wallasaki

May 23, 2002
New guy w/ a kdx 200. A few questions: Some great trails close to home, is there any way to ride this bike legally to the trails? Will the brake pads make noise when ready to change - typical wear life? Is it customary to need to adjust clutch w/in 1st month of riding? Any measurements(length of screw sticking out from carb) on the carb idle screw for best results - cant seem to get a good setting. Chain seems very loose even when meeting the manual 2.2-2.8" measurement from swing arm - is this normal? New to the sport - love the bike. Anything else to help would be appreciated. Thanks a ton in advance.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
You need to check with the Local DMV to see if you can make the bike street legal. Here - Oregon - if I lived outside of the city limits I could street legal a KDX if I can get insurance for it. You have to have a light and brake light to run during the daytime. Blinkers for nighttime driving.

For the chain slack, have someone sit on the seat and bounce on the rear suspension. You should be able to see why you need that amount of slack in the chain.

Brake pads, inspect them. They should usually last at least 1-2 riding seasons if you are not racing. Once they get to about 1/4 of the stock thickness, change them out.

If it is a brand new bike, you may need to adjust the clutch and both brake levers after break-in.

Other advice, grease all the bearings in the bike! That means disassemble the wheels, rear suspension, swingarm and headstem bearings to clean and pack them full of grease.

Last edited:

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Re-jet you're bike, it may sound scary and un-needed, but will help. See C. Dave's JustKDX for recommendations, they're pretty spot on.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom