showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
I usually avoid this job altogether and have my local shop do it, but I decided to give it a try myself, but I have a couple of questions.
First, it seems that in one area of the tire, about a section 3 inches long, the tire beads are resting to far inside the valley of the rim.This is about 45 degrees from the rim lock. They don't "pop" out when the correst tube pressure is applied. Do I try and pry it out towards the outer edge of the rim, with the tire spoons, or do I just over pressure the tire and let the air pressure "pop" it into place?
Second question. Do you guys tighten the rim lock before adding the air to the tube or after? Thanks..:)

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I am also a rookie at changing them but in a pinch at races have done a couple. Be sure to work carefully to avoid pinching the tube
1) you need to over pressurize them tire to get the beads to set- it helps to lube them a bit with soapy water.
2) tighten the rim lock after everything is set.

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
Thanks. I had actually done this once before and had no trouble. For some reason, this tire did not want to "pop" into place. I wasn't sure how much air the tubes could stand without busting, but I managed to finally get it looking right....:)

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
:coocoo:
Tighten the bolt opposite the valve. I have had too many punctures on my bike, probably about 10 last year. the job never seems to get much easier but i would rather spend an hour working on it than pay someone else to fix my bike!

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
RMcommando said:
:coocoo:
Tighten the bolt opposite the valve. I have had too many punctures on my bike, probably about 10 last year. the job never seems to get much easier but i would rather spend an hour working on it than pay someone else to fix my bike!

Cheaper when you pinch as many tubes as I have changing them correctly.........lol

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
It helps to air the tube up a little. You won't be as likely to pinch the tube. Tires are a piece of cake..It does help that I worked on car tires for almost two years. I had my share of lawn mower, ATV, motorycycle, and low profile car tires. I showed my husband how to change them w/out any problems. I can do it a lot easier than I can explain, though!

tony91

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2002
A little trick I picked up on "popping" the tire into place was to do it without the valve in. Works like a charm. Changing a tire is my least favorite thing to do with a motorcycle...that's for sure! :pissed:

showtime586

Mar 28, 2004
MXGirl230 said:
It helps to air the tube up a little. You won't be as likely to pinch the tube. Tires are a piece of cake..It does help that I worked on car tires for almost two years. I had my share of lawn mower, ATV, motorycycle, and low profile car tires. I showed my husband how to change them w/out any problems. I can do it a lot easier than I can explain, though!

I finally got past pinching the tubes.......lol
Changing tubes doesn't really cause me headaches, but I really don't like fooling with tires. Especially, ones with very stiff side walls.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Yeah, those can be a pain...try doing low profile car tires!!

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
awe man, i hate changing my own atv tires. its a PITA. so my dad and i take them to a tire shop and get them to change em' for me.

Top Bottom