oldrnyzr

Sep 2, 2004
After two years of trouble free riding......she quits firing :bang: right in the middle of a berm :( I had been riding a bit and the bike was warm..... fouled plug??? Changed it later that day and rode again two days later and it worked fine for the first moto...... :ohmy: then quit again at the start of the second :nener:
Got home and sound no spark at all from the plug......checked the kill switch...it's ok......checked the coil, it was close to the ohm specs., and the stator checked good too. So CDI is to blame???
Mechanic friend says sometimes when this happens it's the coils fault.... works ok until it get's hot.....

Any help.... and thanks in advance.\\ J.G. :worship:

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
I have seen that kind of problem at my shop and working for other shops on bikes and sleds a lot and 98% of the time it is the stator or a bad spot in one of the wires leading to it. These kinds of failures are very often mis-diagnosed as a CDI problem, only to re-occur after you have spent the $$ on the CDI.

You say it checks good-do you mean the resistance value from wire to wire? Check it cold then check it hot and see how much the resistance rises. It will always rise some, but a big jump will mean it is on its' way out, same applies to the spark coil. The manuals always give those values, but when 'no spark' is occuring, the best check will be checking for continuity to ground through any of the primary coil(stator winding) wires, and doing the same for the secondary(spark coil).

Don't spike the wires, backprobe at the connector(while it is still hooked up) to do these checks first. If you find continuity to ground, then dis-connect the connector and check each end of the wires. This will isolate your problem to a specific component.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom