Thumpertalk.com

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
It seems to me that anymore our Thumper forum has become nothing more than a place to post a question, and more than likely the response is "go to thumpertalk.com and check it out". We have a perfectly good forum here on DRN and often enough the person that refered the (poster) to thumertalk probably could have answered the original question to start with. Dont get me wrong. I am not flaming thumpertalk. Its really about the people who hang out in our thumper forum........ :ugg:

jpuetz

May 2, 2001
I usually get all my 426 info from there. I can go through a forum full of info that is specifically for my bike. And any new post are 90% of the time about the bike or how to ride it. I like to read about the bikes and how to ride them. I get tired of the "what's your favorite color" or "this makes me mad does it make you mad" post. My time is limited to look up bike info so I don't liket to weed through alot to get to it. Just my opinion, don't start raggin' on me, you asked the question.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I don’t spend much time at either site any more. Historically, I found that Thumpertalk usually suited my needs a little better due to the fact that it was model specific. ThumperCentral tended to be a little “over moderated” at times, whereas Thumpertalk is the other extreme. Sometimes you have to click through seemingly endless BS to find something substantive. Of course, I can only speak for the YZ/WR250F section.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by BadgerMan
ThumperCentral tended to be a little “over moderated” at times,

and spinning 180

Originally posted by jpuetz
I get tired of the "what's your favorite color" or "this makes me mad does it make you mad" post. My time is limited to look up bike info so I don't liket to weed through alot to get to it. .

Seems I can't find a way to please everyone. :moon:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Rich,

I think individuals either hesitate to post their two cents or they quit posting their two cents because they are afraid they will get one of these :silly: or one of those :moon: . On the other hand, if you (Rich) were to open up the flood gates, you will eventually have the “Goat Rodeo” that Thumpertalk has become. Nope, I would not want your job.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I think its acceptable for people to advise others to check out different boards. Like with the XR650, I don't believe that many people at DRN own them (I could be wrong). So, I think its fine for those who do to direct somebody to a bike-specific site, as well as tossing in their own advice.

But, I guess it is kinda lame when, if somebody asks a question, to immediately just tell them to go to another site.

you will eventually have the “Goat Rodeo” that Thumpertalk has become

I guess I should check out other TT boards besides the 600/650 forum. It stays pretty tame (although it is sort of low-traffic).

Last edited:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I know exactly what you guys are talking about. In fact, there's a great discussion of this on ThumperTalk. Check it out.

jpuetz

May 2, 2001
Originally posted by Rich Rohrich

Seems I can't find a way to please everyone. :moon:

I hope you were never asked to. I'm just answering 380excman's question as I saw that it applied to me, and he would probably like a few honest answers. TT just has more specific info. Of course, you have to go into the forums with the understanding that a good portion of the info is someone's opinion or guess and not a technicians word. But I found the solution to the problem I was having with my 02 426. I was about ready to go back to a 2 stroke.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I hope you were never asked to

Nope, Okie leaves it to us to try and make the right calls.
I'll put DRN's signal/noise up against against anyplace on the NET.

Originally posted by BadgerMan
I think individuals either hesitate to post their two cents or they quit posting their two cents because they are afraid they will get one of these :silly: or one of those :moon:

The people who moan and cry are invariably responsible for parroting bad info or just wasting ASCII. When they stop posting I smile and sleep well. :D Nothing is likely to change that anytime soon.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Am I they, and should I stop? :think:

Ultimately that is your call. The contemplation of one's own contributions and conduct is useful for all of us from time to time.

For the record I really like Thumpertalk (I was one of the first 100 members), and I've watched them go through the same growing pains that DRN has. Everyone is sure they can do it better, but history has shown that only the folks running DRN and TT actually have the stones and the vision to pull it off.

The old saying nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it seems fitting.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
BigBore said
I guess I should check out other TT boards besides the 600/650 forum. It stays pretty tame (although it is sort of low-traffic).
Of course it is! Their Hondas! Low (as in nearly no) maintenance. :D

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You go Rich :)
We've discussed breaking the Thumper forum up, but decided against it. Even if we did, it wouldn't be as specific as thumpertalk. I can hear it now... "there's too many forums, can't find my way around". That "can't please everyone" saying is used a lot amoung the Admins and Mods. We do what we do the best we can. Don't like it? Sue me :aj: . Better yet, Sue Gomer. Or Truespode.

As long as it's not their "staff" and our "staff" sending people to the other boards (spamming)... there's nothing wrong it. Hell, we've got a member here that copies DRN posts (the really good replys/answers) right into db.com, as if he wrote it, lol. What are you gonna do?

Traffic goes both ways, we get a lot of visits via TT. Oh, and if they don't stop growing, pretty soon they'll take some of the heat we have... but keep in mind:

DRN is the Original Evil Empire :p

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
so what is a thumper anyway? i always thought that "thumper" was a cute little name for a cute little bunny rabbit!

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
also known as "motorcycles whose exhaust note sounds like someone with a real bad gas problem"

or, I guess it's just easier to say "four stroke" or "thumper" :p

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
hello, my name is crash and i am a thumpertalk.com referer...hi crash. :aj: i make no apologies and stand here proud. i got in depth info over there from searches and got "out of the box" jetting specs for the specific way i modified my bike and they were right on. i am a believer in specificity in certain areas, but, for pure enjoyment, this is the place for me. there, now everybodys' happy, i like them and i like you. group hug for me. :debil:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
"Thumpers?....we dun need no stinkin' Thumpers!"

Winggggggdingggdinggggggdinggggggggggg! :) (note the tight throttle response)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Whew! I just made it in time. :confused:

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
380EXCman, I thought you were done with thumpers and back to the land of winnggggggdingdingdings?
Oh I am.

But I still enjoy the Thumper forum. Actually its usually the second forum I visit right after the Euro bike forum at each log on. I dont know, like I said its really nothing against Thumpertalk. If someone asked a question in the Euro bike forum about KTM's and I knew the answer I would just give it to them. If I didnt I wouldnt send them to KTMtalk.com just because I know they could get the anwer there. I would just let the post sit. I know someone with the right answer is gonna help them. Heck the same people surf both places anyway. Im sure its the same with the 4-stroke forum as well....

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by Jaybird
"Thumpers?....we dun need no stinkin' Thumpers!"

Winggggggdingggdinggggggdinggggggggggg! :) (note the tight throttle response)
Fresh top-end Jaybird? You're going to need it at the DW02 challenge. :moon:

Top Bottom