scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I am so tired and sore I can barely type. I proved 2 things:

I'm outta shape.

I can't ride well when I'm hungover. (not that I can ride all that well anyway) (thought I better cover that before Elk piped in :moon: )

Left my house @ 4:30AM after going out all night for my wifes B-day. Arrived Just before 7 at Gorman. I've never ridden up there so it was going to be a treat.

Got registerd and went to pass the sound check. Failed :ugg:
I was asked by the ranger to remove 4 disks from my E series pipe. I used the small allen wrench in my pack to take off the end cap . What a work out, as the bolts were siezed in there. Put it back on, retest, Failed again. :think: I was asked to take out 2 more. Back to the allen wrench, 20 minute to start. stripped a nut, used the beat it till it gives method. took the 2 out and put all the bolts back in. I 'm getting serious arm pump, finger pump and we haven't even started yet. I finally passed and went over to the head.

I come out and someone had knocked over my bike on accident and the brake lever had snapped. AAUUUGH: 5 minutes to start. Had one in my pack, changed it in 3 minutes. didn't have time to adjust it, pulled up to the line just as my line was about to go.

The fun part was Eel Tim and I belive Mike from TWMC were all on my line. It's always fun to race with your buddies. Holeshot was there but on a different line.

1st loop was fun. Allthough I never recovered from the hand pump from all the muffler screwing around at the sound check. The special test/ haul a$$ sections were fun, but the break sections were so whooped out it wasn't much of a break.

loop 2 was where the real fun started, those who only did one loop really missed out. Started with a special test section on the track. Got some fun Airtime, yeah baby. After the track, they sent us down some insanely whooped out road (still in the Haul A$$ timed section) Fun! I ended up catching my camel back bite valve on my brake line and pulled back to un hook it. Resulting in the bite valve coming off and water poing down my legs and seat and in my boots. I pull over to fix it and Eel and catches me. Couldn't find th valve, so I folded the hose in half and tucked it into my shoulder strap and take off. about 20 minutes later it comes off and falls down my back soaking my entire back side. I'm trying to grap it while riding and it drenched my left glove. I pull over and dump out the rest of the water and take off. riding 1 handed holding the other glove up to air dry.

The forest trails on the second loop were outstanding I kinda wish we weren't racing so I could enjoy them a little more. I settled into a comfortable pace and wham Imissed a hard left hander and down a cliff I go :scream: Luckly not death defying but simalir to the Phelan sand hill. I get all the way to the bottom. The race course made the left I missed and went back the other direction. My only choce is to haul back up it. Luckly I made it on the first try and continued the rest of the way at a quick but I ve got to be at work tomm. pace.

76 mile race over incredibly rough terrain that I've never seen before. I'm sure I didn't do well but it was fun :thumb:

Thanks Eel for letting us know about it.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Don't really wanna steal your thunder, but I thought the race was just OK. Fast...slow....fast....slow. Stop and wait at each checkpoint for your number to come.......then a 25 minute lunch break.......Then there are all the squids on quads littered all over the race course just play riding.

The ref said they were looking for a new place to run next year. I hope they can pull it together as the ride was fun to just cruise, but not my idea of a race.

The desert stuff is a lot better in my book. WFO till it's over....and you do get a break for about 1 minute while your pit dumps gas and gives you new goggles and a Gatoraid.

At least it paid dez points!!

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Glad you guys came out (Scar and Holeshot). Too bad Holeshot didn't do the 2nd loop ... he did miss out like you said. Bummer that you didn't dig it Unit74 ... obviously the qualifier format isn't for everyone.

Personally I had a great time. I really like Gorman and I like the qualifier format. I'd rather do a bunch of mini-desert races than one long, continuous one. Just a preference ..

The one thing I always forget is how choppy and slippery Gorman is. It becomes especially evident when racing. I think tire choice makes a big difference here (on the slippery hardpack). Anyway, my arms were dead by the end ... barely holding on. My only spill all day was on the last lap of the moto track ... slid out on a sweeper and ate dirt. Made a quick recovery though !!! I didn't get passed much during the race which was cool ... it's a real bear trying to let soemone by up in the forest. Funny though ... the same kid kept blowing by me all day .... like his job was to leave me in the dust. He definitely needs a raise !

I felt pretty good about my specials. I ripped the first few (as well as I was capable of) but got a bit slower in the long forest special. The Gas Gas manhandled me a bit on the singletrack that late in the race and I really need to get my damper mounted. On the last special starting on Badlands I was seriously hurtin'. I had stiffened up the compression just before the special and it was big mistake .... this is how I learn I guess ... it's called the hard way. Yup.

Anyway, the race was a great tour of the different trails available at Gorman and the qualifier is a good way to enjoy the tour. We had an all TWMC row on minute 50 (my minute) which was cool. I also saw plenty of other club members out there on the trail.

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Funny though ... the same kid kept blowing by me all day .... like his job was to leave me in the dust. He definitely needs a raise !

Maybe it was because he was the minute behind you or so, and when you got to the checks, he had to wait while you were already on your way. Then in the specials, he caught up. I don't think it matered what minute you were on when you arrived at the specials....only the checks so he could have made up time in between. I went as slow as I could because I didn't want to have to wait at the checks forever.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
It was in the specials where he was smokin' me ... I think his name was Brett Saunders. I was going as fast as I could in a special and then here he comes .. and would just blow by me ... Hasta la vista, baaby !! :worship:

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
Ohhhhhh........Brett!

Ya, I know him. He's a dez racer and faster than me on my 525!!! The guy absolutely fly's on his 125. He's really good people too. We were out trail riding and got a little lost. Found his camp right before the checkers race this year and bummed a little petrol off him to make it back to the truck. He was totally cool about it and never wanted payment for it. It was the "Good stuff" too, right out of the drum. :)

So I wouldn't worry about him at all. I'm sure he'd give most of the top pro's a run for their money.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Brett's a great kid and yep , he's fast as hell, he always slows down to say hello out on the course, then he's off like a bullet :thumb: :thumb:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
No doubt he was very polite about the fact that I kept getting in his way ... ! :)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Nice report boys! I'm living my fantasies out through you boys right now as I continue the intense training of the new job, but I expect to be on a somewhat
regular schedule very soon!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It was me Scar who pushed over your bike.:moon: And I would never say you can't ride, I would also never say you ride good!:)j/k :)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
The cruise - WFO - cruise - WFO - cruise - WFO - cruise pace of the Qualifier suited my "spurt riding" style fairly well.

I nearly managed to mess up a route check (this, in an event that requires no real timekeeping). I must have had a sign on my helmet that said, "This guy's a doofus, so go easy on him".

I signed up for just 1 loop, because I had my 11 year old with me, and I didn't think it would be good to leave her in the pits for 3 1/2 hours or more (I was in enough trouble for being away for 1 1/2 hours). Great excuse. ;)

The other riders on my minute: a CRF450 rider, a kid on a KX65 and another rider on really beat looking KDX wearing 15 year old moldy gear. The kid on the 65 and the KDX rider smoked me, but I really messed with the CRF rider.

BTW, my 125 passed the sound test at only 86 decibels. :moon:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by holeshot
The cruise - WFO - cruise - WFO - cruise - WFO - cruise pace of the Qualifier suited my "spurt riding" style fairly well.

I signed up for just 1 loop, because I had my 11 year old with me, and I didn't think it would be good to leave her in the pits.

Hmmm...seems to me the TWMC enduros are like that too: go slow - go fast - go slow - go fast - repeat.

I stopped at camp on my travels Sat. afternoon, to look you guys up; after no-see-'um, figured most would show up early Sunday, tho I did chat w/brettr and Eric (Mr. Vixen?) Had I know, I could've arrived the next morning instead, relieved you of parental chores so you could do the 2nd loop (on your 125?)

Unit74

Dec 16, 2001
My wife would have taken her out trail ridning!!! She was just hangin around the pits on her TTR 125 not doing a whole lot and I'm sure she would have loved to head out on some trails.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by the Eel
It was in the specials where he was smokin' me ... I think his name was Brett Saunders.

Yup, Brett is currently No1 in points in the 0-200 class. One fast kid - I gotta move back to Vet, these kids are just too fast and scared of nothing. I got bills to pay!

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by holeshot
and another rider on really beat looking KDX wearing 15 year old moldy gear.

I always see that guy at Gorman. He drives a beat Geo Metro that you'd swear you he lives out of. That's dedication, huh?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I can’t see my name on the results so I must have done less than great. :eek:

I had stroke on the 21st (at 1 AM) which pretty much immobilized my entire right side. I just came back from the hospital and I’m on my way to full recovery. Roost you later. :aj:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Ron,

You were in the loop 1 results you finished 44th out of those only completing 1 loop. 2nd in your class (D 250 S). :thumb:

Good luck onthe recovery, let us know if we can do anything.

I was 176th overall for 2 loops, and 4th in my class of (C 250 vet)

Eel was 102 overall and 3rd in his class (C-open) and I believe the * by his name means he gets a trophy :yeehaw: Nice work.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Holeshot---keep in touch. We're all concerned that you make a quick and complete recovery! And don't feel like you can't come in here just 'cause you're off of the bike for awhile!

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Holeshot - thank god your well enough already to even consider posting !
Take it slow and take care of yourself .... and like Tim said, please let the Crew know if there is anything we can possibly do .... hope you'll be back soon ...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom