JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Cool pics. :cool: I think "wheel" would look pretty good in my living room. "Rear fender" is a good shot too.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
Thank you, a lot of people have been telling me that I need to sell my work, to magazines or just to people. I don't think I'm that good yet, but I'm working on it.

I am going to study photography in college next year and see just what I can do! I would like to make a little money at it.

But for now you all get to see my work for free! ;)

Lee W.

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
My friend Geoff makes an excellent living as a commercial photographer. It's a very lucrative gig. I've done a lot of work with him, and I've actually been in a few ad campaigns. He's one of those guys that loves to get up and go to work in the morning. I hate him. :debil:

Check into it. Even a half-assed photographer can make some serious clack.

LWilson250

Jan 1, 2001
I am very very VERY lucky, my neighbor down the street is a pro photographer. I can learn the biz from him, he know just about everything. This summer I'll be working hard, I'll post more photos as I get them.

Maybe someday I'll get my photos in a magazine.

Lee W.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I am a little bit of a photo nut and my favorites are "looking down", "rear fender", and wheel. I think wheel looks a little like an omonus space station. Very nice stuff. I liked the picks I mentioned because at first, they don't reveal what they really are. They also have part of the bike in so close it is out of focus and indecernable. Good eye.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by LWilson250

Maybe someday I'll get my photos in a magazine.

Lee W.

This is not as hard to do as you think. Cycle News will print just about anything. I've had two articles and two photos published in Cycle News in the Regional/Local events section of the mag.

Call or e-mail cyclenews and tell them that you would like the information about submitting articles and race results. They will send you a packet that tells you what kind of photos and what format they need to be in. They tell you how they want the article written, how to submit race results and so on.

It's really a lot of work. I was writing articles about races that I was actually racing in. Fortunately for me, I knew all of the guys who had a chance to win, so what I would do is shoot one roll of film on the day before the race on the practice trail with the top 5 guys. Then, I would send one of my cameras out with a friend and tell them to shoot a whole roll of anyone who might win. The saturday shoot just allowed me to be sure that I had a picture of the winner that would be usable.

Your article will not be as important to CN if you submit without pics. I always sent 3-4 usable pics with captions that way, they could make the coverage of my events as big or small as they wanted to. They ended up running 1 photo with 3/4 of a page of print for the two articles that I submitted.

Like I said, it is a lot of work to do especially after you've just ridden an Enduro or HS and all you want to do is lay on the ground and moan. I interviewed the top guys for quotes on the Monday after the event via the phone. There's a lot of leg work to be done before, during, at, and after the event. CN is on a short turn around with a Monday deadline. The sooner you can get your stuff there the better.

If you want to read the articles that I submitted, let me know, and i'll e-mail them to you so you can see what they are like. It's kinda cool to see your work printed in a large mag like CN. If I had time, I would pursue Moto-journalism on the side.

Good luck.

Top Bottom