any that have any roughness. Also, take a good look at the gear dogs and make sure the shift forks are ok. I would definitely change the crank bearings and seals. Also check to see the crank itself is in good shape.

Yeah, the clips that hold the piston pin in, those are the ones. So basically just examine everything and don't hesitate to replace whatever is questionable. :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom