squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
I hear they've evacuated upwards of around 200,000 people from the Wilkes-Barre area of PA due to flooding.

I hope all is well with everyone in that area.

Check in when you can... :nod:

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
flooding is pretty serious down here, i'm outside philly in the burbs and they evacuated a lot places that are within 10 miles of me because of flooding. It took me 20min to get to work this morning when its 2 miles away because of flooding all over the place. The creeks are insanely high in a lot of areas and peoples yards looks like ponds that have been there for years. It def messed up a lot of areas around my way. I believe NW it is worse as of now but by tonight we should get hit with all the down stream flooding so its suppose to be pretty bad. Anyone in the floods itself be safe!!!

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Theres been alot of flooding around me, i'm not in PA, well i am on wknds, but just not now. I'm right between Binghamton and Albany. Parts of I-88 have been completely washed out. Just about every county around me (including mine) have been in a "state of emergency" since yesterday. There are large portions of roads missing where the blacktop and dirt have completly washed away, just big chunks, gone. You cant even hardly see any feilds either, they're just completely covered in water. Its pretty cool, in a way. Something like this is just plain crazy. I feel really bad for those who have been hit hard though. Lots and lots of evacuations, and plenty of trailers that are almost flaoting. I know PA got hit real hard. My bf's parents live down there, around Sayre. I haven't gotten a chance to call 'em up yet, but I'm hoping its not too bad. After this, I can't imangine what Hurricane Katrine victims went through..... Well, at least they lived in a flood zone I guess. Speaking of that, I dont mean to rant, really I dont, but my freind Jenn just bought a house with her boyfreind. They went to purchase house insurance a couple of weeks ago. They got homeowners insurance and it included flood insuranace. Jenn complained to no end, she was actaully mad to have to spend the extra money for something they didn't need. Needless to say, their house is full of water, up to the first story. Her mustang is just about flaoting and everything in the basment needs replacing. It hasn't even been pumped out yet, they had to evacuate. I don't know how people can do it. I applaud all of those that have been through all of this.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
We have some record flooding in Binghamton. It's coming over the flood walls in the city and there has been a state of emergency for 2 days now. They closed where I work yesterday and are delaying opening until 10 this morning but i doubt we'll reopen at 10. Yesterday one of the main parking lots was completey flooded. Some of the rivers haven't crested yet, including in the town where I work so it's far from over.

There have been a couple of house explosions and one of them lifted the house off the fondation and sent it floating down the river. The footage was on CNN this morning. A local hospital had to evacuate everyone and won't reopen for at least a week.

I-88 at one of the Unadilla exist washed out and 2 tractor trailers dropped into the 25 foot deep hole, killing both the drivers. Like Pyro said, roads are washed out all over the place and national guard helecopters are flying all the time evacuating stranded people.

It hasn't been this bad since Agnes hit in '72, even then the water wasn't so high.

I live on top of a big hill so I'm OK. The sun came out yesterday and the weather was great and it felt weird having to leave work early to sit on the deck and relax.

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I was gonna go down to PA this weekend. I usually take I-88 to R17 ( or future I-86) but I dont see that happening. I-88 is closed from Oneonta to Binghamton and R7, which runs parallel with it runs right through Unadilla, which is extremely flooded due to the opening of the dam....... Definitly a change of pace I guess.....

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I went riding yesterday. There was some water in spots, but conditions were awesome and not once did it rain during my ride.

motoB

Mar 6, 2002
Glad to hear poeple are staying safe, I am suppose to fly into Albany Weds. for a wedding in Roscoe. I have never been to NY and was wondering if I should even try to go.

Any info would help since I dont even know what route I will be taking.

Thanks and send some of that water my way in Arid-zona

Brian

KDXruss

Damn Yankees
Jul 11, 2004
motoB said:
Glad to hear poeple are staying safe, I am suppose to fly into Albany Weds. for a wedding in Roscoe. I have never been to NY and was wondering if I should even try to go.

Any info would help since I dont even know what route I will be taking.

Thanks and send some of that water my way in Arid-zona

Brian
You will be fine, pretty much back to normal here in the capital district.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I live close to the Delaware, but I'm on much higher ground. However, my commute has been impacted as I have to travel accross the Riegelsville bridge, which has been closed.

When I went to work Wednesday morning, the residents of Riegelsville knew it was comming before the "official" word was out. The entire town was at the bridge at 7AM looking at the river.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Here are some pictures of I-88 at the Unadilla exit where 2 tractor trailers died. It's a freaking huge hole!!!

Attachments

• I-88 washout-1-small.jpg
    I-88 washout-1-small.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 124
  • I-88 washout-2-small.jpg
    I-88 washout-2-small.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 125

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Here's a picture of a road bike that was found by the road crew that started to repair the hole. Just the fender is sticking out. The rider is OK.

Attachments

• drowned bike.jpg
    drowned bike.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 141

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Oh my goodness....that's so scary!

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
hey that picture of the bike in the water looks like Paragon did. Not near as bad, but where you cross the stream at the bottom of valley road, the road washed out, and the pipe that ran under it was moved by the current. They still had some trails closed as of yesterday, until they can get out and do repairs, but most of them have been reopened. And the single track was in great shape, with a few deep mud holes in the middle to slow you down.

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
We had the Schuykill get to about 1/4 mile away. The flooding here wasn't near as bad as is '72. Thankfully the river crested lower that expected. Apperently in '72 the water got just a couple of hundred feet from my house. The old timers by me said you could see houses floating by from our front porch! :yikes:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom