Transmission bad or is it just clutch plates?

RM125CCF

Apr 27, 2006
Recently i was running my bike very hard dumping the clutch, wheelies, burnouts in the grass and while doing a burnout shifted into second at high rpms and then eventually let out the clutch and it wouldnt go anywhere it was like it was in neutral. i tryed to shift down to first and it went but it still was like a false neutral. i took the clutch cover off and inspected some of the plates. Some of them look fine but a couple of them were worn so bad there was just metal and no friction material. Could this be why the transmission wasn't doing anything?

MX851

Jun 14, 2005
Yes, the worn plates could cause this problem. The clutch plates are very sensitive to the width of the plates, and as the plates wear the clutch pack(all of the plates) get thinner which causes the inner hub not to fully ingage(or in your case not at all) with the outer basket. You said that on some of the friction plates all of the material was gone, so that means it had to go some ware and most likley be the tranmission so your best bet is to tear it down, inspect the transmission components and replace the clutch pack and whatever else that needs to be.

hope that helps

Top Bottom