enduroxr

Nov 2, 2002
With the bike off the ground, does the rear wheel spin with theclutchy pulled in and the engine running in gear? If the rear doesnt turn(meaning the clutch is totally disengaged), the shifting is really good on my xr400. Recently, the clutch seemed to drag a very slight bit even with the clutch fully in. I changed the outer basket, inner hub,pressure plate bearing and all the plates to OEM brand new(except for the pressure plate). The clutch still seems to drag very slightly. Is it normal? Will changing the pressure plate help? The shiftings abit clunky with the dragging clutch. Anyway I ride my xr on the road alot.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
You may want to experiement with different oils. Try just a basic mineral oil and see if you can tell the difference. I used the Honda oil GN4 and found both clutch and gear shifting very smooth. Some of the synthetics make for harsh gear changing.

It's worth a try.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Depending on the temperature, I would look at the oil.  Cold temperatures change effect the viscosity of the oil until it reaches operating temperatures.  Different oil brands have additives that also effect the shifting characteristics.

enduroxr

Nov 2, 2002
I have noticed what u guys say is true. I usually use motul 100% syn 15/50 or castrol rs4 10/50. Come to think about it, About a year back I tried some good quality mineral 20/50(shell and mobil) and even straight castrol 40w and I didnt haf the problems. Even then the clutch was quite shagged out, the bike shifted perfect and ran quietly. Isit sumting to do wif 'viscouse drag' of syntetic oils? I read on some canadian site that some syntetics cause rough shifting bcos of draggy clutches. Can u guys reccomend a 'good shifting' bike oil?

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Ahh, the great oil debate. :debil:   I'm currently using Yamalube 4R 10W40.  My advice is the same that I have been given.  Use a non-friction modified oil of your liking.  Change your oil frequently and you should have no problems.  Try a Brand X oil and if the shifting problems stop, use it.  If the shifting problems continue, change to Brand Y and so on until you find what works best in the bike and doesn't break your wallet.  I see no problems in less expensive oils IF you change it frequently and it is easier on the wallet. Just my $.02. 

Top Bottom