Sudden loss of top end power (KX250)

tekx

Mar 15, 2007
i know this is something i did. i just replaced the kick start shaft.
im sure it has something to do with whatever the thing is right above the water pump that comes out of the case and up to the cylinder. power valve?
i probably just should take it back apart and see whats up. theres a couple of fork lookin things (one in the case and one coming out of the cylinder) and the one in the case is kinda hard to make sure it goes in right while your putting the case back on.
any insight on this?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You're on the right track by being suspicious of the power valve linkage. They can be tricky to set up and I wouldn't recommend doing it without a manual.

tekx

Mar 15, 2007
quick update.
i have it back apart and when i took the coolant hoses off the water pump only the on coming from the radiator had anything in it. i only ran it for maybe ten minutes. i should i be worried about this, yes? no coolant in the hose leading to the cylinder.
the power valve seems pretty cut and dry but something is obviously not right.
i dont see how you can get the cover back on and not have that part right. and the upper part attaching to the rod in the cylinder seems straight forward too.

altho i just checked on the exploded view of these parts and there is a wave washer that i dont recall seeing... maybe it got lost in the disassembly.

Last edited:

mxdj666

Apr 1, 2007
you probably just didnt get the fork seated in the groove on the powervalve governor gear , and it will go together if its not right thats the crappy part, yamahas have a similiar setup and i've had the same problem, on your coolant problem i know some kawis have a bleeder on top of the cylinder on the head . you loosen it then fill the radiator and when you see water come out just tighten it up and finnish filling the system.

tekx

Mar 15, 2007
mxdj666 said:
you probably just didnt get the fork seated in the groove on the powervalve governor gear , and it will go together if its not right thats the crappy part, yamahas have a similiar setup and i've had the same problem, on your coolant problem i know some kawis have a bleeder on top of the cylinder on the head . you loosen it then fill the radiator and when you see water come out just tighten it up and finnish filling the system.
i hope your right about the fork. i cant find a wave washer anywhere. there looks to be about .060" play that the washer would take up.. if push comes to shove ill make one and see if that effects it. now that i think of it when i was putting the cover back i heard a snap sound when tightening the bolts which could have possibly been exactly what you said.
ill have to get back at it tomorrow because there is a storm here that apparently has spawned tornadoes earlier.

thanks for the heads up on the bleeder too.

Top Bottom