Tie Down Pull Test, or Another Type of Yank

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
So the wife decided not to go shopping Sat. morning, sleeping in instead, and I make the mistake of taking her car, leaving my pickup home for abuse, as you will soon see.

As I pull in home full of groceries she’s there with my pickup yanking out the overgrown margarite bushes in the front yard, and using my good tie downs to boot! Yeow! I figured no sense in getting into a verbal wrestling match over misuse of my fine equipment; at a minimum saying if she breaks it she buys it, and move on to unload and put away the groceries, not wanting any part of this mess.

She shortly comes inside and asks for help, and I say “no, not by misusing my stuff – no way”. Her usual tactics of pressing when I say “no” with the “paaaaalllllllleeeeeezzzzzze” worked; me figuring I can get her back after we shower up. He he.

Enter the hero for the damsel in distress.

Looking for sacrificial straps I find my old (and I mean old; used these on my former TT350) Ancras, up ‘til lassoing this one-big bugger of a bush. “Snap!” as it gave it’s last breath by slapping the pickup’s tailgate, dropping lifeless onto the driveway. So much for maxing-out the 800lb tensile strength these are said to withstand.

I then took my trusty shovel to the roots, and “snap!” again: there goes my faithful premium Craftsman point-tip shovel, which has served me well for 20 years. That hurt – think I’m going to cry. Bo hoo. Though I knew it would give someday. Oh well. So off to Sears and they comment on how old the markings were; the cashier said he was going to have it framed!

On the way back I bought a tow strap at Preppy Boys just in case.

When waking this morning the first thing I hear, in a pleasant tone: “when ya gonna pull out that last bush? I wanna watch…”

The drama ended without any so much as a climax (other than after yesterday’s showering; he he he) with my usual shoveling skills, attacking the roots of that last bush; no need for the tow strap.

Moral of the story: when wifey gets these wild ideas, you must really stay on your toes, or your tools will get used: some to misuse, moreover other tools to what they were intended to, eh?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I find that my wife has absolutely no business touching any of my tools (she gave them to me so they're mine), she simply doesn't know how to use them, and I can't stand seeing the abuse. And the last time I came home and found that she had taken my truck out for a drive, I blew up. If she wanted to drive it, she shouldn't have given it to ME for Christmas.

At least she's scared to ride the KX250;

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
so you guys married women like the one I had come to the hardware store asking for a wrench:

Me: "What size would you like, ma'am?"

her: "A real big one"

Me: "A combination wrench? An adjustable wrench? What type would you like?"

her: "I don't really care, as long as its big. I'm going to use it for a hammer."

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Fuff! Why use a tool when you can get hubby to do it...

Here's one: my oldest son. He came by a few weeks ago to do the same: not only to use my tools and garage but a father's willingness to help.

So he's under his Beamer or however you youngsters call them, and he's pounding away. I see my hammers on my workbench and decide to take a look at what's up and waht he's using and..."haaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy: DON"T use my rachet as a hammer! Bendejo!" I say, and it reminds me of why I used to lock up my tool box when he lived with us. Thing is he leared how to grind off the latch some time ago...so well that I did not know it until some months had passed. Needless to say he owns that tool box today.

Mophuka

Jan 14, 2006
nothing gets me more upset than seeing the wife using my tools. for one thing she never uses them right. I never knew that a screw driver was called a 2 and a phillips is called a 4. So everytime she needs a screwdriver I have to ask her if she needs a 2 or 4. She doesn't understand me when I ask " phillips or regular". And the tools never get put back in the right place.. But let me use something of hers and not put it back, watch out!!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I let me wife use any tool she wants. If they get broken I get to replace them. Sure use that 1/2" ratchet as a hammer I don't care, I'll replace it because it is now "broken" since it's a hammer :)

Mophuka

Jan 14, 2006
Patman said:
I let me wife use any tool she wants. If they get broken I get to replace them. Sure use that 1/2" ratchet as a hammer I don't care, I'll replace it because it is now "broken" since it's a hammer :)

hahahah,, never thought of it that way...

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
my wife refers to screwdrivers as "+" and "-" plus being the phillips and minus being the slot. hey, whatever works.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I hate to admit it, but I did yank a small tree out of the ground with a tie-down attached to my truck.
Please don't hate me.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom