MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Did you guys know that walking on the beach after 10pm is a misdemeanor?

Two of my friends were walking out of the beach entrance at Riley beach here in Holland. When they get to the car they notice a cop parked next to them. The cop gets out and says he's sorry, but he has to write them a citation. Walking on the beach after hours is against the law. So they have to go to court now and will get a fine plus the possibility of jail time.

They both think it's stupid and think they can talk their way out of it with the judge tomorrow. The thing is the sign is posted and says the beach is closed at 10pm...so they were doing something kinda illegal. They were not shooting fireworks or partying at all. They actually went for a late swim.

They had tried to get Phil and I to go, but I was told them there is no way I am swimming in Lake Michigan when it is dark.

I understand the wrong, but having to go to court for it is kinda dumb. I could see if they were doing something wrong (fireworks, party, etc). Seems like the cop could have been like, well the beach is closed don't do it again....The cop I guess was really apologetic for even writing them a citation. Just glad I didn't go with them.

So for those of you who do live close to the lake (or any of the Great Lakes) don't get caught after 10pm. The entire lakeshore "closes" at that time.

Well if they aren't at work on Wednesday, I'll know where to find them!

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I'm assuminig its a public beach? If so, welcome to the totalitarian state where personal responsibility has been replaced with big brother govt. I'd argue the sign was obscured, or imposible to see in the dark or something like that. Hopefully they will get off. Sounds like a totally bs law to me:(

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Public beach, unfortunately one known for parties and things to go on at night. The two houses that sandwhich it have been complaining to the city for months about the things that go on at night there. The sign isn't really all that visible even during the day. They are going to try to fight it saying it's not visible. Especially at night. It starts to get dark around 8:30ish (later?) and there aren't any lights in that area. We'll see what happens. The whole thing is kinda humerous, but at the same time so stupid.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Well they got lucky. $50 fine, the judge said it can go as high as $1,000 or 90 days jail time.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Still crazy, I'd fight the fine. It would seem that if they had a case at all they would not have given up $950 of revenue. Either way, its not too bad.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
bikepilot said:
Still crazy, I'd fight the fine. It would seem that if they had a case at all they would not have given up $950 of revenue. Either way, its not too bad.

1000 max is for delinquents who repeatedly break the law, however fighting it and losing will force them to recover their costs and you will pay the 1000 even if youre squeaky clean its easier to just get what they give you........its the american way

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I guess it will still show up on their record...this is a first for both of them...I still think it's funny...I told them not to do it...

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
They should have listend to you. Still seems crazy we are spending our tax dollors to fund armd police to arrest kids taking a walk on a public beach. Aren't there murders, rapes or something serious for them to do?

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
MXGirl230 said:
I guess it will still show up on their record...this is a first for both of them...I still think it's funny...I told them not to do it...

I think you make them a couple cards with numbers on 'em and a string to go around their neck......or buy 'em some striped pj's or something.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
hmm...good idea!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom