that distinctive shin scar, anybody?

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Does anybody else have a scar on the inside of their right shin, from the kickstart? I ride without boots, and my old 250 is nasty and likes to kick back, or my shoes get muddy and I slip sideways off the kickstart, taking a generous strip out of my leg, it's not like I needed that flesh anyways :|

After going through this about fifteen times a week, my right leg was an impressive array of colours, and truly amazing formations. A while after biking season was over,and the swelling went down, I noticed an odd formation that was not going away. Just to the inside of the middle of my shin, I noticed a mushy indent where there should be bone and a large chunk of hard material under the skin that when I gently press on it, moves around.After an entire winter of not riding, the mushy spot seems to have mostly dissapered, but the large, hard, floating lump is still there. It doesn't hurt, but it is always a little sore.I must mention that towards the end of riding season, my leg was so painful that just walking was horrid.The lump isn't too visible, but run a hand down my leg and you feel it right away.

So, does anybody else have this?

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
I got a foot peg stuck in my right calf from a first turn pile up in 1979. It's still there like a chunk was bitten off by a dog.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Is there some reason that you can't wear boots?

When I started riding I passed on a lot of the protective gear, but as I got hurt I would see the wisdom.

Your body is trying to tell you something. Buy a pair of boots!

Rod

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
Ive always wore boots. The peg tore through the back of the boot. Boots are huge protection in most cases, I would never consider riding without them!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Back in 2005, and a week before our wedding, we were at Red Bud and my husband went to kick start my 250F in gym shoes... his foot slipped and the kickstarter sliced right through his leg down to the bone. It was pretty gross, but we took off to the hospital, got him stitched up, and he was back to ride the same day. He still has a really nasty purple scar from it, and the fat and tissue never really grew back, so it's just a big dent in his leg.

Although I must say, I don't think he's kick started a bike without a MX boot since.... good learning experience I guess.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
250girl said:
I ride without boots
I think I know hov to cure your problem. I also know 2 different people whose foot has slipped off of a peg and created a long term memory on their shins (much more than a bruise). One of these guys was wearing the minimum ankle protection (combat boots). If you aren't wearing proper MX boots, then you are asking for bruised and scarred shins. Maybe you'll even catch a sprained ankle from a harsh landing one day.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I have a pair of boots, but they are about three sizes too big and I can barely shift and brake in them.The reason I am not getting any is that my parents think they are too expensive, and that I am just a trail rider, not a racer.My mom tells me that if it is such a danger, don't go out of 1st gear. Arguing is pointless. I wear a womens 9/10, depending on the brand.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That first couple of years, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, when I rode without boots did lifelong damage. Never broke them fortunately. But the bumps and bruises add up. Now, the stairs and cold damp weather, and this post remind me, I should have had mx boots! That first pair of hi points with the steel shin guards was awesome!

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Why don't you sell your boots that are 3 sizes too big, and take a look on here, or other moto boards, for some used boots at a good price. Heck even some new low end boots are around $100, maybe less if you find them on closeout. The $100 investment is well worth it, I would never ride without moto boots, not even around my backyard.

Here are a couple of boot threads from here, assuming you would need a mens 7 or 8:

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=158291&highlight=boots

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=160151&highlight=boots

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=152950&highlight=boots

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
My daughter is waving the new motosport book at me with some brand new thors for 100 dollars. How aboot it! And yes, sell them clod hoppers, they are dangerous in their own aspect. Last I checked, 100 dollars for womens foot wear is cheap!

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
250girl said:
The reason I am not getting any is that my parents think they are too expensive, and that I am just a trail rider, not a racer.My mom tells me that if it is such a danger, don't go out of 1st gear..

That seems odd to me....

I love my kids, and want to keep them alive and well. I argue with them that they should be wearing more gear.

If I was you I would check to see if your parents have taken out a really big life insurance policy on you!

Seriously, though: If you can't afford to buy a pair ask around, someone might have an old pair that would fit you.

Rod

Apr 30, 2007
250girl said:
I wear a womens 9/10, depending on the brand.

I have a used pair of Alpinestars (not totally sure what tech) that are too large for me. But I believe they would be a bit small as they are a men's 7. Otherwise, I'd send them off with a little help with shipping costs...

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
rmc_olderthandirt said:
If I was you I would check to see if your parents have taken out a really big life insurance policy on you

Rod

LOL, sometimes I wonder.....

No, my parents do love me, they just think that my money should be spent on better things, like insurance and gas for that gas guzzling tank of a vehicle, or cough up some hay money for that old horse of mine. My mom bought a dirtbike a few years back, and she never rode with boots, and neither did my dad.But Mom hasn't ridden with me for a few years, and if she saw how I ride now she would have a coronary.They just don't think that boots are that terribly important. As a gift my dad did buy me a used pair of alpinestars, but they turned out way too big.

justalonewolf, My alpinestars tech 6's are a mens 9 ,and they are way too big, i think a 7 would be perfect. How much do yo uwant for them, and could you find out what tech they are?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2007
250girl said:
justalonewolf, My alpinestars tech 6's are a mens 9 ,and they are way too big, i think a 7 would be perfect. How much do yo uwant for them, and could you find out what tech they are?

I'm trying to find out shipping costs for a package that size. That's all I'd ask.

Can I get a city/zipcode or address? (use the email function) to get it to me, and I'll stop by the local post office to see...

ebony dream

Mar 2, 2008
i think thats why they make protective gear for that reason and many others...to protect ur body from injuries...not only from the kick start but anything else that wants to fly ur legs way..arms way ...heads way...boots are a good investment!

SIXSIXZERO

Mar 10, 2008
its simple, wear protective gear. its sad to say, but alot of people have to sustain a serious injury BEFORE they invest in safty gear. WRONG! the stuff is designed mto KEEP YOU FROM GETTING HURT. the tennis shoe thing is a very bad idea. i GUARANTEE that you will break your leg or ankle if you keep it up. i know the stuffs expensive ( i wear about 1500-2000 worth of gear when i ride) but its better than having serious injuries that cost boatloads in medicall costs, not to mention your not riding for months at a time. ride safe.

Red 250

Mar 31, 2008
I totally agree with most people here, buy the right gear from the start. I can tell you by personal experience. I rode without boots the first week I had my bike I crashed and messed up my shin big time.. The next week I bought some new boots... I have of coarse crashed since and my boots took the punishment like they are designed to do.. Yes it cost money to have the right equipment but it costs more not too........... Red 250

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Shin scars:
I automatically assume that anyone riding a dirt bike would already be wearing boots. I have no shin scars from M/C riding. However they ARE all gnarled up from my old BMX days. Never broke any bones on a bicycle, but they are road rash/scab producers! You can still see some of the evidence of my BMX mishaps, and that was like 35-40 years ago.......

Top Bottom