salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Need opinions from the respected MI trail riders.

My son will turn 13 in May, weighs 90 lbs, and is 4'11". Currently riding a Suz DS80 - 2 stroke.

He is average trail rider with ZERO plans on racing MX; but, is looking forward to trying the family series enduros this year. The DS80 was a liability for most of the 2005 season because of its weak suspension. Most of the time he cruises on the trails staying in one gear (2nd or 3rd), using the brakes sometimes; but, mostly relying on engine braking. He typically rides about 40 miles before calling it a day.

TTR125L or KX100? Please share your experiences and opinons.
Thank you. Scott

SGJ_Johansen

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 28, 2004
I vote for the KX100 My son is 13 and about 5'3 and 115lbs he was coming of a Suzuki JR80 with was getting to small for him bike size and suspension wise. I also have a 16 year old daughter that rides so I needed bikes for both of them. I got a pair of KX100's plenty of power and some excitment. Both of my kids are just average riders. Both love their bikes.

Brian

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
I Have To Go With Mike On This One, Kx 100's Like To Be On The Pipe, Unless The Jetting Is Spot On You Will Be Buying Stock In Ngk. For Trail Riding The Yamaha Is The Way To Go. As His Skills Progress There Are Plenty Of Hop Up Goodies Available And Dad Also Has A Sweet Pit Bike To Cruise Around On. Just My .02 Worth.

SGJ_Johansen

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 28, 2004
Hmmm getting out voted here:) There is a lot to be said about not having to mix gas. Plugs have not been a issue here yet, course they have not riden them up north with dad yet.

Brian

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Well I dont own either bike. But know that the TTR125 is a good bike. lots of aftermarket parts for it out there. And like others hit on its pretty much maintance free. Change the oil and clean the air filter and it will be happy for years. That leaves more $ for goodies for pops bike. That was my rational for getting a TTR90 over a KTM65. Them 65's are great bikes but can be expensive in the mainentace department. Id rather ride with him than work on the bike a lot.

One thing to keep an eye on for the 125 is the choke plunger in the carb. It gets gumed up in there. It has to be take out from time to time to clean / oil it up otherwide it will sieze in the carb.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
The KX has a powervalve and makes a good woods bike really. It handles well and has good suspension. He will learn much quicker on that bike IMHO. Seat height will be the only question.

crazyrydermx

Feb 4, 2006
Take this from an expert :) I owned BOTH!!!
I would suggest the KX 100. There are so many easy ways to convert it to a trail bike, and the TTR just doesn't have the power. The KX100 has almost 3 times the horsepower. The suspension travel is much greater, as well as ground clearance and overall fun. I had some of my best (and worst) times on that bike. I raced mine, but did trail riding also. I believe that the KX is a much better bike in many ways. Believe me, my stepmom got it after I did and fully converted it to a trail bike for less than $150! :cool:
Just say :nod: and you will love it!!!

D.LEATHERS

Jun 28, 2002
Looks Like A Toss Up As Far As Opinion's Go. I Still Think The Yamaha Is The Way To Go Or Any Other 4 Stroke For This Application. I Love 2 Strokes And Am Probably Going To Die Riding One. But For Kids Learning To Ride You Can't Beat A Smooth Relible 4 Stroke. My Son Rode And Raced A Kx100, It Was A Great Bike And Served Us Well, As A Matter Of Fact It Is Still Is Running Around Jackpine With Another Club Member's Kid Riding It And As Fred Stated It Does Have A Powervalve, And Great Suspension And Awesome Power, But For Most Kids It Is Toooo Much!!! If We Were Talking Racing Different Story. Still My .02 Worth

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I went with TTR because you said he doesn't have any racing aspirations, and sounds like he just likes to ride around a little bit each day. If he wants any more than that, I'd swing toward the KX100. It's be great if you could arrange a test ride one both for him, especially from the guys here that have them.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If your son had no experience, I would say TTR, but instead, I recall reading something about wanting a suspension under the bike. The TTR suspension is not impressive. Get the KX, make sure to premix with plenty of oil, minimum of 40:1, maybe even 32:1. And get the jetting straight. Not only will he be happy now, but he will still be happy when he learns how to make it scream. The TTR will never scream, it won't even keep up with a stock 65, which also has a better suspension.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
TTR Low maintenance user friendly. UN-less he's an advance rider and has all ready mastered slipping the clutch and can ride on the pipe. The KX would be a blast for him. One of the guy's in my CCC riding group. Up graded his son bike last summer. His son is about the same age as yours. They went from a JR80 to a KTM SX80 I think, and the boy wasn't ready for such a large change. His son hardly even rode the new bike. His old bike had the wheels rode off it during the weekends. This kid sleeped in riding boots & gear. About half way thru the summer his dad sold the KTM 80 and picked up a TTR125 the one with the smaller wheels. The kid was back! That TTR never, well all most never shut off that weekend.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I agree one hundred percent. I would much rather see a kid on a bike they are completely comfortable with even though it may be a little under powered or under suspended. I think I read somewhere that the two stoke 100’s where effectively faster than a full size 125 because of the power to weight ratio. Couple that with a short wheel base and a bunch of Michigan sand and you need a pretty talented kid to ride such a bike.

If you go with a TTR, add a good sand tire on the front along with some Heavier BBR fork springs before it is ridden. A RSW fork brace also helps the handling tremendously in the sand.

crazyrydermx

Feb 4, 2006
I guarantee you that if you get him to test ride both bikes, he will not take no for an answer for the KX 100. It will drive you :coocoo: and then you'll go :pissed: and he'll :( and unless you go :nod: then you will hate your life. Believe me, if you do happen to pick the TTR, make sure he doesn't get to ride a more powerful bike. I did that when I had mine, and my dad started to get so :coocoo: because of me. We finally sold it so I could get the KX 100, and it was worth it. I didn't race it at first, and I did a whole lot of hillclimbing and trail stuff so...
Many people have their own opinions on here, but few have ridden both. I have, and have been in a position similar to your son's. Believe me, it would be smart to go with the KX 100

salgeek

Oct 2, 2003
Keep the opinions/observations coming... they are very helpful. :cool:

What manufacturer offers a kickstand for the KX that does not require welding? And does it hold up to someone less than 100lbs. starting the bike while it is on the sidestand?

What is the range on the stock KX gas tank?

thanks again - Scott

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Lean the bars against a tree or wall, also, you can start it on the triangle stand then kick the stand out once it's running. Or hook a tie down to the bar while you start it. I know it's not really what you are looking for, but these things can work, and there's no kick stand to snag brush.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
BadgerMan said:
I agree one hundred percent. I would much rather see a kid on a bike they are completely comfortable with even though it may be a little under powered or under suspended. I think I read somewhere that the two stoke 100’s where effectively faster than a full size 125 because of the power to weight ratio. Couple that with a short wheel base and a bunch of Michigan sand and you need a pretty talented kid to ride such a bike.

I cannot tell you how many times thru the years of selling bikes I have tried to say that EXACT thing to parents standing in my garage looking at both the bikes we are talking about!!
The issue that ALWAYS comes up is "but dad, tommy has a MX bike and I want one".. Normally the kid gets his way because its his bike, BUT, I still preach the same music - GIVE A KID A BIKE HE CAN HANDLE AND HE WILL RIDE THE SOCKS OFF IT!!!!!!
The KX100 has been a favored of mine too because it has the KIPS. It really makes a fun woods bike BUT, for someone who's happy with running 1st and 2nd gear and is enjoying everything about his DR other then its size and its boingers I would have to say - get the TTR.. Do the boinger upgrade and let your son HAVE FUN on his bike!! Not only that, but the TTR's are much easier to resell then the KX's are!!
Soooo, lets say you get him a TTR125 and after a year or a two he/you decide that a MX bike is next up.. Re-sell the TTR, get your money back (unless its shaped like a "U") and go get the KX/CR/YZ/RM - I left out orange to get under the skin of all my riding buddies :laugh: ) Judging by your comments of his skill level and what he enjoys doing - I really think that he would have more fun doing it this way!!!
Woodsy :ride:
Oh - by the way - to get an idea of the POP of one of those little KX's - I had a GOOD running XR250 that a new KX60 (back a few years) I had in inventory ran SIDE BY SIDE with on the pavement thru the gears!! Yeaaaa, they got a serious motor tucked in there!!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
woodsy said:
I had a GOOD running XR250 that a new KX60 (back a few years) I had in inventory ran SIDE BY SIDE with on the pavement thru the gears!!

A street legal KX60? It was street legal wasn't it.........I mean........you were riding it on pavement.........right? ;)

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
BadgerMan said:
A street legal KX60? It was street legal wasn't it.........I mean........you were riding it on pavement.........right? ;)
By golly miss molly I forgot to mention that little tidbit...... Thanks alot TIM :pissed: I will keep that in mind next time your behind me in the mud (if that ever happens :laugh: )...
Lets seeeeeeeeeee, "Rotten Sucker' list... oh yea, there it is over there... Sticky note on top says "Add Tim/Badgerman to list and remove his name from benificiarys list from Lotto winning"... There - always got to keep those little things straight in case something happens.........
NO IT WASNT STREET LEGAL - I hope your happy TIM - ol Woodsy caught with his hand in the cookie jar again :moon:
Woodsy :ride:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
woodsy said:
NO IT WASNT STREET LEGAL - I hope your happy TIM

WELL DOG-GONE-IT........NO I'M NOT HAPPY!

Here I thought you had a KX60 super motard or dual sport hidden away in your garage and I was gonna sweet talk you out of a test ride. :moon:

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
BadgerMan said:
WELL DOG-GONE-IT........NO I'M NOT HAPPY!

Here I thought you had a KX60 super motard or dual sport hidden away in your garage and I was gonna sweet talk you out of a test ride. :moon:

Ive seen his garage. He could have a whole fleet of mini-motards squirled away in there and no one would ever know it :nener:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Watch it Don and leave my squirrels out of it or there may not be any Burnt Squirrel left for you next time you have to spend a night in the woods :rotfl:
And Tim - hope you noticed how fast the other fellers on that list you just got onto woke up.... I guess its true, misery loves company and there cant be anyone more miserable then a person knowing they are on the "not getting part of the 35 million dollar lotto list" :moon: :moon:
BBarel check
Donny check
Timmo' check
making a list ------ checking it twice ------- Santa can just ask Woodsy who's naughty or nice......
Oh yea, I wish I could afford to actually do one of those little KX's up in 'motard form... THAT WOULD BE A HOOT!!!!

Hey, back to reality... I gotta picture I gotta show you guys.. I got a peek at a new breed at the Indy Show.. I am gonna start a new thread to show this puppy off..... You guys are gonna LOVE it!!!!

YZMAN400

Dec 2, 2003
Hey dont forget to add Grumpy ol Huby to the very tippy top of that rotten sucker list.

But of course just as I say that you will never guess what he did the other day......He told me thank you! :coocoo:

Yea he did. And he wasn't even drinking. I got a stone sober thanks outta him..... I about fainted :ohmy:

I, knowing his current living situation and non acess to most of his riding accessories, offered him the use of my YZ if he wanted to hit the trails some weekend or weeknight.

Hey and dont forget YT2 on that list. I think he was the reason for you to start your list in the 1st place :cool:

Oh and I dont need none of your crunchy squirl mister. I pack balony sandwitches remember. :laugh:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
:laugh: Oh thats right - you do pack a lunch dont you.. Hmmmm, maybe I better start being nicer to you................
You gotta KNOW that Hubies name is only preceeded by YT2 and that rascallion Tedster is Numeral Uno in ANY of my books!!!!!!
You know what.. The last couple times I was around Huby he was the same way with me and I KNOW I have been on his BAAADDDDDDDDDDDDD list for years (every since I got him lost up north - he wouldnt speak to me for 6 months over that little ordeal....)... Anyway, I have been thinking that maybe his x was abusing him... Hey - dont laugh - its possible... I have seen men bigger then Huby brought down by littler women then his x.. Maybe she kept him in hand cuffs all night or, worse yet, maybe she said something like "I watched Scott ride and I know he can ride better then you can".. I think maybe we have been wayyyyy to hard on him and we should get together and have a Huby ride night??/
NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lets just enjoy the peace while it lasts!
hahahahahahhaahahahha :laugh: :rotfl:

Top Bottom