Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
Last night we met with State Commisioner of Public Lands Doug Sutherland, the DNR Excutive Director of Policy and Administration Bonnie Bunning, the DNR Director of Communications Todd Meyer, DNR Northwest Region Manager Bill Wallace and key members of his staff.

It appears as though they have noticed that we haven't just bent over and accepted the closure of Walker Valley. Everyone representing the DNR expressed an attitude of cooperation and a willingness to work with the motorized recreational users.

A proposed plan for a partial reopening is currently in the works. More details will be available in a couple of weeks.
:yeehaw:

The DNR and the NMA will be putting out a joint statement in the near future. Additionally, I'll keep you guys post as things develop.

THANK YOU! to T-Rat, Fishhead and everyone else who contacted the DNR. Your efforts made this progress possible. After the meeting Mr. Sutherland said he read every letter and email sent to him, plugged them into his computer, sorted them and was impressed with both the quantity and quality of the comments received.
:thumb:

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
MORE PROGRESS :yeehaw:

Last weekend's work parties were very productive.
More work to do this Saturday and Sunday. Some trail repair still to go and then installing posts and signs marking open and closed trails.

We've been meeting with the DNR at least a couple of times a week since the closure and it looks like they'll let us open up about half the trails soon. Nothing firm yet, but it should happen between Christmas and New Years.

A public hearing was held last night for the capitol improvement grant that the DNR is applying for and everyone providing public comment supported the grant proposal.
:thumb:

If you enjoy playing with shovels or post-hole diggers in the rain, come on out to Walker this weekend. The Skagit Motorcycle Club has put zillions of hours into this, but they are good sports and will gladly let you share in the fun.
:)

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
:yeehaw: :yeehaw:

WALKER VALLEY REOPENS DECEMBER 28!
:yeehaw: :yeehaw:

This is a partial reopening, about half of the trails will be open.
We are working hard to get more trails open as soon as possible.
Unfortunately, due to logging, snow and politics this will not be easy.
I'll keep you up to date as things progress.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Ok! If the weather holds we might have a bit of white stuff on the upper trails the 28th and I am looking forward to that. :thumb:

Anyone know what trails are going to be open?

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
bit of white stuff on the upper trails
I was working on trails Sunday and there was zero snow, but I saw DNR pictures from Monday that showed snow from B-1000 road / Judy's grade trail intersection and above. Looked too warm and most of it's probably melted away.

Anyone know what trails are going to be open?
I got the map with the highlighter markings sitting right here. It's not real straightforward, bit of this, bit of that, but here's some of the highlights.
The NMA and Skagit club are having maps signage printed and will be posted at the trailhead.

Jam trail - open
Walker Valley trail - open
Bigfoot trail - open
Jeep trail - open
Pat's trail - totally destroyed by logging
North trail - closed for logging
Muddled Meandering - short lower portion open, upper destroyed by logging
Poop Chute - open
Second Chance - open
Jeep Cross - open
Short Timers trail - open
Old Grade trail - open
Judy's Grade trail- closed
Swamp Grade trail - closed
Odyssey trail - closed, logging
Mobius trail - closed, logging
Centenial trail - closed
Bugaboo trail - closed
Coyote trail - open
Delmar's Downhill - open
Rock Pit trail - open
Cavanaugh Loop trail - closed
I-5 trail - closed
Scratch n Sniff trail - closed
Old Toad trail - closed
Exspressway trail - closed

Almost all of the roads are open too.

We hope to get more trails open in a couple of months and everything by April first (except what's obliterated by logging).
We installed posts last weekend, marking the closed trails, please don't ride on them for now, it'll just get the whole place shut down. The open trails are marked with little diamond signs, Tahuya style.

The Skagit Motorcycle Club and the NMA provided the labor and paid for all the signage to make this possible.

Happy trails
Tod

Last edited:

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
Got this today:

NEWS RELEASE No. 02-121
December 26, 2002

"Winterized Trail" in Walker Valley Re-opens December 28
Volunteers help DNR protect streams, environment and open trail

OLYMPIA - Commissioner of Public Lands Doug Sutherland today announced that a portion of the popular Walker Valley off-road vehicle (ORV) trails would be re-opened beginning Saturday, Dec. 28. The Washington Department of Natural Resources (DNR) worked with volunteers of several recreational groups to improve the trail system and prevent environmental impact from winter use of the trail system.

"Keeping state lands open to the public is one of my top priorities, and with the help of volunteers and recreational groups, we can do that and keep our forests and streams healthy," said Sutherland. "I want to thank the many volunteers and groups who helped improve the trail system. Without their help this could not have happened. DNR staff did a fantastic job and worked extra hours to give this Christmas present to those who use Walker Valley."

Use of the Walker Valley site is limited to a "winter loop," where trails have been improved to prevent runoff into streams. Volunteers from several groups have committed to helping patrol the area to ensure that riders and other visitors stay on marked trails. DNR enforcement officers also will patrol to keep visitors on the trails, and encourage safe and responsible use of the forest. DNR hopes to open the entire improved trail system in April 2003.

Looking for better ways to provide recreation opportunities, protect native systems
"Walker Valley is an important site for thousands of visitors and is a perfect example of the growing pressures on our state trust lands as their use and popularity increases," said Sutherland. "That's a big part of why I've proposed the Legacy Trust for Recreation and Conservation, which would generate revenue to maintain the thousands of miles of trails on state lands and pay for preservation of critical areas of wildlife habitat. I look forward to working with the Legislature this year to find long-term solutions that will keep state lands like Walker Valley open while protecting clean water and wildlife habitat."

Steward of lands and natural resources
Washington's DNR is steward of forests, meadows, rangelands, lakes, waterways, orchards, farms, and some commercial properties, including 2.1 million acres of forestland. State trust lands are managed to fund construction of public schools, universities, and other state institutions. Other forested trust lands acquired later help fund local services such as roads, fire fighting, and libraries in counties where the lands are located.

State trust forestlands provide many benefits including essential watershed protection, habitat for plant and animal species, educational and public recreation opportunities year-round.
# # #

Top Bottom