JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Way out here in Texas is a private riding area on the Red River, which forms the boundary with Oklahoma. This place is known as Muenster. It has just about the finest 2,500 acres or so of riding anywhere in the country, with tight woods, sandy creek bottoms, rocky hills--a little bit of everything. Some trails are easy, perfect for beginners, some are more difficult, and some are just plain brutal. But the nastiest, most infamous section of Muenster is known as Bill's Woods. It slumbers restlessly behind a locked iron gate, but occasionally some foolhardy soul sneaks in past the gate, unable to resist its siren song. Most of them meet with misfortune. Bill's Woods has a reputation as one of the gnarliest sections anywhere, with steep, rocky hills, deep gullies, super-tight trees. A trip through Bill's Woods is a gut-wrenching, exhausting ordeal, a body crushing, bike breaking struggle from start to finish, with nowhere to rest. Only a fool goes into Bill's Woods, they say.

The old-timers say that Bill's Woods were named for an unfortunate Honda rider named Bill Something-or-other, a slightly overweight, pasty-faced accountant from somewhere up North, who rode into those woods one chilly afternoon, but never rode out. They say that on that cold, gray afternoon, as the day was nearly spent, Bill, ignoring his buddies' advice, fired up his XL 650, and headed straight into those dark woods for one last ride, turn signals and all.

When night fell, and Bill still hadn't returned to the truck, his buddies quickly ate his lunch and drank his share of the beer, and went out to look for him. They searched and they searched, all night long, with only infrequent breaks to buy several more cases of beer, but they never found him. Twice, they thought they heard the sound of a large, unwieldy four-stroke being kicked and kicked but never starting, along with low moans and curses. And once, they thought they saw a dim headlight back in the trees, faintly glimmering in the dark, then passing. But try though they might, they could never get any closer to Bill, or whoever it was. :eek:

They thought that his XL 650 might have fallen into one of the many deep gorges or crevasses and plunged all the way to the Earth's core, exploding like a heavy, piglike, ill-handling meteor in the fiery furnace at the planet's center. Or, they thought, he may have started a rockslide trying to climb one of the many boulder-studded hills, a rockslide that buried him and his huge, massively heavy tank of a bike without a trace.

At any rate, Bill was gone, so they loaded their bikes and sadly drove home--sadly, because they were out of beer. They may even have missed Bill a little, too. :ugg:

Bill never did turn up at home, and nobody ever heard from him again. There are those who say he left that porky Honda lying in a ditch and walked out of the woods, and that he just kept on walking to California, where he gave up motorcycles and took up rock climbing, or some other fruity sport like that. :think

There are others who say that Bill never really did go into those woods at all, that he took one look at the horrible, nasty trails up those hills and through those rocks; that he took one look at them and headed down the highway instead, seeking a new life as a motorcycle nomad, like Bronson, who came then, as you know.

But there are still others who say that he did indeed go into those woods, and that he never came out; who say that sometimes, if you find yourself in Bill's Woods just as the sun goes down, when the light is just dying, and the wind sighs through the trees like a lost soul, sometimes you can still see that dim headlight wandering through those dark trees, and hear the sound of a fat man on an underpowered, freakishly heavy garbage scow of a four-stroke struggling eternally to get out of those woods.

Now, you may think I'm just telling stories, or you may think that I'm a manic-depressive, borderline schizophrenic with paranoid delusions and several personality disorders, like that quack of a shrink said (oh, he'll pay; don't think he won't pay); but I've been to those woods, and I've seen that strange light. I've heard those low moans and curses, back in the woods, so faint that you doubt yourself as soon as they're gone. But I heard what I heard, and I seen what I seen. And my advice to you, is stay away from Bill's Woods. :scream: :p

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Interesting story! :)

I live in Illinois, but I've ridden in Muenster a couple of times, actually three or four,with a buddy of mine who lives in Lawton, Oklahoma, Danny Ware. It is an awesome place to ride, no doubt, and I'd like to get down there sometime this winter again when it's too cold and wet to ride here. Bill's Woods sounds familiar, I think my friend Ware has taken me through there! :scream:

Nice story.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Great story, JMD! Worth clipping and reading at the next spodefest bonfire.

:think

Uh...it is a story, isn't it?? :eek:

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
The last time I was in Meunster I hooked up with a couple of guys (XRBoy & another guy on a KDX whose handle I can't remeber...if you read this give me a holler!). The KDX rider told me the story behind Bill's Woods, but alas, we never got to enter due to the dastardly iron gate!!! The next time I venture down there, the 520 & I WILL breach the gates of Hell and explore the nether regions known as Bill's. No GPS, no cell phone, no flares, and no beer!!! Just Katoom, myself and the ghost of Bill.......I will finish my memoirs and be given the lasst rites prior.
"Nuthin' like the taste of fresh roost in the mornin'!"
:o

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by LoriKTM

Uh...it is a story, isn't it?? :eek:

You may call it a story now, but come on down, and take a ride through Bill's Woods yourself. You might be the next victim, er, uh, friend that Bill makes, but us smart Texans have nothing but respect for those few long miles of, dare I say it...BILL'S WOODS!!!!

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I'll be up there Friday afternoon and Saturday, but I'm not sure I can muster the courage to tackle those dark woods, even if the rusty iron gate yawns wide, beckoning to their destruction all reckless enough to enter.

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
this story is hogwash - bill was NOT an accountant. as a matter of fact, i know bill. he actually did go into those woods and he did come back out again, but legend has it he's never been the same since. other than the eye makeup he wears on trail rides, bill actually appears to be a fairly normal guy. the truth, though, is that he's a sick, sick individual. tell him you think his namesake is tight and tough and he just laughs and says it's easy compared to what it was a back in the day. he's twisted, and watching riders drag themselves out of bill's woods is one of his greatest pleasures to this day.

Trailgage

Jul 14, 2001
It pleases me greatly to see people talking about Bill's woods. It is a tough section, we intended it to be, so please don't bring beginners and riders with low levels of skill and endurance into our woods. They will not enjoy it and the therapry they will need to recover is very expensive. If I can get permission from Louis and Rebecca, I may lead a few tours through Bill's woods this Saturday and or Sunday. Please do not go in there without permission or alone. I've been working in that section for many years and I don't go in there alone.:cool:

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
i agree! for those not convinced, let me just put it this way: the fastest way through some of those sections is to disassemble your motorcycle and carry it through one piece at a time, then put it back together on the other side. i swear, i dropped a circlip in there somewhere...

wp.

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Bills Woods is no place for a new rider, or even most "C" riders who aren't sandbaggin. I wouldn't even venture to say it's a place to break-in a new bike. The last time I went through there, for only a stint to let the others see what their getting themsevles into, some unfortunate soul had his kickstarter in his pocket off of his new YZ125. I've been through there them woods a few times and never is the maddness the same. What's funny is that everytime I go down there, I see some group coming out and down the river, hauling as fast as possible to get away. My most memorable day is when we a had a overheating CR125 in the group, the sun was getting low, and heard thunder in the horizon. :scream: :scream: :scream:

MTRIDER

Aug 20, 2000
WFOCRUSTY !!

HEY MAN when we gonna go riding again ?? so XRboy can run you over agina !!! eheh anyway Im out for another 4 weeks until my bones heal...drop me an email l8r

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
Hey MTRider! Yeah, that was a hell of a way to break in a new bike!!! What happened to you? Which bone(s) did you break? I'm going to Okla next week on business and plan on getting some time in at Little Sahara. We've also got a ride going on at White Rock (Ark.) this weekend....too bad you guys can't make it. It should be a blast. I'll let you know when I'm heading that way again! Heal up up and say howdy to XRboy!:confused:

janet

Nov 26, 2001
So my dad wears eyeliner now?!

WOW!! I wonder where they got that accountant part. Well heres the story coming from someone who was here. I grew up out there as a matter of fact walking along side of my dad and the rest of our family marking those trails on some VERY hot summer days. Dad gets all of the credit for sure because he started that section long ago and we just sorta tagged along for the ride somewhere along the way. Hope you guys get the chance to meet my dad. He's pretty cool but I wouldn't recommend going out in those woods with him after that eyeliner crack or there might just be some spooky ghost lurking along out there after all. hehe.;) Oh yeah and ya better watch who's daddy you're talking about there. :p

wfocrusty

Nov 2, 2001
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!

Janet is the spawn of the devil!!!!! I didn't understand until she said it was her DADDY.....and she's from Seattle, WA!!!! She is the daughter of BILL.......BILL GATES!!!! It's all a plot to take over our computers and destroy the forum!!!! I bet you mix bean oil and synthetic together....don't you Janet????:debil:

Texas

May 30, 2000
Guys, They are not lying about the stuff being tight and tight .... and more tight.... Well, words can not describe what this C rider went through.... I had the privilege of getting the personal tour from Bill "The Demented" himself. He did ask me if I wanted to take the amateur course. Of Course I told him hell no! give me the gnarliest stuff you got... Man was I in a for a surprise......... I had no idea that you could do that with a bike...... Boulders in the path, Hills with trees on both sides, little itty bitty ledges that you ride with trees that made you lean the wrong way to get down the edge of a 30ft drop off. I swear that there were sometimes when I pulled up to bill (he was waiting on me of course) That his eyes were red and I kept hearing this evil chuckle echoing through the trees over the sound of that large thumper he rode..... Then he would disappear over the edge of another drop off or around a tree section. By the time you thought you were done, you would find out that you were not to the gnarly stuff yet... 11 miles of pure hell.... :confused: I LOVED every minute of it.... Too bad I didn't have the helmet cam on... :ugg: I can tell you this. If you like tight and technical you have to ride Bill's woods. BTW It was starting to get dark when we were out there. It was getting spooky being out there alone with Bill. :scream:

Janet, Good Luck and grats on the 16th of Dec. Your dad is one of the greatest guys I know. ;)

C411 TORO

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Didn't think you could Trial ride a YZ huh? Many helmet cams have become casualties of those woods. Gotta love it!

Jun 14, 1999
Cool story....in fact it sounds challenging enough that i want to try it out. :cool:

One problem with the story though...when did those big ol portly XR650L's grow a kick starter? Theyre electric start only dont'cha know? ;)

Just funning with you...pretty cool story, thanks for sharing it.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Thanks, Vincent. No kickstarter? No wonder he couldn't get it to fire by kicking it over!

My sons and I have made a few trips to Alamo to ride the Red Sands. We always camped at the deserted rock quarry about four miles south of Red Sands. Great desert riding out there. Next time, I think we'll try Cloudcroft first, then drop down into the desert.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Janet, I've heard of you before. My dad is Mike Looney, I'm sure you remember him, ex-RRDR member who was good friends with your dad back in the day. I, too, have met Bill on a number of occasions, and there could not be a nicer guy. I think that underneath though, he must be some kind of sick sadist. lol.

Top Bottom